Front drawer/table unit Quasar 462 2018

davidrc

Having recently bought a 2018 Quasar 462 I have a couple of questions about the front "chest of drawers".

Firstly I understand that the top section is normally removable but in ours it is screwed down through the transverse battens it rests on, even though there are turnbuckles which I assume normally keep it in place. I have no problem with it being fixed but it looks to be jutting out between the sofas more than I think it should, there is a gap of 30/40mm between the back of the top section and the front wall of the caravan - see attached photos - is this normal? If not normal can anyone hazard a guess as to why it might have been moved or see any reason why I should not move it back again?

Second question, the table top of this unit incorporates a slide out extension. Problem is it slides out by itself  when travelling, has anyone else had this problem and did you find a fix?

Any info appreciated, thanks.

20210721_193904.jpg

20210721_193929.jpg

I ran a Quasar 464 from 2012 which probably had the same chest but I don't recognise anything in your pictures. Maybe a picture of the overall cabinet from the central aisle will help id the things in my mind.

As for the sliding table top I can't see how it can open out in transit when any braking will only keep it firmly forward and secure. Certainly there is some form of sprung device that should hold it in place.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

My (Clubman) sliding table top came out last weekend. I suggest weakened spring clips over time coupled with bouncy Norfolk roads caused it. 

If it happens again elsewhere, I'll just run with it open!

SDA - once its open, the top surface drops down and effectively locks it open on mine.

We did some weight redistribution prior to the last (bouncy) trip. The wire basket drawers that once held cleaning and cooking sundries now hold foodstuffs, which are of course heavier - the reason for the reshuffle, getting the heavier stuff lower.

This reshuffle meant that the weakness of the basket runner clips has shown itself, so the drawers have been coming open, forcing the cupboard door open too. The cornering forces meant that at the end of the runners travel, the drawers abruptly stop, catapulting various foodstuffs into the main caravan area. Luckily no breakages or spillages but a rethink to secure the baskets is needed!

@davidrc Does the van have wet Central heating (Alde?) rather than blown air? If so, it may be to allow more warm air to connect upwards. Mine has only a small gap so is quite ineffective.....and if I drop anything down the gap, its a royal pain to retrieve it!

We have own caravans of all makes over 48 years and all of them with slide out tables  have been held closed with magnets. 

I think the gap is “normal” for Lunar. I see from your photos you appear to have blown air heating   I think the gap is to allow heat to rise, if you have Alde heating, but it’s probably a standard location

The centre drawer units in both our Lunar Clubmans had screws as well as the turnbuckles.

I assumed they were to stop side to side movement, but were never an issue and never caused any problems.

The pull out table top never moved in transit, but cant recall exactly what held it closed.

We have had two Quasars and the cabinet top should just lift off. If yours is a 2018 I take it that it was bought second and and the previous owner could have modified it. Knowing how things went at Lunar though there is always the possibility that one of the workers forgot this was not a Clubman and gave you the clubman fittings. 

We have never had a problem with the top sliding open when travelling, I would check all the screws holding the unit are tight as they came out on our first Quasar due to poor tightening, and I think it might potentially cause your problem.

Thanks for all the helpful replies.