Jump to content

trading in with retailer


Recommended Posts

Some years ago, a local chap was trading in his van for a new one. The Dealer wouldn't give him any extra for his mover....so he took it off. He'd even set it up in his garage to demonstrate it working!

That meant that I was able to buy a mover for my old Swift for £50. It was advertised for £100, but when he said "I'd rather let it go for £50 than add to the Dealers profit" Ever the opportunist, I promptly offered him the £50. Which he took with good grace, saying that he'd just done himself out of £50 😀

Link to comment
1 hour ago, AlwynMike said:

Some years ago, a local chap was trading in his van for a new one. The Dealer wouldn't give him any extra for his mover....so he took it off. He'd even set it up in his garage to demonstrate it working!

That meant that I was able to buy a mover for my old Swift for £50. It was advertised for £100, but when he said "I'd rather let it go for £50 than add to the Dealers profit" Ever the opportunist, I promptly offered him the £50. Which he took with good grace, saying that he'd just done himself out of £50 😀

That's the kind of deal I like :D

 

Unfortunately, although I got a very good deal on mine, when I went to collect it I got the distinct impression that it had been borrowed from somebody else's caravan. The seller had lots more for sale the following week, before disappearing off ebay.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Wildwood said:

Legally when the dealer sells a caravan it should have the hook up cable and a step, usually a cheap plastic one, winder, pump and wheel brace.

 

Do you mean a brand new van ?  I was never aware that this was a legal requirement - can you provide a suitable link ?  I assume that if this also applies to second-hand caravans, then it should also apply to cars - and I have bought many with the original manufacturer supplied jack, wheel brace and other accessories missing.

Link to comment

It's not a legal requirement but most UK manufacturers include all thar stuff with their new vans and it's all included in the published MIRO weight. There's no legal requirement that anything should be passed on with a used sale and the MIRO weight is unlikely to be accurate for an individual van.

 

 

 

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Link to comment

Our last but one van (one before last in old money) had a mover fitted at our home when the van was new but I did remove it before the van was sold .

E-bay was used to sell the motor-mover on-received strong money for it too :-)

Link to comment
18 hours ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Our last but one van (one before last in old money) had a mover fitted at our home when the van was new but I did remove it before the van was sold .

E-bay was used to sell the motor-mover on-received strong money for it too :-)

 

I think I will remove the mover next time we trade - I would have swapped the mover to the new van but I wanted AWD for the twin axle and felt that we were probably pushing the life of the old movers tbh. 

 

I must say, dealers don't seem to give you any allowance for a van coming in with movers on, even though they will clearly be a few hundred up on them, even allowing for removal and refitting. That's a few hundred I could spend on our next ferry booking. 

Link to comment

The regulation with regard to the cable and step goes back over eight years as it applied when we bought our last but one caravan, but cannot see exact details after quick search. 

With regard to the mover you have to point it out and haggle, but most will make an allowance. We did have ours moved across last time we changed the caravan though.

Link to comment
5 hours ago, Scarab said:

I must say, dealers don't seem to give you any allowance for a van coming in with movers on, even though they will clearly be a few hundred up on them, even allowing for removal and refitting. That's a few hundred I could spend on our next ferry booking. 

Exactly!

We asked for prices with and without the mover and there was nowt in it so we decided to remove the motor mover and sell via E-bay.

As you say the money went into the caravan folder :-)

Link to comment
  • 1 month later...

My Lunar may not appear on their website. When i collected the new caravan today, the dealer told me that it was likely already sold to a couple who were viewing it later in the day!

 

Ah well, was probably sold for a lot more than they gave me. That being said though, they do give a years dealer warranty on it that someone will have to pay for if things go wrong.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...