2021 Santa Fe

Supatramp

3 hours ago, Supatramp said:

Duncan, who is the fitter you mentioned, as I'm struggling at the moment to find one.  Both Ayrshire ones are closed at the moment, so it looks as if I'll have to go to Glasgow.

It it's Buchans, they can't do it before the beginning of August, and I'm away at the end of July!!

Discount Motoring on the Gallow gate.

was advised twice by the sales guys to go there with different Santa Fe’s and my mate was told to get the tow bar fitted in his Edge there by the Ford garage on  Cumbernauld rd.

Have heard of quite a few people being advised to use him  by car sales people.

He also fitted the side steps on our  latest car after being told to use him by Arnold Clark at Alexander parade.

Duncan

Edited by DUNCAN123
Spelling

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, DUNCAN123 said:

Discount Motoring on the Gallow gate.

was advised twice by the sales guys to go there with different Santa Fe’s and my mate was told to get the tow bar fitted in his Edge there by the Ford garage on  Cumbernauld rd.

Have heard of quite a few people being advised to use him  by car sales people.

He also fitted the side steps on our  latest car after being told to use him by Arnold Clark at Alexander parade.

Duncan

Thanks Duncan.

Does your 2016 model have the towing pack, and if so, did Discount connect it up via this?  Buchans have quoted me a substantial increase for wiring this, it seemingly connects all the car's electical systems, and cancels the rear parking sensors etc.

They're closed today, I thought with all this explosion in caravan buying that towbar places would be up to their eyes in it.  The Kilmarnock place is closed for a week, and there's been no response from the Ayr one for over a week.

Edited by Supatramp

3 hours ago, WispMan said:

Will Mr P issue an apology to Duncan? 

I have said that I will happily issue an apology if I am shown to be wrong (as per my previous post) 

The way I read Garyb1969 post is that the stop start will not function if various conditions are met. One if them being if a trailer is attached, which is unequivocal (and not something the driver has control over) That however is a fully automatic function that is built into different make of car, namely a Volvo. So Volvo clearly feel it is something that needs to be done when a trailer is attached. Hyundai have not built such a fully automatic feature into the Santa Fe and left the stop/start working if a trailer is attached, so they don’t appear view it as being a necessary thing to do when towing. 

Duncans car is a Hyundai, and, like my Mazda clearly that doesn’t have an automatic system fitted to turn off the stop/start function like Gary’s Volvo, so is it necessary? 

No-one has said anything about the instructions in the Hyundai’s handbook or from Hyundai themselves, so, until someone comes up with the information that Hyundai, rather that a towbar fitter, say it is necessary to turn off the stop/start on a Santa Fe when towing I don’t see the need to apologise. 

When, or if, that information is forthcoming I will, as I have clearly stated I will, happily issue an apology, on this forum, to both Duncan and his towbar fitter.

Conversely will  I receive any sort of apology if it turns out Hyundai do not specifically advise  stop/start should be turned off when towing ?  

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Hi, Supatramp  I’m not too sure to be honest.

The electrics on mine are universal and don’t switch off the reversing sensors or the fog lights.

I was £550 about 2 years ago not sure what price would be now.

Buchan’s in Cambuslang we’re about £100 dearer if I remember correctly.

I think he closes on a Monday because they work Saturday and Sunday 

Duncan

Edited by DUNCAN123
Missed word

WARNING

Take the following precautions:

• If you don't use the correct towing equipment, or if you drive improperly while towing, you can lose control of the vehicle when pulling a trailer. For example, if the trailer is too heavy, the braking per- formance may be reduced. You and your passengers could be seriously or fatally injured. Pull a trailer only if you have followed all the steps in this section.

• Before towing, make sure the total trailer weight, GCW (Gross Combination Weight), GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight), GAW (Gross Axle Weight ) and trailer tongue load are all with- in the limits.

• When you tow a trailer, make sure to turn off the ISG sys- tem.

This is copied and pasted from a Santa Fe manual I don’t know how model specific it is as I haven’t had the pleasure of owning one but it does say when towing turn off ISG system .

Just to make it clear…

I have never said that Hyundai advise or advised me to turn off start stop when towing.

