2019 Swift - dealer after sales/warranty problems

alpa16

i purchased a brand new caravan in july2019 and used it for 5days just to check every thing was ok then covid  lockdown happened and was unable to go away to our booked holiday caravan site also caravan storage site was also in lockdown then in june 2021 we went away and while we was away i noticed a paint fault on the caravan next to the front awning rail on both sides it looks like it has been touched up with a 3inch brush i got in touch  with the supplier who is a reputable dealer who then informed me that if i not had its annual service carried out it would make guarantee void which i have was told to send photos which i did so that he could forward to the manufacture of the caravan which i did  i then phoned  to ask if they had been received as i was speaking to him he said they were coming through and would forward them on to the manufacture i phoned them up about 10days later telling them i had not received any correspondence from them they were unable to find the email of the photos i sent i was informed they would be in contact with me  i have phoned up a couple more times and each time been told they would phone but never have i did a silly thing i paid part debit the rest bank transfer how do i stand

• Martin changed the title to 2019 Swift - dealer after sales/warranty problems

Manufacturers did extend warranties to enable buyers to keep vans serviced when dealers were closed but I think you may have a problem stretching it to two years. July 19 to June 21.

Warranties weren't extended but 

manufacturers did extend the service interval period to take the non-essential business closures into account during the first lockdown.

The post refers to purchase in 2019 and use in 2021. What happened in 2020? We weren't in lockdown for the whole year. Dealerships reopened for servicing and repairs etc. plus storage facilities also reopened. Was it serviced in accordance with the warranty terms & conditions?

Have a look at the link below we should get 2 years. Not sure if this regulation still apply's, but I think it will. Not all EU legislation ended on leaving the EU. Also Talk to trading standards

Good luck

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1677034/Two-year-warranty-EU-law.html

21 minutes ago, Dun Grafting said:

Have a look at the link below we should get 2 years. Not sure if this regulation still apply's, but I think it will. Not all EU legislation ended on leaving the EU. Also Talk to trading standards

Good luck

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1677034/Two-year-warranty-EU-law.html

Sorry but this is providing inaccurate information. The article in the link is dated 04/06/2009, updated 26/01/2010 and the EU Directive was never incorporated into UK law. The Consumer Rights Act 2015 came into effect after the directive and is what has applied since 01/10/2015.

We purchased our MY2019 Caravan in Feb of that year. It went back to swift in October of the same year, for  internal build issues. luckily for us we had it's first annual service in Feb 2020, just before lockdown. We have had it's second service in June of this year, some 16 months later because of the second lockdown all authorised & approved by Swift? Just waiting for AL-KO to approve warranty work with the wheel hubs over the defective break lining issue AL-KO has?

We did get away a couple of time in 2020, between lockdown's and work (NHS)

swift warranty - Swift have entended the service window for extra 7 months for those due between 1/9/20 and 30/04/21 . Your 1st service should have been done between June - August 2020 then really as you are allowed roughly 6 weeks either side of the van's 'birthday'.

Think you'll struggle with this. But it's up to the dealer to sort it out with you.

Can you post a photo of the area?

Aren't we all missing the point a little here?

Yes, it's likely that the warranty has been voided but that doesn't mean you don't have rights to expect the product to be built and finished correctly.

Others on here have far more experience than me, but I would have thought that given the amount of effort already put in by the OP to make contact with the dealer, it's now time for the letter to them mentioning the relevant customer rights regulations and words like "legal advice"

On the face of it, it reads that the OP used the caravan once for 5 days in July 2019 to check it all after purchase but found nothing wrong, put it in storage then didn't see it again until 2 years later in June 2021 when the paint issue was first noticed. By its description, "...looks like it was touched up with a 3 inch brush..." it sounds like it could be quite visible.

Under consumer rights legislation  (CRA 2015) after 6 months of ownership the presumption in law that any fault/defect was present at the point of delivery ends and the onus falls on the buyer to prove the fault/defect was always present. Not easy after this length of time.

If the caravan still hasn't been serviced, I would be booking it in for one so the dealer can see the issue first hand.

Obtaining legal advice is always an option, via Citizens Advice Bureau, subscription to Which? Legal or free through an insurance policy which includes legal advice or through membership of one of the two main clubs.

Edited by Legal Eagle

There is of course another possibility... That the van was damaged in storage and someone who inflicted the damage bodged together a fix.

