trading in with retailer

When you trade your van in for a new one 

What or not do you give with van?

is the price the dealer offers you   for  the van to include  certain ancillary equipment like external pumps and cables  etc

Edited by Ashey

You'd Include what you'd get with a brand new van; spare wheel, water pump attachment, jack, EHU cable, step, water and waste containers.  Anything else is at your discretion.

Generally, the pump, hookup cable, and leg winder stay with the van. 
Some dealers also want the step. 
Basically anything that is supplied with the van ex works should stay with the van

1 hour ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

Generally, the pump, hookup cable, and leg winder stay with the van. 
Some dealers also want the step. 
Basically anything that is supplied with the van ex works should stay with the van

The hook up cable will get ditched by the dealer as it would require testing before it could be sold on, they will “sell” the new owner a brand new one.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

5 hours ago, Supatramp said:

You'd Include what you'd get with a brand new van; spare wheel, water pump attachment, jack, EHU cable, step, water and waste containers.  Anything else is at your discretion.

I had to buy all those things, so  why should I put them in as part ex? 

All I got from the dealer while buying mine was 10% discount for 14 days.
I didn't even get a water pump.

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

When I have traded in, Dealer wanted the pump or the connector if pump is internal and they charge for a new one if its not there. 

Also wanted AL-KO wheel lock, external shower connector, tv bracket, all of which were standard with the van when new.

They were not interested in EHU cable, step, leg winder or wheel brace.

11 hours ago, Supatramp said:

Do you get a jack with a new van.  Admittedly it is a long time since I've bought a new van but it didn't come with a jack. 

On 18/07/2021 at 08:50, Steven said:

The hook up cable will get ditched by the dealer as it would require testing before it could be sold on, they will “sell” the new owner a brand new one.

When I traded in my last caravan the dealer refused to accept the EHU mains lead that had been supplied with the caravan, even though it was unused and was still sealed in the original plastic packaging. This has happened before, and explains why I now have a collection of EHU leads that I continue to use at home, the others having been passed on to fellow caravanners over the years.

As others have said, everything that would have been supplied as standard with the caravan should be included when trading in - and that includes the handbook and all associated paperwork!

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

What do you get with a new caravan included in the sale.

if it is not included with a new van then do not include it your self.

makes sense. Nothing for nothing.

I have never bought a caravan that didn't come with the water pump, the van can't really be used without it, so when trading in i leave the pump in it. 

We were prepared to leave everything it came with when brand new:

• spare wheel + carrier
  • microwave
  • cushions
  • water pump
  • EHU cable
  • step
  • steady winder

In the end, we kept our step and hook up cable as we preferred them to the ones that came with the caravan we bought.

We can't quite remember if the old van had a carpet section for the toilet. we couldn't find it in the loft though!

6 minutes ago, Scarab said:

We were prepared to leave everything it came with when brand new:

• spare wheel + carrier
  • microwave
  • cushions
  • water pump
  • EHU cable
  • step
  • steady winder

In the end, we kept our step and hook up cable as we preferred them to the ones that came with the caravan we bought.

We can't quite remember if the old van had a carpet section for the toilet. we couldn't find it in the loft though!

Can I add wheel brace (to undo bolts/nuts) to your list though sometimes it can be the same size as the manual motormover engagement handle/steady winder and microwave plate.

Possibly locking wheel nut adaptor.

Edited by charlieboy2608
Just now, charlieboy2608 said:

Can I add wheel brace (to undo bolts/nuts) to your list though sometimes it can be the same size as the manual motormover engagement handle/steady winder and microwave plate.

I don't think we were given one for the caravan, though I'm not sure.

We had a mover fitted to it (second hand) prior to pick up and that came with a wheel brace - one of the shiny telescopic ones.  We also acquired a cheap black metal tubular thing (actually very useful for putting the steady down when tight against the wall) but I think that came with the AL-KO wheel lock (purchased separately).

The telescopic one went back with van but only because we left the movers on it. We go an exact replacement with the new caravan, which I also assumed was part of the Powrtouch package.  

1 minute ago, Scarab said:

was part of the Powrtouch package

Our new van had this fitted but the handle had a different fitting to manually engage the rollers.

