South of France

Never ventured further south than Orleans before.  Being realistic, how long should I plan for when driving to the Cote D'Azur ?  Not bothered about paying tolls etc. I would like to spend 10 days at my destination, but not sure how much travelling time I need either way. Based in Manchester so I would most likely do the journey from home to Dover and get the ferry or Eurotunnel and spend first night in France before carrying on.  Any input would be much appreciated 

Ian 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot depends on when you are going, since there are days at the start middle and end of the French school holidays when the autoroutes will be very slow in places.  If you are towing, I would allow at least two overnight stops on the French side.  Why not consider the Languedoc  coast instead? It's much quieter down there and you can use the A74 from Claremont-Ferrand all the way to the coast, most of which is toll free.

We are based in Essex.

We use a early ferry about 7am so we can have breakfast and relax.

Remembering you lose an hour during the summer months once you hit France we drive down to Burgundy for an over night stop.

The following day we complete our journey to Cote D'azur.

Its a very fast two days but doable depending on your health and ability to stay awake and concerntrate ;-)

From Manchester I'd need another day!

The site we use in Burgundy just off the auto-route is Le Château de l'Epervière booked via the Caravan Club.

The site we use in the South of France is Riviera d'Azur also booked via the Caravan Club.

I hope these suggestions help in your search.

750 miles on the motorway at 50 mph = 15 hours minimum driving time,  plus stops for meals, fuel and traffic jams.

6 minutes ago, moorgate said:

750 miles on the motorway at 50 mph = 15 hours minimum driving time,  plus stops for meals, fuel and traffic jams.

For clarity is that based on the French part of the journey?

We travel from Stoke-on-Trent to a campsite a few minutes from the French side of the tunnel on the first day.

There to Chartres municiple campsite on the first day ( diesel up and shopping at nearby supermarket) then down to a suitable campsite around Limoges / Clermont F  distance for third night, then wherever we are going by the fourth night. Around 250 miles each day. Allows time for sorting out and shopping and getting set up before it is late.

It does depend on how long you have for your hols.

We live in Manchester area and we start the journey into France as soon as we have finished work leaving around 5pm for a shuttle time around 1 am gives us plenty of time and the possibility of being put on an earlier train

We then travel to Bia  de somme services and then sleep there and leave when refreshed to carry on to Le mans 

it seems to work best for us being well into France within 24 hours of leaving work 

Edited by Ashey

31 minutes ago, Ashey said:

We then travel to Bia  de somme services and then sleep there and leave when refreshed to carry on to Le mans 

You go via Le mans to get to the south of France from Le Shuttle?

The OP wants info to get to the Cote D'azur .......

It really depends how many hours you wish to drive in a day. We once did the return journey to Calais, from the south, with one midway stop. However on the way down we used to take a bit longer often stay a couple of days at a couple of sites, or perhaps divert to the Alps for 3/4 days before continuing the journey. Even if doing overnight stops it might be an idea to plan for two and arrive around lunch time at your intended long stay site. This gives you the afternoon to set everything so you are then on your real holiday the next day. I don't know if this will be any help to you but this might help http://www.davidklyne.co.uk/the_route_south_2.html

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

16 minutes ago, klyne said:

It really depends how many hours you wish to drive in a day. We once did the return journey to Calais, from the south, with one midway stop. However on the way down we used to take a bit longer often stay a couple of days at a couple of sites, or perhaps divert to the Alps for 3/4 days before continuing the journey. Even if doing overnight stops it might be an idea to plan for two and arrive around lunch time at your intended long stay site. This gives you the afternoon to set everything so you are then on your real holiday the next day. I don't know if this will be any help to you but this might help http://www.davidklyne.co.uk/the_route_south_2.html

David

Brilliant link David and one I will bookmark for future reference...thank you :-)

1 hour ago, charlieboy2608 said:

You go via Le mans to get to the south of France from Le Shuttle?

The OP wants info to get to the Cote D'azur .......

I was just saying what we do within the first 24 hours from Manchester to be honest never manged to get to south perhaps I should have said we go through Rouen around Dinner time :rolleyes: 

1 minute ago, Ashey said:

through Rouen

Good place to refill with cheap fuel too :-)

What we do & have done is.

Leave Wales, get to Black Horse Farm (CMC affiliated site Dover/Folkestone) for an over night stop. Up early for the 05:50 shuttle, or a ferry, cheaper crossing? Drive down to Lyon, via Reims, Troyes, Dijon, Macon, over night  north of Lyon at a campsite, just off motorway, there are a number of sites there, Camp de Lyon springs to mind. Then on to your destination on the next day. I has worked for us in the past. Because of covid cant comment if any are still trading. I am the sole drive so it works for me.

Hope it helps?

6 minutes ago, David P said:

Leave Wales, get to Black Horse Farm (CMC affiliated site Dover/Folkestone) for an over night stop. Up early for the 05:50 shuttle, or a ferry, cheaper crossing? Drive down to Lyon, via Reims, Troyes, Dijon, Macon, over night  north of Lyon at a campsite, just off motorway, there are a number of sites there, Camp de Lyon springs to mind. Then on to your destination on the next day. I has worked for us in the past. Because of covid cant comment if any are still trading. I am the sole drive so it works for me.

Hope it helps?

Good idea :-)

9 hours ago, David P said:

Hope it helps?

470 miles in a day.  Not a good way to start a holiday.

10 hours ago, moorgate said:

470 miles in a day.  Not a good way to start a holiday.

With comfort/fuel stops, arrive at tea time, something to eat, then bed and start again, the next day to your destination. We have friends that do Spain overnight driving once off tunnel. I have not tried it?