The only thing that was said to me by the tow bar fitter was, that he thought it was better to disable stop/start when towing 

He never said that it must be disabled and when someone asked earlier on in this thread why, the only reasons I could think of (probably wrongly) were ATC and the fridge.

Mr Plodd who sounds far more tech savvy than me pointed out why this wouldn’t be the case.

The only issue I had was some of the wording but I think as we are all big boys and girls there is absolutely no need for apologies.

I am sure that I have read somewhere that certain manufacturers towbars turn off the stop start system when the plug is connected but this could be absolute nonsense on my part( not for the first time)

Duncan

3 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I have said that I will happily issue an apology if I am shown to be wrong (as per my previous post) 

The way I read Garyb1969 post is that the stop start will not function if various conditions are met. One if them being if a trailer is attached, which is unequivocal (and not something the driver has control over) That however is a fully automatic function that is built into different make of car, namely a Volvo. So Volvo clearly feel it is something that needs to be done when a trailer is attached. Hyundai have not built such a fully automatic feature into the Santa Fe and left the stop/start working if a trailer is attached, so they don’t appear view it as being a necessary thing to do when towing. 

Duncans car is a Hyundai, and, like my Mazda clearly that doesn’t have an automatic system fitted to turn off the stop/start function like Gary’s Volvo, so is it necessary? 

No-one has said anything about the instructions in the Hyundai’s handbook or from Hyundai themselves, so, until someone comes up with the information that Hyundai, rather that a towbar fitter, say it is necessary to turn off the stop/start on a Santa Fe when towing I don’t see the need to apologise. 

When, or if, that information is forthcoming I will, as I have clearly stated I will, happily issue an apology, on this forum, to both Duncan and his towbar fitter.

Conversely will  I receive any sort of apology if it turns out Hyundai do not specifically advise  stop/start should be turned off when towing ?  

Did you miss my earlier post then?

"Would a specific note in the handbook that tells an owner to turn off the ISG when towing elicit an apology for Duncan and his experienced fitter? "

The handbook specifically states that ISG is turned off when towing.  

59 minutes ago, Squash said:

The handbook specifically states that ISG is turned off when towing.  

When you tow a trailer, make sure to turn off the ISG sys- tem.

Just a small point but needs to be disabled by the driver it’s not automatically turned off with a towbar fitted .

This only applies to my Tiguan and Seat Tarraco if not factory fitted or dealer fitted, probably same goes for Skoda Kodiaq all very similar, not uncommon to turn off ISG manually when towing just consult vehicle handbook to verify any advice to confirm good advice.

As I was resposible for starting the turn off stop start debate I can confirm it is because the handbook say so to do, page 5-200 ''When you tow a trailer, make sure to turn off the ISG system'' Hope this helps and clears up why I turn it off. As an aside ours is fitted with Tow Trust fixed flange towbar and Hyundai suppliesd 13 pin plug and wiring, no problem so far all the lights etc work on car and caravan ,all leds on both, and parking sensors can be turned off by driver when reversing to hitch up the van.

Posted (edited)

Re the ISG, the manual with my car, which is a pre-registration, registered May 21 but I reckon a 2020 model because I think it's updated from the 21 model, the only date on it is the fact that it says it is "Copyright 2019".

And it says, "When you tow a trailer, make sure to turn off the ISG system".  So it seems that even fitting a towbar to Hyundai spec, you have to turn it off manually.

Oops, overlapped Woodsieboy's post!!

Edited by Supatramp
update

But can you trust Hyundai? They also say on page 5-207 ''Use the right hand lane when towing a trailer on an uphill gradient'' or ''on a long uphill gradient do not exceed 45 mph or the posted speed limit whichever is lower''

Like Supatramp our car is classed as registered May 2021, but it was made in February 20

Yes, I must say I was rather surprised to read the speed warning on a "long uphill gradient"!

And re the right-hand lane, both South Korea and America, where the Santa Fe is made, are left hand drive countries.  Slipped past the editor? lol

6 hours ago, DUNCAN123 said:

Hi, Supatramp  I’m not too sure to be honest.

The electrics on mine are universal and don’t switch off the reversing sensors or the fog lights.

I was £550 about 2 years ago not sure what price would be now.

Buchan’s in Cambuslang we’re about £100 dearer if I remember correctly.