Rather than resembling a hexagonal socket it had been flattened on two of the opposite sides.

well i did get a tv with my Unicorn 2 but I kept that and gave back the wheel lock and ancillary equipment  etc as the new van had them included

and if I change my Unicorn 4  I was thinking of keeping my TPMS and also the carpets to sell as they  have never been used 

When I changed mine earlier this the dealer wasn't interested in anything that wasn't attached to the caravan. 

I put in the AL-KO wheel lock because it wouldn't fit my new vans wheels. 

I got a new wheel lock, pump and cable as part of the deal. 

21 hours ago, Gordon said:

This has happened before, and explains why I now have a collection of EHU leads that I continue to use at home, the others having been passed on to fellow caravanners over the years.

I too have accumulated a collection of EHU leads. When our son bought his second hand motorhome from a dealer, he was told it would come with a new EHU lead. We were due to meet them the day after they went to their first site as this would have been our first meeting for several months due to lockdown - we got a phone call asking us to bring one of our spares as the one supplied by the dealer was only 10m and would not reach to the plug in point. Luckily they were able to swap leads for the night with a neighbouring unit who was a lot closer so they could set up properly. Next day we arrived and gave them one of our 'spare' leads - still in its sealed bag so they now have a spare 10m lead !!

10 hours ago, Webslinger said:

When I changed mine earlier this the dealer wasn't interested in anything that wasn't attached to the caravan. 

I put in the AL-KO wheel lock because it wouldn't fit my new vans wheels. 

I got a new wheel lock, pump and cable as part of the deal. 

Exactly usually the old stuff either gets thrown out or included in the resale either with an additional charge or as a deal breaker… as a second hand deal….

13 hours ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Our new van had this fitted but the handle had a different fitting to manually engage the rollers.

Rather than resembling a hexagonal socket it had been flattened on two of the opposite sides.

That sounds strange. Our old one was a Classic the new one is an Evo and they both have standard hex shaped spindles (they are manual engage only, if that makes a difference)

48 minutes ago, Scarab said:

That sounds strange. Our old one was a Classic the new one is an Evo and they both have standard hex shaped spindles (they are manual engage only, if that makes a difference)

Not so strange. Both the daughters 2020 van and our 2021 van have this flat tab for engagement. 
It now means having to carry a wheel brace and mover handle, whereas the hex head meant one tool for both duties. Progress eh

40 minutes ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

Not so strange. Both the daughters 2020 van and our 2021 van have this flat tab for engagement. 
It now means having to carry a wheel brace and mover handle, whereas the hex head meant one tool for both duties. Progress eh

Indeed!

AL-KO will probably change their wheel lock head shape to triangular or something soon so that we have to carry three tools!

15 hours ago, Scarab said:

The telescopic one went back with van but only because we left the movers on it. 

That's one of my gripes about caravan dealers. I've often seen them selling the mover separately, when it has clearly been left there by the previous owner.

Bit of a cheek when they want another £400 for a rusty old Powrtouch with no grit left on the rollers.

15 minutes ago, littlebasher said:

That's one of my gripes about caravan dealers. I've often seen them selling the mover separately, when it has clearly been left there by the previous owner.

Bit of a cheek when they want another £400 for a rusty old Powrtouch with no grit left on the rollers.

it is a bit of a cheek.

We managed to get ours thrown in on the first caravan (though the mover was second hand) and it saw us through 5 years. During which time it's had a lot of use. I've changed the rollers and had to have a repair on the control unit.  

I'm sure when the caravan gets sold onto the next owner, the mover will have disappeared.

When we traded ours in the dealer was quite surprised that they got the attachment for the back of the TV to fit the wall bracket, as apparently many people do not return this. They seemed to accept a certain level of missing parts.

Legally when the dealer sells a caravan it should have the hook up cable and a step, usually a cheap plastic one, winder, pump and wheel brace. These are pretty cheap for a dealer to replace so the odd one missing should not be a problem, but the total if none are there might add up, so there is probably a point at which most will complain.  

if the caravan has a mover you should get credit for this so you cannot complain if the dealer removes it although in most cases they seem to use it as a selling point and to increase the price.

In many cases the spare wheel will have sat there for years and may no longer be fit for use. I do not think the dealer even bothered to look at ours, other than to check it was there. 

Edited by Wildwood