Jump to content

Abandoned our site today!


PR1
 Share

Recommended Posts

Well only the second time in eleven years and today we left our site at Kempsford. Off grid, and absolutely stinking hot. 26 at 10 o’clock, 31 at 1.00. 
Impossible to keep cool with the blowers on, a single 12volt fan, all windows open. No way we could use our 230 volt fans!

As Lizzie has health issues I cleared up and set off for home! Came down through Tetbury and the road was melting.

In all not an experience I want to repeat, and we usually spend May, June and July in the south of France, but not off grid!

Edited by PR1

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds like you did the right thing... We're away this week and according to the forecast it will be 29degC. Cools off nicely at night though surely?! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We’re at Cayton CMHC site and today is a lot more comfortable than yesterday. We arrived and the car temperature gauge said 30 degrees. Setting up in that wasn’t fun!

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In Oban today and it was a balmy 17C. Only in the UK.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was speaking to breakdown chap on a record breaking hot day several years ago and he had spent all day going to rescue cars with caravans with caravan tyres having failed so if towing take care all of you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good job and good for you, caravanning is supposed to be enjoyment not a feat of endurance.

I would have done the same. Family first and foremost.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stuck yesterday for nearly four hours south of the tunnel M25. Scorching. Never thought I would be sat in a caravan with my feet up on the middle lane of a motorway with ensuite facilities. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For once I am not disappointed that our van has been back at the dealers for the past week and maybe this week too. It’s no fun being in  a hot tin box. 42degs C in Lake Garda 9 years ago had us packing up early and heading for the Austrian mountains. I’m struggling with 30 degs C at home.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Although Saturday was hot it’s been a very pleasant 20 degrees since then up near Scarborough. The recently refurbished Cayton CMHC site is very nice.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We would not worry about the temperature, we have enough windows and roof lights to open and can move air round the caravan with the fan. But off grid perhaps things would be different as the lack f electricity might make keeping cool too difficult.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Im currentim currently sat at Putts corner, Devon and with all the roof lights and windows open and a fan the temp inside the van is reading 36 deg. Not very nice

Edited by Marcusp
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We drove down to Hampshire today in our convertible,  it got too hot so roof up ac on on the motorway.

It was nice when we started with top down.

Car showed 30.5degrees.

Edited by 664DaveS
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Far too many  caravans have terrible ventilation and very poor insulation.

Never felt the need for a fan inside mine even in hottest weather.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have just returned from 11 days away and the last four have been exceptionally hot. We had a Maxx Air fan fitted to our motorhome and it is surprisingly effective. I assume if you are off grid you have solar panels to charge the leisure batteries. Road Pro fitted ours https://www.roadpro.co.uk/catalogue/03b-maxxair-maxxfan-roof-vents

 

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

 

Caravan Travels

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 664DaveS said:

We drove down to Hampshire today in our convertible,  it got too hot so roof up ac on on the motorway.

It was nice when we started with top down.

Car showed 30.5degrees.

It is here right now. 20:35. 29 degrees. In Hampshire Southampton..

Edited by Sonar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

we have been away in the heat before but there was just no breeze, it just felt like the air was being sucked out, anyway we managed to find some shade  for us and the dogs, but as soon as i had to walk them out of camp for a wee , phew an oven comes to mind.  While on the subject of dog wee's etc. The number of people allowing their dog to go on the pitch, 2 caravans had 7 dogs between them and they all went on the pitch, the young couple next to us also allowed the dogs to go on the pitch, in all I counted 5 caravans allowing the dogs to go on the pitch, the only thing in  their favour was that they did all pick up. Lazy , inconsiderate people.  Well we got through Sunday, suffered Monday  , bit of a breeze on Tuesday and came home Wednesday. We started off very early , home by 10 am, pleasant drive as folk were telling us that it was taking them 5 hours to drive 100 miles with Bristol  being at a standstill.   I know it was impossible to do this time, but I have seen it before when it's been hot where people have left it until it cools down a bit before setting up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are in deepest Somerset staying at a commercial farm camping and caravan site which is chokka. The site is very well run superb shower block and super shop where you can order newspapers, fresh bread and even cream teas. Horner water runs through the site and we have taken chairs down to the river and the dogs can cool off with a paddle. It has been very hot, cycling cools me off and lots of shady woods to walk in. Luckily the caravan has air conditioning so it cool in morning and late afternoon and evening. Most people camping are families, trendy types from London and their children are well behaved. Can hear a pin drop at night. The owner has by some rearrangement fitted us in for another week as we had only been able to book six nights originally.  Still maintaining covid precautions, although I notice younger people, less than say 50 don't bother masking up in shower block and shop. Would never have thought to visit a site like this but really pleased to be here in a very beautiful and quiet part of Somerset. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, meadowsweet said:

