Side lights only working when connected to a tester?

Can anyone help.

My caravan lights eg indicators brake lights all work when connected to the car. But the side lights don't? 

When connected to a tester they all work including the side lights.

So I Connected my car to another caravan and a trailer and all the lights work on those. 

So I'm scratching my head. 

The side lights flick on for a few seconds but then go out?  but when connected direct to a battery through the caravans 7pin plug they stay on. 

Help please....thank you 

On the 7 pin plug some of the pins can be spread apart a little, try spreading those that can be spread apart. Ii could be corrosion so try cleaning all the pins with wet and dry. Could also be a lose/broken connection at the plug

macafee2

Hi First try cleaning the brass pins

on the male pins on the socket and  Pug open the slightly with a thin pen knive blade

I see from your profile you have a Swift van. 
Some Swift vans are fitted with LED road lights. These are known to “not play nicely “ with many cars. 
It maybe worthwhile you contacting Sargent electrical, who build the electrics, and discussing with them. 
They make several plug in units that fool the car into sensing standard light bulbs 

1 hour ago, macafee2 said:

On the 7 pin plug some of the pins can be spread apart a little, try spreading those that can be spread apart. Ii could be corrosion so try cleaning all the pins with wet and dry. Could also be a lose/broken connection at the plug

macafee2

+1

8 minutes ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

I see from your profile you have a Swift van. 

Not sure if it makes a difference with LED road lights but their profile mention age of van as 1999?

Edited by charlieboy2608

Check Earth connection on car and van 7 pin plugs

The fact that the lights work for a few seconds means it is unlikely to be a poor connection.  It is more likely that the CANBUS system in the car is confused by the LED lights in the caravan.  There are various solutions available, try searching for "led trailer lights canbus".  It is probably best to speak to whoever fitted the towing electrics to your car first.