Each of us to their own. What suits some, don't suit others?:blush:

To put journey times/distances into respective people who are still working and have limited amounts of holiday probably wish to blitz the journey to arrive at their destinations and then do the same on the return-tiring yes but effective time management.

Where as people who have retired or perform part time occupation's would probably spend a few days doing shorter journey sections and make it part of the Holiday and site seeing on route and won't perhaps have the time constraints.

As Charlieboy 2608 says we are on holiday striaght away we are excited so the 280 miles to the over 8 hours  is not stressfull 

I find if i leave home  early morning i do not sleep the night before  and i am the  same if I stop over near the tunnel 

But if I sleep in France I can get a more relaxed night and  move on when ready with no deadline to keep 

I am the opposite of the main stay here. I do, do long large travel jumps. If i have only a set period of holiday time from work. Bumbling along taking three days to get somewhere is a ridiculous notion. Why would i spend half my holiday driving somewhere to then turn around the same day and drive back again. Far to many people at this forum have forgotten what its like to work in tight constraints of the modern world.

Whilst yes i agree 250 is roughly five hours driving. i don't agree with the lets take five days to drive somewhere.

Manchester to Dover roughly 300miles and 6 hours to drive,

Working with the idea that you are going to leave after work at 5pm on a Friday night. That puts you in Dover around midnight. Park up on the harbour wall as we do. Get the 5am ferry that puts you in France for the morning.

That means your first day of the holiday is the drive from north to south France, easily done in a single day.

And might i also add, to ruffle the feathers even more so of the the majority of the tight wads and  geriatrics that flood this forum. TOLLS ARE THE BEST WAY TO TRAVEL THROUGH FRANCE!!!!

Quick clean and faster than the non toll main roads, when you want to cover large distances. Go on the mitchelin road site to get a road map and toll costs

1 hour ago, hedgerowpete said:

I am the opposite of the main stay here. I do, do long large travel jumps. If i have only a set period of holiday time from work. Bumbling along taking three days to get somewhere is a ridiculous notion. Why would i spend half my holiday driving somewhere to then turn around the same day and drive back again. Far to many people at this forum have forgotten what its like to work in tight constraints of the modern world.

Whilst yes i agree 250 is roughly five hours driving. i don't agree with the lets take five days to drive somewhere.

Manchester to Dover roughly 300miles and 6 hours to drive,

Working with the idea that you are going to leave after work at 5pm on a Friday night. That puts you in Dover around midnight. Park up on the harbour wall as we do. Get the 5am ferry that puts you in France for the morning.

That means your first day of the holiday is the drive from north to south France, easily done in a single day.

And might i also add, to ruffle the feathers even more so of the the majority of the tight wads and  geriatrics that flood this forum. TOLLS ARE THE BEST WAY TO TRAVEL THROUGH FRANCE!!!!

Quick clean and faster than the non toll main roads, when you want to cover large distances. Go on the mitchelin road site to get a road map and toll costs

Being a geriatric, and a tightwad, I disagree about tolls.  TOLL ROADS ARE THE QUICKEST WAY TO TRAVEL THROUGH FRANCE.  They aren't 'best'.   Especially if you are 'time rich and money poor as we are'.   For us the best roads are those from which you get to see beautiful villages, be able to stop at local markets, bathe in a babbling river,  walk to a waterfall, find posters advertising nearby events, stop at a lovely municipal campsite for as long as you need to join in a local Fete, and even take part in a wedding.  We have a house in the South of France, and pay a minimum amount in tolls every journey, and over the years we've seen a great deal of 'off-autoroute' France, and enjoyed some amazing adventures, not just a 'drive south'.  

I have followed David Klynes timetable , from Calais  to the Med with 2 overnights and arriving early enough on day 3 to get set up or (and its not happened) look for a different/better site  and constrained by work we always took 3 weeks and allowed one of them for travel. We found it no problem to do the outward journey in this way but the one time I came back without factoring in an extra day for a break I was exhausted the following week.

We started off using toll motorways but used them less each year afterwards. Now with time I rarely use them unless it makes for a significantly easier journey and its not invariably the case.

1 hour ago, ValA said:

Being a geriatric, and a tightwad, I disagree about tolls.  TOLL ROADS ARE THE QUICKEST WAY TO TRAVEL THROUGH FRANCE.  They aren't 'best'.   Especially if you are 'time rich and money poor as we are'.   For us the best roads are those from which you get to see beautiful villages, be able to stop at local markets, bathe in a babbling river,  walk to a waterfall, find posters advertising nearby events, stop at a lovely municipal campsite for as long as you need to join in a local Fete, and even take part in a wedding.  We have a house in the South of France, and pay a minimum amount in tolls every journey, and over the years we've seen a great deal of 'off-autoroute' France, and enjoyed some amazing adventures, not just a 'drive south'.  

Ah, but that's a different kettle of fish ValA - you've made the journey part of your holiday !

I used to do the journey to Toulon a couple of times a year, always did it in one hit (albeit sans caravans), I imagine when the time comes to do with when towing, I would attempt to do it in one go as well.

One good thing about toll roads is there are no tractors, cyclists people and a lot less cars and all going in the same direction  and as a driver you can enjoy your views more  and stick on the cruise control 

1 hour ago, Ashey said:

One good thing about toll roads is there are no tractors, cyclists people and a lot less cars and all going in the same direction  and as a driver you can enjoy your views more  and stick on the cruise control 

What I would add to that comment is if you travel on a Sunday you won't see many lorries as I understand they require  a permit to use the auto-routes on that day....unless my information is wrong-anybody care to comment please?

Edited by charlieboy2608

It’s only lorries carrying perishable goods (food) and medical supplies that are allowed on any of the French roads from mid-day Saturday until midnight Sunday into Monday

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.