Resealing around locker frames? What product

smith100s

As per description I noticed mine are looking a bit dry and crumbly. It's a tiny neat bead from locker frame to body. 

What's the recommendation to reseal. 

Also should I remove or go over what's already  there with careful masking? 

Unless it's leaking I would suggest it's best to leave well alone. The top surface of the non-setting mastics does degrade and look crumbly after a few years while the inside remains sound.

In severe cases of degradation or leaks it can need  replacing but then the frame must be removed, all traces of old mastic removed, then then re-applied.

New mastic will not satisfactorily adhere or seal to old.

You could carefully trim off any excess with a sharp plastic spatula. As mentioned above, don’t disturb anything too much if they aren’t leaking!

For a spatula you can use a cheap Vitrex silicone sealant scraper shaped into a corner edge. Get them from Screwfix.

But don't mess about unless you intend removing the frame and removing and replacing all the mastic. Don't just slap some more over the top. Just gouging some of the older mastic out is likely to stretch and wrinkle old drying mastic making it more likely to leak.

Check what sealant is there now. Traditionally it's a non-setting mastic. Very occasionally I've seen a new van with silicone or maybe it was something like Sikaflex 512 adhesive/sealant. Don't know whether by design or not. White spirit will remove old mastic - eventually. Test paintwork to be sure no damage will occur.

Soudal make both adhesive sealants and mastic non-setting types in cartridges. You can also get the non-setting type on a roll in tape form which makes it a bit easier to apply neatly. The adhesive/sealant types should be regarded as permanent as it makes repairs/replacement difficult. It can be removed with some effort, but sometimes damaging the part being removed.

I thought that this was going to be simple job! 

I replaced all the locker doors, but not the frames, on my 2010 pegasus 462 as some of the locks and the flimsy catches were failing. While I did this I cleaned all around the old locker frames with isopropyl alcohol  and ran a fine bead of sealant around the corner of the joint between the frame and caravan wall, smoothed down with a finger in soapy water. I used Soudal Fixall crystal. It's virtually invisible, shows no sign of degrading and sticks like the proverbial if you clean the surface well.

John

Edited by johntog

On 21/07/2021 at 23:20, johntog said:

I replaced all the locker doors, but not the frames, on my 2010 pegasus 462 as some of the locks and the flimsy catches were failing. While I did this I cleaned all around the old locker frames with isopropyl alcohol  and ran a fine bead of sealant around the corner of the joint between the frame and caravan wall, smoothed down with a finger in soapy water. I used Soudal Fixall crystal. It's virtually invisible, shows no sign of degrading and sticks like the proverbial if you clean the surface well.

John

Worth a try?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153953928530?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D8014a19e7dc94d17aa99ba9fc3bdda6b%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D111717435816%26itm%3D153953928530%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DSoudal&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A1a361926-ed7d-11eb-ba61-9e44892a6943|parentrq%3Adf1acb8817a0a7b9dd0461ebfff710fa|iid%3A1

Edited by gtepete