Has caravanning changed post lockdown

colin h

What does it matter what other caravanners do in the evening as long as they don't disturb you? 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Its certainly changed for us, instead of magical days on cheap sites where we arrive without booking and leave when we feel like we have just had 2 weeks in Devon among crowds unheard of in Europe unless its Venice or somewhere similar, been using public transport because parking was near impossible even at eye watering prices and the weather!

5 hours ago, Readingblue said:

Well, it's very easy to take your kids out of school.

"We've just been pinged by the NHS app" qualifies for a full 10 days.

I reckon the staff shortages are being amplified by people claiming they have been pinged to get 10 days vacation in this scorching weather...

Without a doubt been told by two we personally know  that they have as they said again had extended holidays.

and will do so in September as well.

1 hour ago, Whomer said:

I swear  British caravaners are like vampires in reverse,

as soon as the sun goes down, everyone hides away in their caravans in silence.

Many years ago, we were at Sandringham CCC site. As dusk approached, my young son wanted to walk in the woods. Suffice to say we got a bit lost, and ended up on the CMC site. It was like a graveyard. 
Eventually we found our way back to our site. What a difference, lots of folks sitting out and chatting, with lots of laughing.  It felt so much nicer. This short experience  certainly put me off CMC for many years 

16 minutes ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

Many years ago, we were at Sandringham CCC site. As dusk approached, my young son wanted to walk in the woods. Suffice to say we got a bit lost, and ended up on the CMC site. It was like a graveyard. 
Eventually we found our way back to our site. What a difference, lots of folks sitting out and chatting, with lots of laughing.  It felt so much nicer. This short experience  certainly put me off CMC for many years 

You certainly won’t see a whole pitch of CMC caravanners sitting out round their bbqs in the evenings, beers and bratties in hand, singing the Fliegerlied!

Thank heavens for small mercies!!!

Graham

On 22/07/2021 at 07:10, lunarloopy said:

The upside of all of this of course is next year and year after there is going to be a flood of pre loved(?) ‘vans and motorhomes on the market.

Do you honestly think it will be over for next year?:unsure:

For us it's fully serviced adults only CL's

Edited by David P

2 minutes ago, David P said:

Do you honestly think it will be over for next year?:unsure:

It will be around and talked about at my funeral!

It is here to stay. 

Graham

1 minute ago, WispMan said:

It will be around and talked about at my funeral!

It is here to stay. 

Totally agree. I work for the NHS.

Yes, it has changed. Many more children being taken out of school - not all of them are poorly behaved, however.

FWIW, my view is that you only get one chance of eduction so any days missed for a cheap holiday (even allowing for current circumstances) is not right.

1 hour ago, WispMan said:

Thank heavens for small mercies!!!

go on, you know you want to! 
…And don’t forget to do the right moves

Edited by Whomer

21 hours ago, colin h said:

My post was not about children causing problems. It was the fact that they have been taken out of school when they have missed so much already. Another part of my post was about the abusive reaction from parents.

Surely we should strive for our children to be the best they can be.

perhaps I'm not the person to add to these comments as you say  it's about children's education and I haven't got any children in education and the members of my family who were in the teaching profession have been retired long since. I can only go by what I read and see on TV.  It's been said that the covid has had a greater impact on the mental health of school children, they haven't been able to go out to play with their friends or to even see their relatives and have hugs from their Grandparents. They go back to school only to be told to stay home again. The parents were afraid that by sending the children to school was a risk too far.  Some schools have closed because they haven't got enough staff, and some schools have closed because it is their summer holidays. 

We don't know why the people were abusive toward you, but if it was so many then you must have said something to upset them.  Like you said, you wound them up, why would you want to do that?  We don't know what other people have had to endure  through this covid, perhaps you should give them a bit of slack  and just see to your own  for now.

3 hours ago, joanie said:

perhaps I'm not the person to add to these comments as you say  it's about children's education and I haven't got any children in education and the members of my family who were in the teaching profession have been retired long since. I can only go by what I read and see on TV.  It's been said that the covid has had a greater impact on the mental health of school children, they haven't been able to go out to play with their friends or to even see their relatives and have hugs from their Grandparents. They go back to school only to be told to stay home again. The parents were afraid that by sending the children to school was a risk too far.  Some schools have closed because they haven't got enough staff, and some schools have closed because it is their summer holidays. 

We don't know why the people were abusive toward you, but if it was so many then you must have said something to upset them.  Like you said, you wound them up, why would you want to do that?  We don't know what other people have had to endure  through this covid, perhaps you should give them a bit of slack  and just see to your own  for now.

No I did not go out of my way to upset them. I simply asked asked  out of curiousity if anyone had taken their children out of school . The the abuse came thick and fast. After 67 comments in less than 10 mins that is when i wound them up by claiming to have reported them.     

