Question of Adhesive

I'm asking for advice on which adhesive to bond glass and metal over a cooker.  (Moderators, if you feel this is better in the cooker section I'll understand, but thought I'd stand more hope of answers here, as it's  perhaps an unusual query.)

Our caravan  has a lift-up glass cover over the gas hob. It's made of two bits of glass, the front part folding down when the whole thing's standing upright at the back of the cooker. There's a nifty little metal hinge and catch each side of the join.

The bond holding the glass into slots on these catches has now failed, so I need something to stick the glass and metal components back together, which will also withstand being close to hot burners without either letting go, catching fire or giving off nasty fumes.

As it's a 21 yr old French caravan (Rapido pop-top) spares are not available for most things, the only downside of this lovely caravan!

Any helpful information most welcome,

Thanks.

I would suggest you have a word with your local dealer. There is an adhesive that they use to bond metal catches to glass doors, but I have no idea what it’s called, but they are sure to know.

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

I'll certainly try that, just wondered meanwhile if anyone here was about to say " I used  xxx", which was always worth a try! 

Thanks Mr P.

Good idea, but it’s now late evening so even if you get an answer you won’t be able to do anything until tomorrow! 

Many of the cookers fitted these days have a hinged glass panel at the very bottom that gives access to a saucepan cupboard. The push to release catch for those is metal and it’s bonded onto glass. They come off fairly regularly and dealers have the adhesive to reattach them. Glass is very odd stuff to try and bond onto because of its exceedingly smooth surface, so it’s very important you get the right stuff for the job. 

Please return and let us know the name of whatever the adhesive is called, it could well help someone in the future asking an identical question. 

Try Googling - heat resistant glue to bond glass oven door

There are glues, heat resistant to 300°c, for bonding oven door glass to the metal frame.

Call Henkel/Loctite/3M/Sika’s customer helpline. I worked with Henkel a few months back, extremely helpful at recommending an adhesive when you tell them what you want it to do. Most of them offer this really useful service, Google their details.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Thanks for these.
Progress so far... I've contacted Bondrite, in Leics, suggested previously for another job by my caravan engineer, where I know the standard of service is superb, and I'll happily sing their praises and recommend them.

They earlier supplied both excellent advice & superb cement to sort out a delaminating window, but also sell  other adhesives too.

They suggested: https://bondrite.co.uk/toughened-acrylic-adhesive-s1500/
while accepting that a recommended operating temp. of up to 125 deg.C may not be sufficient.
I suspect that by the time it's around 7" up and also behind the gas burners, when the cover is raised in the open operating position, that would give enough heat tolerance, but have also now contacted Henkel - thanks for this suggestion - to see what they can offer.
I'll report back, indeed.

... and Henkel's LOCTITE SI 5300 does indeed seem to fit the bill, though I can't find anywhere stocking it other than Conro who reckon they'll have some but only at the end of this month.

When I had a similar problem, I tried many adhesives, but they all failed after a short time.  The final answer was HV Super Glue 50g from Toolstation at £2.78.

This product worked and lasted several years.  It successfully bonded metal to toughened glass.

17 minutes ago, Scorpio said:

When I had a similar problem, I tried many adhesives, but they all failed after a short time.  The final answer was HV Super Glue 50g from Toolstation at £2.78.

This product worked and lasted several years.  It successfully bonded metal to toughened glass.

That's interesting, thanks.
Has it been OK with the heat of the burners?
And if it's not a nuisance, can you remember which ones failed, too?

In my case it was the hinges to the glass door, so possibly not as close to the burners as in your case,

I had tried normal superglue, car interior mirror fixing kits, Araldite epoxy resin, double-sided adhesive pads, contact adhesive, but all failed within days, or weeks.

I reached the point where I would try anything, but the High Viscosity superglue did the job.  It is industrial grade.

Thanks. Now I know what not to try :-) 
Maybe I'll just have to wait until this particular Loctite for ovens becomes available, or go with the 125deg. stuff I mentioned further up, which is apparently good at glass.

Go to the 3M web page for support. They are very good and really helpful. I had a metal catch to fit to oven glass and they sent me a sample.

That's good. I like helpful helplines :-)

14 minutes ago, Towtug said:

Go to the 3M web page for support. They are very good and really helpful. I had a metal catch to fit to oven glass and they sent me a sample.

Can you recall what the sample was called? 

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Unfortunately not. It was about 10 years ago, I know it out lasted the oven. It was in two parts like an epoxy, the first I think etched the glass surface and the second (applied to the metal ) was a hi tack adhesive that dried clear.  I do know you had to be accurate, you didnt get a second chance. 

I seem to recall this product was supplied to furniture makers for sticking metal fittings to glass tables etc .

Like I said though they were really helpful, they were used to dealing with manufacturers needing something special, and new what they were talking about.

Edited by Towtug

:Thankyou:

• 4 weeks later...

I promised an update. Rather late in the day, but better that than never...

Bondrite, a family firm in Leicestershire, supplied me with really helpful and primpt advice, and their S1500. https://bondrite.co.uk/toughened-acrylic-adhesive-s1500/ 

- as described earlier in this thread.

While I could have used a Henkel product designed for ovens, the delivery time was going to be longer and the price greater. I decided that where the hinge clips are positioned, the 125deg temperature would be fine, since when we've finished cooking we can if we wish get hold of them straight away to fold the top down, which we'd not if they were anywhere near that hot.

It arrived extremely promptly,  went on easily enough, and so far has survived being bounced around for 300 miles. Can't say more yet, but that seems a good start.
Thanks again for all the helpful advice. And yes, Henkel also had a very good advice centre, though not as quick as Bondrite, and Henkel don't retail the stuff themselves, just suggested where I might find it.