Has caravanning changed post lockdown

colin h

We are members of the CMC so perhaps have been spoilt by the quality of most of the sites we have stayed at. Likewise nearly everyone we have met or parked next to had been a pleasure to meet.

However I have joined a couple of facebook sites and watched may posts where people have had their children with them for the last weeks. Now I understand that some schools have broken up early but bearing in mind that sites seem to be very full with adults and children it makes you wonder.

So wonder i did...and asked the question 'have anyone taken their children out of school"

My God the torrent of abuse that came my way was unsolicited and overwhelming venom.  In the end I wound them up a treat but telling them I had reported the worst commenters to their local education auth.

So has the Benidorm, Ibiza lot hijacked caravanning and now we can expect feral parents on site.

Maybe from now till mid September, it would be best to only book Adult Only sites if what you say is right.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I'm sorry to say the correct post would be MORE feral parents.

We’re on Cayton CMHC site this week, Whitby, Filey etc are areas we’ve visited several times before but this time it is very different. We have concluded that a lot of the visitors this year would usually have taken a cheap package holiday abroad somewhere. It isn’t just the kids that are feral, the loud, drunken, foul-mouthed parents are often worse.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

We were all “new caravanners” once and most of us would’ve travelled with young children too. As for taking them out of school - we did. Always  went away end June/beg July as we couldn’t get holidays ourselves during the school holidays. As for reporting offenders to the local authorities, they probably already know, as the parents will have completed a holiday form. Going back to the original question - yes, it’s much busier out there!

Didn't this years students in their final year of senior school get kicked out early (Exams held early) because they didn't want them in the schools after the exams....?-Maybe this group have been the kids people have seen?-Yes I appreciate most 15/16 year old boys have facial hair and the girls have full make-up ;-)

1 hour ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Didn't this years students in their final year of senior school get kicked out early (Exams held early) because they didn't want them in the schools after the exams....?-Maybe this group have been the kids people have seen?-Yes I appreciate most 15/16 year old boys have facial hair and the girls have full make-up ;-)

Loads of pre-teen geniuses where I have just been then:o

7 minutes ago, SamD said:

Loads of pre-teen geniuses where I have just been then:o

Where have you just been?

Got to look at both sides of the coin here. People want a holiday and the prices that many campsites and b&bs are offering in school holiday time is quite frankly frightening, but I guess these places need to recoup their money as well. Britain this summer is going to be the busiest it has ever been pre lockdown and will probably be as busy it is ever going to get. So many folks simply can’t afford these prices and so taking their kids out of school for that week and the probable fine they may incur (but in reality never end up paying) pales into significance to the saving they make going during term time.

so I say live and let live, enjoy the weather, enjoy the sound of kids laughing but get the ear plugs in around 10pm. Ha ha

4 hours ago, WispMan said:

Maybe from now till mid September, it would be best to only book Adult Only sites if what you say is right.

I've only ever had problems with adults being too loud late at night. 

We are in Porth Madog setting up for a THS which starts today, the locals are saying they have never been busier, and because of Mr Drakeford you have to book everything in advance, and almost every attraction has been booked up for weeks. The upside of all of this of course is next year and year after there is going to be a flood of pre loved(?) ‘vans and motorhomes on the market.

Spoke to a customer who had been around Beddgelert last week with his motorhome. Asked him what Wales was like. He said it was quiet. 

2 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

Spoke to a customer who had been around Beddgelert last week with his motorhome. Asked him what Wales was like. He said it was quiet. 

My Daughter got married this weekend and we had some very long standing friends come over from Aberystwyth who have said it is manic along the coast 

I cycled through Filey earlier (around 9.00am) and it was deserted. Sunday afternoon it resembled Benidorm.

We too have only ever been bothered by noisy drunken adults.

What does it matter anyway, kids are kids, they make noise (when not on phones) It's not a new thing

Two weeks tomorrow we set off on our holiday as a family of four. Wife and I with our two girls. 11 and 14. Irrespective of covid it is our holiday of choice but for us our first two week holiday in our first caravan. We are so excited. I dont think we have looked forward to a holiday as much as this one for a very long time. Both of us work sector's that never closed, I don't think I have worked harder in my life.  Worth a mention we did tents and trailer tents working up to our first van so no stranger to campsites. 

I think the choice of site and location is a huge factor here. We stay on a immaculate site, it has spacious pitches of varying rates per night. Has strict rules on groups etc and honestly I have never seen of heard bad behaviour from children.  In fact more often than not they make a pen friend. My eldest is very much looking forward to meeting a girl who she met two years previously. 

I accept in some places somewhere there might be occasions when celebrations extend to unsociable hours but on the whole these are rare. I dare say most folk have had a tough year, I dare say we have all at some point had one too many and maybe been a bit loud too.  

Campsite wardens do have their benefits at times. 

we have been to 5 sites in recent months  and I can't complain. Kids have been riding their bikes and playing in the play area, only noise was laughter. The latest we heard any one talking was 10 p.m.  Dogs were also pretty good, we would hear the odd bark when perhaps another dog passed by, but nothing to shout about.  I do feel that some folk may have high expectations of what should go  on  on a camp site  full of people

We mainly stay on adult only sites or small CS/CL sites with limited facilities, next week will be a test as the kids are now off school, but so far after 5 sites this year, no problems.

My post was not about children causing problems. It was the fact that they have been taken out of school when they have missed so much already. Another part of my post was about the abusive reaction from parents.

Surely we should strive for our children to be the best they can be.

Our education system used to be valued by all parents. Sadly nowadays we live in a selfish society where parents consider schooling to be nothing more than a free child minding service that they can use & abuse as they see fit. My wife is a teaching assistant and the attitude of some parents is incredible…..

7 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

Our education system used to be valued by all parents. Sadly nowadays we live in a selfish society where a minority of parents consider schooling to be nothing more than a free child minding service that they can use & abuse as they see fit. My wife is a teaching assistant and the attitude of some parents is incredible…..

Please don't tar us all with the same brush!

I'm sure that overall, little has changed. There were always families that didn't sign up for education. In the distant past, that was optional and the kids we speak of often wouldn't have been in school at all. Now it's compulsory and I think we are better at finding the kids that slip through the gaps than we used to be. 

Edit: we've just received a message from one of the kids teachers: apparently we made her cry (but in a good way) with my wife's choice of the now obligatory end of year gift.  

Edited by Scarab

Well, it's very easy to take your kids out of school.

"We've just been pinged by the NHS app" qualifies for a full 10 days.

I reckon the staff shortages are being amplified by people claiming they have been pinged to get 10 days vacation in this scorching weather...

4 minutes ago, Scarab said:

Please don't tar us all with the same brush!

We’re not all the same (we’re parents ourselves) but there is a definite shift in the attitude (appreciation?) of our education system by a lot of parents that we’ve encountered. Some of the stories I could relay from my wife’s school really tell a very sad tale.

I swear  British caravaners are like vampires in reverse,

as soon as the sun goes down, everyone hides away in their caravans in silence.