We are in deepest Somerset staying at a commercial farm camping and caravan site which is chokka. The site is very well run superb shower block and super shop where you can order newspapers, fresh bread and even cream teas. Horner water runs through the site and we have taken chairs down to the river and the dogs can cool off with a paddle. It has been very hot, cycling cools me off and lots of shady woods to walk in. Luckily the caravan has air conditioning so it cool in morning and late afternoon and evening. Most people camping are families, trendy types from London and their children are well behaved. Can hear a pin drop at night. The owner has by some rearrangement fitted us in for another week as we had only been able to book six nights originally.  Still maintaining covid precautions, although I notice younger people, less than say 50 don't bother masking up in shower block and shop. Would never have thought to visit a site like this but really pleased to be here in a very beautiful and quiet part of Somerset. 

Is that Burrowhayes farm?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We're on a CL near North Somercotes in Lincs. Meals Farm if anyone is interested for future reference - great site. Lovely weather here - sunny and breezy. In fact I have a fleece on as I type!

 

We're here as a a substitute for our usual trips to France and enjoying it very much but can't wait till we can be across the Channel again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, johntog said:

Is that Burrowhayes farm?

It is indeed! Really well run and the owner Julian and his staff are so helpful. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, meadowsweet said:

It is indeed! Really well run and the owner Julian and his staff are so helpful. 

That's one to remember then. I've never been there myself but I have a German Shepherd that thinks she's part duck, so sites with access to clean streams and rivers are ideal.

John

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/07/2021 at 07:53, joanie said:

we have been away in the heat before but there was just no breeze, it just felt like the air was being sucked out, anyway we managed to find some shade  for us and the dogs, but as soon as i had to walk them out of camp for a wee , phew an oven comes to mind.  While on the subject of dog wee's etc. The number of people allowing their dog to go on the pitch, 2 caravans had 7 dogs between them and they all went on the pitch, the young couple next to us also allowed the dogs to go on the pitch, in all I counted 5 caravans allowing the dogs to go on the pitch, the only thing in  their favour was that they did all pick up. Lazy , inconsiderate people.  Well we got through Sunday, suffered Monday  , bit of a breeze on Tuesday and came home Wednesday. We started off very early , home by 10 am, pleasant drive as folk were telling us that it was taking them 5 hours to drive 100 miles with Bristol  being at a standstill.   I know it was impossible to do this time, but I have seen it before when it's been hot where people have left it until it cools down a bit before setting up. 

Dogs weeing on the grass or gravel pitch...... Is this against the site rules? How do you control when your dog goes for a wee? We don't take ours with us (she snores) but if we did I don't think I could control this as well as you do with your dogs.

 

Anyway, we're at Love2Stay with two outdoor pools which have been godsends for the past couple of days. Caravan and awning cools down nicely at night 👌Beer and tonic stay nicely chilled which obviously is the priority... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/5172649/visiting club sites with dogs.pdf

Of course you don't allow your dog to wee on the pitch and  it's not the dog's fault  if they do , it's the owner's fault.  Since we have been caravanning we have had 3 dogs , although we are down to 2 now. None of our dogs go on the pitch. We take them out side the camp or over the dog walk , we also walk them down the middle of the road as well so that they don't wee on anyone else's pitch. Train your dog, even an old dog can learn new tricks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, joanie said:

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/5172649/visiting club sites with dogs.pdf

Of course you don't allow your dog to wee on the pitch and  it's not the dog's fault  if they do , it's the owner's fault.  Since we have been caravanning we have had 3 dogs , although we are down to 2 now. None of our dogs go on the pitch. We take them out side the camp or over the dog walk , we also walk them down the middle of the road as well so that they don't wee on anyone else's pitch. Train your dog, even an old dog can learn new tricks. 


 

Ah! A Canine Club site!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/07/2021 at 20:26, Whomer said:

Far too many  caravans have terrible ventilation and very poor insulation.

Never felt the need for a fan inside mine even in hottest weather.

I have had a Fendt and a Hymer and currently have a Hobby and we have often resorted to fans and now we are back with blown air we use that overnight too. Have to mention this has been continental use.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...