Summer chaos ?

Just seen a report in the Guardian that states - ‘ Tents & camping gear stocks are running out ‘  or similar , expect to see reports of wild camping outbreaks & rubbish left on the beaches & sand dunes of Great Britain . Apparently a lot of sites can’t recruit staff to run the cleaning & maintenance duties so after the laws on travel to the usual destinations abroad change by the hour I expect chaos to ensue in the next 6-8 weeks .

The rubbish, camping gear and wild camping here in The Lakes is an epidemic. Was last year and is worse this year. 

Just who are these people? 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I am sure you are right! 

I have no intention of trying to go anywhere with my caravan until September when the schools are back.

In the meantime I would imagine it’s going to be manic on just about every single campsite.

Then there is the, not to be underestimated, huge increase in traffic on the roads, and that won’t be helped by the “new to caravans so I don’t understand about towing” brigade with overweight caravans/underpowered cars being driven by frustrated parents crawling along/breaking down/overheating (or, heaven forbid) a caravan overturning and blocking an entire motorway.

All in all recipe for a “perfect storm” for traffic jams of immense proportions. 

My garden doesn't suffer from any of the above,  so that’s where I will be spending my time, with a supply of cold beer and wine. 

At least we haven't (yet?) Been struck with the appalling  floods the Europeans have been afflicted with. The sense of devastation are almost unbelievable aren’t they? Especially that sink hole that’s appeared in Germany :o 

8 minutes ago, WispMan said:

The rubbish, camping gear and wild camping here in The Lakes is an epidemic. Was last year and is worse this year. 

Inconsiderate, ignorant Gits that’s who! 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

It is great to know we have so much employment that there is no one left to fill these job vacancies or is it that us Brits are so lazy we just hold our hand out and say gimme gimme gimme and we need foreigners to keep us going?

Apparently haulage industry is short of drivers.

I've got loads of "spare" "just in case" camping gear, may be it is time to make money and put it on ebay.

macafee2

3 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

Apparently haulage industry is short of drivers.

Because no-one is prepared to put up with the long hours, sometimes days away from home living in their cabs, for what, considering the responsibility involved with a 44 tonne artic, is very poor money. It’s has been thus for many years but is only now being recognised. The waiting list for HGV tests is now many months which isn’t helping. 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Of course anyone wishing to become an HGV driver,it isn't just a case of booking lessons and take test.

An eyesight test has to be taken first.

Then a medical has to be taken with a GP (along with the results of the eyesight test).

Providing those 2 are passed,a further 5 days spent in a classroom to obtain your CPC qualification.

Oh....also a digital tachograph card is required.

My CPC expired last year.

I've no intention of renewing it and having to go through all of the above,especially with the amount of traffic on the roads now and the general standard of driving.

25 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Because no-one is prepared to put up with the long hours, sometimes days away from home living in their cabs, for what, considering the responsibility involved with a 44 tonne artic, is very poor money. It’s has been thus for many years but is only now being recognised. The waiting list for HGV tests is now many months which isn’t helping. 

We stopped to assist a HGV lorry driver who had broken down and then collapsed on the pavement as he was trying to direct traffic running back and forth across the road and deal with the breakdown recovery lorry.  Another lorry driver stopped and he and my husband directed the traffic as the lorry was blocking one side of a busy road.  I think it was stress that made him collapse.  I have a lot of respect for HGV drivers.  A huge responsibility and they are careful drivers.  They must get sick to death of careless and dangerous motorists.  

My husband got sworn at by a car driver for making him wait while the other traffic came through.  The police took 30 minutes to arrive and by that time the recovery vehicle had removed the lorry and the traffic was flowing again.  The ambulance also took 35 minutes to arrive.  The new normal - a perfect storm of cuts and Covid.

1 hour ago, WispMan said:

They are the ‘ me me me moron ‘ generation , unfortunately.

Take nothing but photographs and leave nothing but footprints  (should even try to avoid the footprints)

39 minutes ago, meadowsweet said:

We stopped to assist a HGV lorry driver who had broken down and then collapsed on the pavement as he was trying to direct traffic running back and forth across the road and deal with the breakdown recovery lorry.  Another lorry driver stopped and he and my husband directed the traffic as the lorry was blocking one side of a busy road.  I think it was stress that made him collapse.  I have a lot of respect for HGV drivers.  A huge responsibility and they are careful drivers.  They must get sick to death of careless and dangerous motorists.  

My husband got sworn at by a car driver for making him wait while the other traffic came through.  The police took 30 minutes to arrive and by that time the recovery vehicle had removed the lorry and the traffic was flowing again.  The ambulance also took 35 minutes to arrive.  The new normal - a perfect storm of cuts and Covid.

my Dad was an HGV driver for quite a few years after he left the mining industry , he told me about trying to get off a motorway exit on to a roundabout , he drove a double trailer car transporter so not easy to nip out . When a gap appeared he set off & was rather rudely beeped at & sworn at by an irate motorist whose very important journey had been delayed by at least 12 seconds , he parked his truck across the junction & walked over to the offended car driver & ‘ politely ‘ explained to him the error of his ways , the fact that he was an ex Desert Rat who fought from 1939 to 46 & was quite a promising amateur boxer before the War May have made him seem aggressive to the now very contrite motorist , it worked though 😎 & my Dad never swore , the only thing I ever heard him say was ‘ ruddy ‘ , must have been his army training , 😎😎😎

So far by sticking to CS/CL sites we have had no problems getting a booking, it helps that we go in the week, Mrs. Ex still works 2 mornings a week, Monday and Friday, so we book from Monday  afternoon to Thursday morning.  We try to keep to 3 day bookings every 2 weeks, we were away this week and again the week after next and I've just booked the one after that for the 2nd August.

We have always steadfastly avoided going out around here in West Norfolk during July and August, unless necesssary.  Click and Collects during the pandemic at 7am didn’t really give us the scale of the traffic issue in this area over the last 2-3years.

Needing to visit an elderly relative in Snettisham at 5pm 😱 the oncoming traffic crawling queue stretched from KL hardwick roundabout right back to Desingham bypass….10miles.

Fortunately by 8pm it had evaporated for our return journey.

Happy Norfolk Holiday🙄