My 2 daughters have done extremely well. One is a Doctor and the other is studying for her Msc. The reason they did well is because we supported them and made sure they did homework etc. Children from the same school have not faired so well and you know of the parents and there lies the answer. 

I'm a secondary school teacher and they state of schools over the last couple of weeks before summer with the number of kids having to isolate was awful. Some classes had less than a quarter of students in! We always ask for some proof of a test or being pinged too so it's very unlikely many were made up. 

I guess what I'm saying is there was so much chaos they weren't missing the highest quality teaching they've ever had. Having said that they must have booked it a while ago so we're probably going regardless. 

As for the person claiming that staff are faking being pinged to have extended holidays, I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I would imagine the staff doing it are few and far between. Additionally I'd say they're an embarrassment to the profession and have no place calling themselves a teacher. 

On 23/07/2021 at 10:55, Readingblue said:

Well, it's very easy to take your kids out of school.

"We've just been pinged by the NHS app" qualifies for a full 10 days.

I reckon the staff shortages are being amplified by people claiming they have been pinged to get 10 days vacation in this scorching weather...

I did wonder about that, although as most will not get paid it would limit the numbers.

57 minutes ago, MattCooper91 said:

I'm a secondary school teacher and they state of schools over the last couple of weeks before summer with the number of kids having to isolate was awful.

You are 12.  You have been pinged.  You are tested daily and clear.  You stay in you bedroom all day every day. Yeah!:rolleyes:

Getting back to the original question.  Don’t know about caravans but from personal experience there are a lot more people on sites who have never camped before and from the questions I’ve been asked quite a few haven’t done any reading or research before setting out.  Think the media are partly to blame in the way they’ve promoted camping/caravaning.

7 hours ago, Wildwood said:

I did wonder about that, although as most will not get paid it would limit the numbers.

Well, everyone in the public domain will. 

I suspect also that a considerable number of private companies will pay also...

So the last week of school is different in different towns. I know my nice and nephew were at school one week longer than my own children. Maybe this might account for the difference. .?

My other observation is the last week of school in our area was horrendous. My daughter had to isolate due to a covid bubble positive case. Every day we had noticed on the parent portal more bubbles being sent home, if she was there I'm not too sure I would want her there. My other child still in year 6 at primary school had a rather poor final week with disruptions to staffing. Final week wasn't the most educational for her. I understand to some degree the anxiety of school in that final week for parents and pupils. 

I would add I have never let any of my children to miss school and never pulled them out of school for a holiday but I do understand why some would consider it. 

On 24/07/2021 at 11:52, colin h said:

My 2 daughters have done extremely well. One is a Doctor and the other is studying for her Msc. The reason they did well is because we supported them and made sure they did homework etc. Children from the same school have not faired so well and you know of the parents and there lies the answer. 

We also supported our two boys, made sure they did homework, practiced reading/writing etc and learnt life skills just like you!   My boys are both successful in their own way (one is in the Army and one works in home delivery at a large supermarket, both also having worked right through the pandemic) without having had the experience/costs of doing a degree and we are equally as proud of them as you are of your girls.   Having worked in a university, in fact, a medical school for 20 years, I am well aware of the dedication of some students, however it's not for everyone - I don't measure success on qualifications alone and would never consider that mine haven't 'faired so well'.       

As for a change in caravanners, we've also noticed an increase of 'newbies' on the sites we use (predominantly CL's), no issues with behaviour as such, but some with a lot to learn as did we when we started; we just offer help if asked and hope they learn from any mistakes.     

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Cherokee2015 said:

We also supported our two boys, made sure they did homework, practiced reading/writing etc and learnt life skills just like you!   My boys are both successful in their own way (one is in the Army and one works in home delivery at a large supermarket, both also having worked right through the pandemic) without having had the experience/costs of doing a degree and we are equally as proud of them as you are of your girls.   Having worked in a university, in fact, a medical school for 20 years, I am well aware of the dedication of some students, however it's not for everyone - I don't measure success on qualifications alone and would never consider that mine haven't 'faired so well'.       

As for a change in caravanners, we've also noticed an increase of 'newbies' on the sites we use (predominantly CL's), no issues with behaviour as such, but some with a lot to learn as did we when we started; we just offer help if asked and hope they learn from any mistakes.     

I was not suggesting that a degree  or not is the pinnacle but the "not faired so well" kids our children know are doing drugs and all sorts of problems such as antisocial behaviour etc. Perhaps I should have made that clearer. 

And yet we live in a relatively affluent area which demonstrates just what an impact parents have.   More to my point though is that if you take your children out of school then they get a message that says you dont need to respect the law and you can break it if it suits you.

Edited by colin h
Poor education due to parental neglect