Pick up my first ever caravan on Monday Soooooo excited

Big day Monday - get my first ever caravan - Bailey Pageant Loire - like new inside - fantastic condition - full cover and a lot of servicing’s with year stickers on the tow hitch - I’m like a kid waiting for Christmas. 

Have fun! Lots of great information on this forum if you scour round for towing advice. Are you planning a major trip first off, or taking the excellent advice so often given here to have a trial one-night trip, two at most, close enough to home to go back for that whatever-it-was you left behind?

Just out of interest from your previous posts, what will you be towing it with?

11 hours ago, Stagn8 said:

11 hours ago, Stagn8 said:

Well I’m hoping a vaux mokka X diesel will do the job 

ditched the idea of a Seat Arona - but looks like the Mokka will do the job

i feel as if I had a bargain so for the money I have had what I have bought is a good deal - tried to post pics but they were too big to upload 

Great, pleased you managed to find something more suited to the towing role. 
We picked up a new caravan last year and empty (apart from a leisure battery) it was very light on the nose weight, which of course I only discovered when I managed to get it on the scales! So, you may find the same and  it can make quite a difference to the towing experience, mine was distinctly bouncy and made me feel very uncomfortable but once noseweight was sorted it tows absolutely fine. It’s only a  heads up and hopefully you will enjoy your first tow, as others have said take it easy and give way to everything 😀.

Good luck with your new purchase. 👍

20 hours ago, Richard_Y said:

Have fun! Lots of great information on this forum if you scour round for towing advice. Are you planning a major trip first off, or taking the excellent advice so often given here to have a trial one-night trip, two at most, close enough to home to go back for that whatever-it-was you left behind?

Yes one weekend away - kiln park Tenby is only 30 mins away so that will do to start with 

8 hours ago, Dai the stag said:

Well I’m hoping a vaux mokka X diesel will do the job 

ditched the idea of a Seat Arona - but looks like the Mokka will do the job

i feel as if I had a bargain so for the money I have had what I have bought is a good deal - tried to post pics but they were too big to upload 

Which Loire is it, some have a MTPLM over what the car can pull (Assuming the tow limit is the same as my wifes Mokka diesel - 1500Kg)

I think that combination will exceed the recommended 85% ratio.

Although 85% is only a recommendation, it is a good guide for someone new to towing.

Edited by hp100425ev

There are plenty of newbies towing sensibly at 90 to 100% - myself included. Make sure you're within the car's max towing limit and happy with the power / torque the Mokka gives. 

Enjoy the van 👍

Good luck but do watch the towing ratio. You should be able to manage 90% but going beyond this could be risky so you do it at your own peril. I know others are doing it and getting away with it most of the time, but it is a very real risk, and in case you do not believe me, I dealt with the insurance investigations and know about the accidents.

With all due respect to some members trying to put the fear of God in you with the holy grail of safe towing by 85% weight ratios, what matters more so is legality AND making sure tyre pressures, nose weight ratio, weight balance/distribution and payload are all adhered to. Ignoring those while focusing purely on weight ratio is just as, if not more dangerous. However I would also highly recommend one of the clubs towing courses, if you can get on one! 

We use a large roof box and boot to spread the weight (for caravan items)....

Edited by gtepete

Never towed with a mokka (camping trailer doesn't count) but my wife had one fir a few years and I had four as company cars so I know the make and model really well. 

My view of this car with a diesel engine 1.7 and 1.6 especially with 130 hp or 136hp they have a great engine for towing.  The 1.7 in particular is a heavy old iron lump but they have loads of low down torque and a short rear over hang too. I think they would make a great tow car so long as you respect the legal limits and can achieve the towball weight. They are avaliable with four wheel drive too, quite handy on a wet field with the benefit of a bit more kerb weight too! 

Happy towing, you will have a blast. 

I would add the 1.7 from memory has a lower towing capacity than 1.6 TD. It drops to 1200kg. 

The only thing I would be wary of is the short wheel base, while it makes it a agile solo car it might be more nervous at higher speeds. 

21 hours ago, Flatcoat888 said:

With all due respect to some members trying to put the fear of God in you with the holy grail of safe towing by 85% weight ratios, what matters more so is legality AND making sure tyre pressures, nose weight ratio, weight balance/distribution and payload are all adhered to. Ignoring those while focusing purely on weight ratio is just as, if not more dangerous. However I would also highly recommend one of the clubs towing courses, if you can get on one! 

I agree the weight ratio is only one aspect of towing, but it is very important and a bad match could be a disaster. The other points you raise are also important and should not be ignored. 

The other subjective aspect is that some car/caravan combinations work better than others. That doesn’t imply the car or caravan is a problem but from personal experience and reading numerous threads over the years it is clear sometimes there are factors at play that are too difficult to analyse or quantify. Admittedly rare but not unknown for Car A with caravan B to be great, swap car A and the outfit might be a pig to drive. Vice versa too. My Volvo tows fantastic on motorways but the ride on typical urban roads is such I often have to drive at 20 in a 30 area and so on. My previous Passat was not as steady on the motorways but the ride when towing was very smooth. 

3 hours ago, Flatcoat888 said:

The other subjective aspect is that some car/caravan combinations work better than others. That doesn’t imply the car or caravan is a problem but from personal experience and reading numerous threads over the years it is clear sometimes there are factors at play that are too difficult to analyse or quantify. 

For what it's worth I completely agree. A caravan snake is a resonant phenomenon, of which there are countless examples in engineering. The whistle of the wind through a ship's rigging, tank slappers on a motorbike, ground resonance in a helicopter, dutch roll in an aircraft, feedback through a microphone, the tacoma bridge disaster. None of these other examples are solved by such a simple rule of thumb. Many aren't even solvable by modern day modeling and are engineered out of a product via extensive testing.

Just now, ChertseyMike said:

For what it's worth I completely agree. A caravan snake is a resonant phenomenon, of which there are countless examples in engineering. The whistle of the wind through a ship's rigging, tank slappers on a motorbike, ground resonance in a helicopter, dutch roll in an aircraft, feedback through a microphone, the tacoma bridge disaster. None of these other examples are solved by such a simple rule of thumb. Many aren't even solvable by modern day modeling and are engineered out of a product via extensive testing.

Not even 85% of them ? ;)

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

😂😂😂

Well? How did it all go? Hopefully the excitement is still there and you had a great weekend.

Hope it tows OK, as the Pageants are quite big vans. We had a Champagne, Vendee and Burgundy. Lovely vans. We towed with either aVauxhall Frontera or a Kia Sorento all  pretty hefty towcars with 2.2 or 2.5 diesels.

I would have thought a Mokka a bit light.