caravan tyre help

bnar21

Wondering whether anyone can help me on this one... 

about to buy two new tyres. The ones on the van currently are 195/70/14 95

A local tyre fitter can do what appears to be the exact same branded ones (Davanti DX390) in both the H95 at £72 a tyre and an N96 rated version at £57 a tyre. 

Had a look at the rating, suggests N for up to 87mph and the load is rated higher... 

So do I go for the cheaper ones or the ones that match the van currently? 

Like for like avoids any possible problems later.

if they have had no problems in the past they were fine.

my personal opinion only.

Edited by Sonar

A higher load rating gives you a better margin than the makers original tyres , but will give a harsher ride which is why it is important to have the wheels balanced.

Speed rating is somewhat immaterial as the van is limited to 60 mph at the most anyway.

Maybe compare the MTPLM of the van to half the load rating of each tyre and see how much margin each load rating gives you?

The two ratings you quote are 690 and 710kg, respectively.  If it was me, and the MTPLM was under say 1200kg I'd stick with the lower rating.

cheers all, useful info re load rating

MTPLM is 1237kg

Personally I would always go like for like, although the alternatives do look feasible and may be a better idea in real terms. 

1 hour ago, Brecon said:

A higher load rating gives you a better margin than the makers original tyres , but will give a harsher ride which is why it is important to have the wheels balanced.

Speed rating is somewhat immaterial as the van is limited to 60 mph at the most anyway.

whsts the correlation between load rating and balancing tyres?

2 hours ago, bnar21 said:

Wondering whether anyone can help me on this one... 

about to buy two new tyres. The ones on the van currently are 195/70/14 95

A local tyre fitter can do what appears to be the exact same branded ones (Davanti DX390) in both the H95 at £72 a tyre and an N96 rated version at £57 a tyre. 

Had a look at the rating, suggests N for up to 87mph and the load is rated higher... 

So do I go for the cheaper ones or the ones that match the van currently? 

Davanti are a budget range sold via small dealers, they are mainland Chinese made from any of 200 manufacturers.

Personally, I wouldn’t touch any Chinese made tyres with a barge pole, the ratings are often a work of fiction and they are renowned for failing.

Quality branded tyres can be got from the likes of National Tyres or Halfords for not much more than back street budget brands, And they will fit at your house.

Edited by Whomer

Having now read the replies  from.  More. experienced caravaners.

I now suggest it’s not about money it’s about getting the best quality tyres for the job.

after all there are only two tyres and a lot of weight and use.

better quality tyres will most likely last longer . 
and again what price for piece of mind. Rather than towing and always thinking will I make it to my destination .

On my cars, bikes and caravan, even though I am a tightwad, I always buy the better quality tyres, often overspecified. I wouldn't like Chinese tyres, and I am very dubious about the Indonesian GT Radials currently fitted to my van.....but I don't have a choice if I want to keep the standard size and have an acceptable load rating. There's just nothing else available.

For me, I'd go for the higher load rating, because you're probably more likely to inadvertently overload a tyre than you are to cruise the van at 90mph.

turns out the correct tyres are listed in the handbook (who would have thought) and although 95's are currently on, the handbook states 96. So thats what I've opted for. 

If I was heading into Europe or going on mega UK travels I would have been more than likely purchased from the premium brands - thats what I usually get for the cars. In terms of mileage though, the caravan really will not be doing thousands of miles, and to be honest the tyres on now are perfectly useable (no cracks, good tread depth) i'm purely replacing due to age. 

That said, you buy cheap you usually buy twice. Time will tell!