I think he closes on a Monday because they work Saturday and Sunday 

Duncan

Thanks again Duncan, also closed Tuesday!

42 minutes ago, Supatramp said:

And re the right-hand lane, both South Korea and America, where the Santa Fe is made, are left hand drive countries.  Slipped past the editor? lol

Are you sure? 

9 minutes ago, Squash said:

Are you sure? 

Yes, they drive on the right.

1 hour ago, Supatramp said:

Yes, I must say I was rather surprised to read the speed warning on a "long uphill gradient"!

Thanks again Duncan, also closed Tuesday!

City Towbars and electric?

They’re based in Hamilton but offer a mobile service

Duncan 

2 minutes ago, DUNCAN123 said:

City Towbars and electric?

They’re based in Hamilton but offer a mobile service

Duncan 

City Towbars are actually in Bellshill, but I think I'll give Discount a phone tomorrow and if there's still no reply, I'll give City a try.  I'm off across the water on the 27th, so time's at a premium.

2 hours ago, Woodsieboy said:

As I was resposible for starting the turn off stop start debate I can confirm it is because the handbook say so to do, page 5-200 ''When you tow a trailer, make sure to turn off the ISG system'' Hope this helps and clears up why I turn it off. As an aside ours is fitted with Tow Trust fixed flange towbar and Hyundai suppliesd 13 pin plug and wiring, no problem so far all the lights etc work on car and caravan ,all leds on both, and parking sensors can be turned off by driver when reversing to hitch up the van.

Well that leaves no room for doubt al all does it? 

So, as I said earlier, I have no problem at all  to publicly offer my unreserved apology to both Duncan and his fitter for questioning either of them.,

Having again read my user manual I can find no such advice in regards to towing with my car. It does seem somewhat bizarre that this is not an industry wide recommendation and I do wonder why that is. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Well that leaves no room for doubt al all does it? 

So, as I said earlier, I have no problem at all  to publicly offer my unreserved apology to both Duncan and his fitter for questioning either of them.,

Having again read my user manual I can find no such advice in regards to towing with my car. It does seem somewhat bizarre that this is not an industry wide recommendation and I do wonder why that is. 

What is the reasoning for turning it off?  Is it technical, or safety, or............??

I have no idea, and can see so reason ! . 

Having had my Volvo for two years this thread is the first instance I had ever heard of it, so for two years I have been towing trailers & a caravan (not at the same time…..) letting the stop-start do it’s thing. Nothing untoward has happened but I’ll switch it off next time.

Mind, I’ll need to read the manual again to learn how to do that!

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

The 2015 Tiguan that I just traded in had dedicated electrics for the towbar and when you plugged in it disabled start/stop, the reversing sensors and changed the breaking.

I would have thought that the start/stop was disabled to give the turbo a chance to keep lubricated with all the extra heat/strain on it.

21 minutes ago, mimo said:

I would have thought that the start/stop was disabled to give the turbo a chance to keep lubricated with all the extra heat/strain on it.

Thats a reasonable explanation as some turbo diesel cars did  advise to leave it running for a short time after long hard use to cool down and not starve it of oil.

The recommendation on our three Skoda is not to fit aftermarket towbars with bypass relays. So there is no recommendation to disable stop start manually when towing.

When factory fitted or coded the stop/start is disabled.

image.png.8a65060541dda5846b7a31f2104b178b.png

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

Can anyone provide a definitive and factual reason (rather than personal  guesswork, opinion, theory or supposition) as to why some, but by no means all, manufacturers issue advice to turn of stop/start when towing whilst others programme their vehicles to do it automatically? And even more make no mention of doing it at all?

The first time I had even heard of it was when Duncan told us about his towbar fitters advice. 

I am sure many have their own personal ideas, but I am seeking something a little more factual.  

None of the clubs have, to my knowledge, issued such advice, or even hinted at it being advisable over the years, likewise the motoring press! 

Has anyone here raised this question directly with a manufacturer? Or even “Honest John” ? 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Turning off the ISG is more likely to be because of the additional electrical demands of a trailer on the battery. The system is really sensitive,  turning the fan from 2 to 3 whilst ISG is active restarts the engine on mine, as does operating the wipers.

Edited by Towtug