At our storage, all caravan movements are done by the storage company (apparently for insurance purposes!) and they certainly don't take the kind of care over the vans that I would personally take. 

The vans are crammed together and moved on the back of a pickup truck. If it were my site I'd have some kind of mini tractor or quad bike with a front mounted tow ball for precise movement.

One example I saw was use of a trolley jack under the chassis to get the wheel in the correct place for an AL-KO wheel lock. Then fixed the lock in place before lowering the wheel allowing the van to move in position as the locked wheel doesn't move... Hmm.

Problem is storage sites are like hens teeth.

One thing they are extremely diligent about is checking the insurance documents. Every year I get a reminder to send the new policy across.

They clearly want every van owner to be insured as the first port of call with any issues.

I certainly have zero expectation they would man up to any damaged inflicted.

From experience,  I used to trust the dealer...I now check every square inch before we take our van away from the dealers. Yes, I use their step ladder  to check the upper levels and roof area. In total, over a 10 year period  we have had about a £1000 of repairs or goods in lieu after spotting undeclared damage gained at the dealers. Its is also worth asking for a copy of the body damage report when you drop your van in. So it makes it easy to argue damage was done while on the premises. Once you drive off the premises you will have little chance of proving anything. 

On 19/07/2021 at 20:03, Legal Eagle said:

Warranties weren't extended but 

manufacturers did extend the service interval period to take the non-essential business closures into account during the first lockdown.

The post refers to purchase in 2019 and use in 2021. What happened in 2020? We weren't in lockdown for the whole year. Dealerships reopened for servicing and repairs etc. plus storage facilities also reopened. Was it serviced in accordance with the warranty terms & conditions?

regarding what happened in 2020 i like most of the uk were in region lockdown one way or another ie  caravan sites closed and if any were open they were fully booked or limited amenities no shower or toilet blocks open as my wife and i are both disable it is essential that we need these amenities as for servicing this has been done to manufacturers requirements 

On 19/07/2021 at 19:20, alpa16 said:

i purchased a brand new caravan in july2019 and used it for 5days just to check every thing was ok then covid  lockdown happened and was unable to go away to our booked holiday caravan site also caravan storage site was also in lockdown then in june 2021 we went away and while we was away i noticed a paint fault on the caravan next to the front awning rail on both sides it looks like it has been touched up with a 3inch brush i got in touch  with the supplier who is a reputable dealer who then informed me that if i not had its annual service carried out it would make guarantee void which i have was told to send photos which i did so that he could forward to the manufacture of the caravan which i did  i then phoned  to ask if they had been received as i was speaking to him he said they were coming through and would forward them on to the manufacture i phoned them up about 10days later telling them i had not received any correspondence from them they were unable to find the email of the photos i sent i was informed they would be in contact with me  i have phoned up a couple more times and each time been told they would phone but never have i did a silly thing i paid part debit the rest bank transfer how do i stand update today we travelled 130 mile round trip to the dealer to personally to show them the picture they said pictures not  adequate they must see the fault themselves so i would have to bring caravan i said that is not what you told me in the first place so asked why they did not phone never replied to that question so now i have to take caravan back to the dealer for them to have a look at it then  come home  

at a later date take caravan back in for repair leave come home then when it has been repaired go pick it up  in total 520miles

48 minutes ago, alpa16 said:

regarding what happened in 2020 i like most of the uk were in region lockdown one way or another ie  caravan sites closed and if any were open they were fully booked or limited amenities no shower or toilet blocks open as my wife and i are both disable it is essential that we need these amenities as for servicing this has been done to manufacturers requirements 

You're saying it was serviced in 2020 then, if it met manufacturer requirements, albeit the service may have been delayed a few months as allowed due to the covid time period extension. Swift have said though that despite allowing servicing to be late, the original anniversary date is still  preserved so the 2nd service is now due. If you book it in you can get it looked at then.

3 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

You're saying it was serviced in 2020 then, if it met manufacturer requirements, albeit the service may have been delayed a few months as allowed due to the covid time period extension. Swift have said though that despite allowing servicing to be late, the original anniversary date is still  preserved so the 2nd service is now due. If you book it in you can get it looked at then.

had 1st service done august 2020  second  service done july 2021 he did not pick up the paint fault when i pointed it out  to him his reply was i have never seen a problem like that and no idea how it could have happened

So you have fully complied with the servicing requirements of Swift? By the sounds of it your dealer cannot be bothered! No doubt Legal Eagle can offer some advice but it’s awful when someone happily relieves you of your money but won’t fulfill their obligations when a problem arises.

