Adaptor from propane to butane

Argyll

I have a male hose that fits into a propane bottle that has a female fitting. I've just bought a 15kg butane bottle that has the clip style fitting at the top. Can I buy an adaptor for this? 

I've seen a thread on this but it the male/female connector is in reverse.

1626468196410.jpg

1626468196417.jpg

You will need a butane pigtail

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

The Orange Propane cylinder is designed to have a bulkhead mounted regulator that is supplied with high pressure gas from the cylinder, hence the very thick and chunky hose, the Blue Butane cylinder is designed to have a regulator that clips directly onto the cylinder, and low pressure gas is then supplied from that regulator using much thinner (usually orange) hose (think in terms of what hose is needed for a Cadac or similar) .) 

11 minutes ago, JanandJay said:

You will need a butane pigtail

There is no thread on the Butane cylinder, only a clip on fixing. 

Your best bet would be to now swop the Blue Butane, for an Orange Propane cylinder at a Calor outlet. The two cylinders are in the same “Group” so it’s a straight swop and wouldn’t involve any adaptor! 

Edited by Mr Plodd
Edited to remove some irrelevant rubbish !!

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

9 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Your best bet would be to now swop the Blue Butane, for an Orange Propane cylinder at a Calor outlet. The two cylinders are in the same “Group” so it’s a straight swop and wouldn’t involve any adaptor! 

If you can find somewhere to swap.
My local Calor outlet has loads of blue 7kg, but no red 6 or 3.9kg.  

Thankfully I bought a Safefill last year Refilled twice and total cost was £ 11.69 

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

Hi Argyll 

Modern caravan bulkhead regulators will provide regulated gas from either a propane bottle, butane bottle or other (eg Camping Gaz which is a mix).

So you need a connector without the regulator built in.

Like this one.

https://www.bes.co.uk/21-mm-clip-on-adaptor-for-gas-bottles-butane-only-16642/

You could use a  T Piece for easy swap between different cylinders or connect with quick release connectors.

Like this one 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inline-Release-Fitting-Coupling-propane/dp/B0757521T9/ref=asc_df_B0757521T9/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310315668927&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8798000705660818781&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045334&hvtargid=pla-700783311257&psc=1

10 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

the Blue Butane cylinder is designed to have a regulator that clips directly onto the cylinder, and low pressure gas is then supplied from that regulator using much thinner (usually orange) hose

No it isn't.

OPs profile shows a 2004 caravan. It will have a bulkhead mounted regulator intended for propane and butane. The OP is using a 15kg cylinder which uses the same clip on fitting as the 7kg cylinder which I used to use before changing to propane in 2019. The propane screw on  connector will need replacing with a butane clip on one.

4 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

The Orange Propane cylinder is designed to have a bulkhead mounted regulator that is supplied with high pressure gas from the cylinder, hence the very thick and chunky hose, the Blue Butane cylinder is designed to have a regulator that clips directly onto the cylinder, and low pressure gas is then supplied from that regulator using much thinner (usually orange) hose (think in terms of what hose is needed for a Cadac or similar) 

Never heard of that before… both propane and butane cylinders can (and in many applications do) have cylinder mounted low pressure regulators and both can be connected by means of an appropriate pigtail to a bulkhead regulator.

The only difference between low pressure cylinder regulators is propane is set at 37 mbar and butane is 28 mbar.  Either gas can be used with a bulkhead regulator (30mbar).

Recently bought on eBay

Screenshot_20210717-001433.png.0d2c2223b68285b897ba6144813ddc20.png

12 hours ago, CliveB said:

Recently bought on eBay

Screenshot_20210717-001433.png.0d2c2223b68285b897ba6144813ddc20.png

Is my pigtail 27mm though? I thought it was 21mm?

45 minutes ago, Argyll said:

Is my pigtail 27mm though? I thought it was 21mm?

Obviously my butane was 27mm.  It isn't a Calor so apologies as I made the assumption all clip-ons were the same size.

I have taken a look and the seller does not appear to have a 21mm equivalent.