Help needed please

Hello, we have a 4 berth Bailey Pageant Champagne caravan. It’s rather old (2002) but it’s our introduction to caravanning. It keeps throwing problems at us and so far we have been able to work things out. Until today. We have just shown our grand children and they are very excited to learn we are taking a trip this weekend. But we have a problem. The kitchen tap is dribbling virtually no water because it’s literally pouring out Underneath! I presume a pipe has broken but how on earth can I find it? I can’t see any obvious way to get to the pipe work. Urgent help needed. Can anybody help please?

Have a look under the seats for a valve with a yellow lever it is likely to be in a open position(straight up) this valve is the drain down valve for the water system ,close it and then refill your aqua roll and try again.

5 minutes ago, Grampy Langley said:

Hello, we have a 4 berth Bailey Pageant Champagne caravan. It’s rather old (2002) but it’s our introduction to caravanning. It keeps throwing problems at us and so far we have been able to work things out. Until today. We have just shown our grand children and they are very excited to learn we are taking a trip this weekend. But we have a problem. The kitchen tap is dribbling virtually no water because it’s literally pouring out Underneath! I presume a pipe has broken but how on earth can I find it? I can’t see any obvious way to get to the pipe work. Urgent help needed. Can anybody help please?

When you say ‘pouring out underneath' do you mean 

1. underneath the caravan (outside) or
  2. underneath the sink (inside)

if 1… is the water heater drain valve open.  Under the front seating near to the boiler you should find a  drain valve with a lever.  Lever flat to valve = closed,  Lever standing straight up from valve body = open.  Most of us have at some point tried to fill the boiler with the valve open so a common enough event.

if 2… can you get to the pipe run from out side through the fridge vent(s)?  They simply unclip by sliding the catch although some effort may be needed.  Not familiar with the layout of your caravan so srarr under the front seats where the water comes into the caravan and work towards the tap from there as far as possible and then through fridge vents up to the tap if you can.

If you mean the water is coming out under the tap then you should be able to remove the sink to get to the pipes.

I am not certain, but vans of your age tended to have 3 screws holding the sink in place.

Ease the sink up and disconnect the drain hose, remember to reconnect when refitting the sink.

Water is coming out under the van, and the pump runs continuously effectively pumping water from the outside water roll through a pipe and out through a sort of water vent under the van about level with the door. 

The drain down tap is open! Lift the bench seat and you should see a valve with a yellow lever, the lever needs to be horizontal like in the picture below, not vertical. 

image.jpeg.844d0174fb0bbf21c8f518bea38ba441.jpeg

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

On 14/07/2021 at 21:47, wiganian said:

Have a look under the seats for a valve with a yellow lever it is likely to be in a open position(straight up) this valve is the drain down valve for the water system ,close it and then refill your aqua roll and try again.

Found the yellow lever which was horizontal. I turned it vertical and heard a little water run out so turned it horizontal again. Doesn’t seem to make much difference. 

On 14/07/2021 at 21:55, ReggiePerrin said:

When you say ‘pouring out underneath' do you mean 

1. underneath the caravan (outside) or
  2. underneath the sink (inside)

if 1… is the water heater drain valve open.  Under the front seating near to the boiler you should find a  drain valve with a lever.  Lever flat to valve = closed,  Lever standing straight up from valve body = open.  Most of us have at some point tried to fill the boiler with the valve open so a common enough event.

if 2… can you get to the pipe run from out side through the fridge vent(s)?  They simply unclip by sliding the catch although some effort may be needed.  Not familiar with the layout of your caravan so srarr under the front seats where the water comes into the caravan and work towards the tap from there as far as possible and then through fridge vents up to the tap if you can.

Inside is dry. It was coming out underneath the van onto my driveway. I’ll see if I can upload a photo 

You've confirmed that the drain valve is closed and the taps aren't running. That suggests there's a leak in the network but that it is somewhere close enough to one of the drop vents (holes in the floor) to leak straight out without showing wetness in the caravan. 

Either that or the drain valve is faulty in some way and is draining even when horizontal

Can you send a grandchild under there to see exactly where the water is coming from? If you are feeling brave, they could take your phone and take a photo (they will know how to!). 

Check for a second drain valve.  There are often two of them.

Thank you everyone for your very helpful comments. I am proud to announce I have found the problem. Now the seasoned caravaners amongst you may laugh at what I am about to say but it was a learning point for me! I decided to take the kitchen drawers out and found a void behind them in which was a filter split nearly in half. I was able to remove it as only held in with jubilee clips, ordered a replacement Whale filter from Amazon and should be able to fit it in a couple of days time. Phew!