Good luck and be persistent.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

1 hour ago, alpa16 said:

had 1st service done august 2020  second  service done july 2021 he did not pick up the paint fault when i pointed it out  to him his reply was i have never seen a problem like that and no idea how it could have happened

Contact Swift directly and inform them that the supplying dealer is refusing to look at a manufacturer's warranty claim. Swift can only compel the supplying dealer to action a warranty claim. Their contact page is here but be quick as they will start their Summer shut down very soon.

Edited by Legal Eagle

3 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

Contact Swift directly and inform them that the supplying dealer is refusing to look at a manufacturer's warranty claim. Swift can only compel the supplying dealer to action a warranty claim. Their contact page is

55 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

Contact Swift directly and inform them that the supplying dealer is refusing to look at a manufacturer's warranty claim. Swift can only compel the supplying dealer to action a warranty claim. Their contact page is here but be quick as they will start their Summer shut down very soon.

here but be quick as they will start their Summer shut down very soon.

may i say i had my service done at a local swft approved agent but when i first contacted the swift dealer where  i purchased caravan from i was told to send photos which they received and said they would forward them to swift and after several phone calls and no response decided to travel 120 mile round trip and show them photos they said they would have to see  caravan themselves  i pointed out to them a phone call or email informing me that i would have to bring the caravan they did not reply so now i have to make another 120mile round trip 

11 minutes ago, alpa16 said:

may i say i had my service done at a local swft approved agent but when i first contacted the swift dealer where  i purchased caravan from i was told to send photos which they received and said they would forward them to swift and after several phone calls and no response decided to travel 120 mile round trip and show them photos they said they would have to see  caravan themselves  i pointed out to them a phone call or email informing me that i would have to bring the caravan they did not reply so now i have to make another 120mile round trip 

It really does sound like your dealer is behaving rather badly! It is of no significance to them if you have your warranty performed by any other approved Swift centre/mobile engineer et al - As LE suggested above, contact Swift as soon as possible and explain your predicament. The first thing to ask is if they have record of your service - if they do great, if they don’t send them proof of the services and get the warranty up,to date soonest. 

Do keep us posted how you get on and fingers crossed! 

Cheers, Martin

1 minute ago, Martin said:

It really does sound like your dealer is behaving rather badly! It is of no significance to them if you have your warranty performed by any other approved Swift centre/mobile engineer et al - As LE suggested above, contact Swift as soon as possible and explain your predicament. The first thing to ask is if they have record of your service - if they do great, if they don’t send them proof of the services and get the warranty up,to date soonest. 

Do keep us posted how you get on and fingers crossed! 

thanks for info when i went to the dealers i asked if they could inform me if the services have been recorded  at swift after looking on his computer i was informed that both had been recorded and everything was upto date again thanks

23 minutes ago, alpa16 said:

It would have been useful to know that the servicing agent was not the supplying dealer to start with! Only the selling dealer can be compelled by Swift to address warranty claims. Other Swift dealers and approved workshops are not obliged to, and many won't touch anything they didn't sell. Always best to buy local'ish if you can.

Contact Swift directly and explain the issue. Might save yourself an unnecessary 120 mile trip.

Edited by Legal Eagle

3 minutes ago, alpa16 said:

thanks for info when i went to the dealers i asked if they could inform me if the services have been recorded  at swift after looking on his computer i was informed that both had been recorded and everything was upto date again thanks

Is there another local Swift approved dealer/centre who will take on the warranty work? Swift can help identify one, or check yourself here;

https://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/find-a-dealer/type/repairer

Cheers, Martin

My feeling is that Swift would turn down any warranty claim as there would be no evidence that the problem was there when the caravan left there factory, if the dealer did not spot it when they unloaded it and paint damage could happen at the dealers, although if it is both sides I do not understand where or how it came about. Surely if it was at Swift they would have used the correct paint though. 

Not sure how bad the problem is,but if the dealer will not repair your only option would be a small claims action against the dealer for the cost. They are liable to repair any faults under The Consumer Protection Act. The lack of a service by an approved dealer is irrelevant as it would not have shown up the problem. 

If the paint “looks like it’s been touched up with a 3 inch brush” is it raised lines that are visible? Could it be an area where the gel-coat is thin and the fibreglass mat is visible? This might well give an appearance of brush marks. Either way it isn’t right.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB