Whale watermaster pump leaking from housing

dave56

Hi there! Still have not solved the problem of water dripping from  the pump on the  outside.Done everything ? Changed rings /recalibrated the IC control/lubricated the rings with silicone grease etc. On arrival at site a few days ago the pump was fine no drips then  after 2 days started to drip again? So frustrating Someone suggested  it could be the non  return valve. Can't remove the outside housing because Coachman don't screw the housing to the van but it is bonded.. Had it to the dealer's but they said it was fine but  can't have tried it for long. The pump is brand new. Any more suggestions before I give up and put up with the  drips.Life is too short!  Many thanks David

You can buy a Whale Watermaster service kit to replace ALL the rubber parts inside the Watermaster socket. Undo the 4 screws in the blue insert inside the Watermaster flap (from outside) to access the innards.

Other thing to try is removing the 2 screws in the end of the block on the end of the Water pump inlet and ensure the water pipe (the other pipe contains the electrical cable) is fitted tightly on to the spigot on the block - they can come loose.

Thanks for your help. Will get the kit and bite the bullet! A bit nervous  about taking van bits to pieces! An age thing? Cheers

You will be fine, full instructions are with the kit. Suggest an old sheet under the socket as you remove it as there is a couple of bits than can fall out - you will see what I mean but with care and patience it will all go back together nicely. Tighten the 4 screws to hand tight, not TOO tight the housing breaks and if too loosely it will let water past.

Many thanks again.Going home  soon so will wait until I have time to do it carefully.Not good on site with everyone watching!!!  David

Many thanks again.Going home  soon so will wait until I have time to do it carefully.Not good on site with everyone watching!!!  David

It think it could be me because I had the same problem with my previous van and the pump leaked until the day I sold it! Do all these pumps leak a bit? I think that Hayley from  Whale tried to help then but it was never fixed.Talk about history repeating itself!

No the pump should not leak. Always ensure the hose from the aquaroll is pushed well into the AR though as this ensures it can be fed with water plus keeps the bottom of the connector block on the end of the pipe tight into the wall socket which can help prevent leaks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there! Home now and checked the blue hose in the pump-all tight and sealed. Next will try new genuine o rings with PTFE tape underneath and silicone grease.Finally fit slightly thicker o rings and if it still leaks inform dealer on next service to try again. Watch this space! Still find it strange that I had the same problem on my previous van. Cheers David

You are using the flap to push the connector home in the receiving socket aren't you? There is a raised area that engages with the connector and pushes it the last few mm and ensures it stays in place.

I ask this as you mention you had  a similar problem with your previous van so possibly user error?

Thanks Ian  Pretty sure that I fully push down the flap but will check that as user error at my age is not unusual!!!

I had a leak that was internal to the caravan and changed the seals to no avail. I ended up replacing the socket yes a bonded in one! Took a while with a thin scraper to gently prise it free, new one is screwed in place, with sealant so this would also need prising off if it comes to it. 
but one thing I noted was the internal push fit connection had to be pushed down against the flex of the pipe to re-attach it so maybe over time this was distorting the socket enough to cause it to weep?? A bit of replumbing and the connection is now straight. (And so far leak free). 

Hi

My name is Hayley and I work in the marketing team at Whale.

Please feel free to contact our Customer Service Team who will do all they can to assist you with your query. You can call them on 0345 9090 911 or email info@whalepumps.com.

Alternatively, please privately send me the best number to get you on and I will get one of our team to give you a call.

Best wishes,

Hayley

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there all. I have just got back from hols and believe it or not there  was not a sngle drip  from the pump housing. The only thing I did was to change the o rings yet again.This had not made any difference when I tried it before.

So many of you have given advice which was much appreceiated.  I  can't explain it but long may it remain  drip free.'Cheers David.

Nice to get some feedback....you are now the forum's whale water pump expert......

I have had the same problem on my Whale Watermaster, the connector would push out and leak water. Paula at Whale advised replacing the inlet valve, but I figured that as I had the service kit and was pulling the inlet apart, I may as well do the service outlined in the kit. I replaced both the outer O rings, the inlet valve, the inner O rings and the pressure diaphragm. Worked a treat on the last trip.

I had problems with leaks and constantly having to adjust pressure valve.

Changed O rings and then got a kit and changed all innards, all to no avail!

So I bit the bullet and changed the whole socket (bonded and screwed) for about 50 quid.

The system now works exactly as it should.