2021 Santa Fe

Supatramp

Having just bought a 21reg Santa Fe Premium auto, I think the model was updated from the 18/19 model year, I just wondered if any of you Santa Fe owners used a different mode when towing.

There are 4 different modes, and I wondered if anyone used maybe the Sport mode when towing?

TIA.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What one person likes another possibly will not. 

I would suggest you give them all a try and see which mode suits your driving/towing style.

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Ive got the 2016 model with 3 modes.

When towing,I find the middle one "normal" to be adequate.

"Eco"tends to be a little sluggish and "Sport" is too powerful.

I'm in no rush while I'm towing.

If the occasional caravanner wants to fly past me and get to the site 10 minutes before me.....carry on.🤣

We bought 2021 Santa Fe, same as yours on 12 June,only been away once so far,just left it in normal mode, think the sport makes it more 4wd,normal has been good so far,it is our first automatic tow car so still getting used to it,also turned off the lane correction and stop start when towing,seems some dealers are clearing the stock at big discounts now,as new model is in showrooms.

Out of interest why do you turn the stop/start function off when towing? 

I tow with an auto and just leave it switched on all the time (lane assist or “auto-swerve” as I prefer to call it is permanently switched off).

If you don’t want to sit with you foot on the brake (like me) then apply the parking brake, shift into neutral and then take your foot off the brake, the engine will then stop. As soon as you shift into Drive the engine will start and the slightest touch on the throttle releases the parking brake. 

I think it something to do with the fridge charging/ atc power

The bloke that fitted the tow bar to our 2016 model recommended leaving the stop start switched off.

Duncan

We have a Sorento so same stable and both great tugs.

Like the lane assist when towing.

Dislike the auto / start stop but then it's not worked for a good 2 years. Always glows orange which I guess means the battery has insufficient charge.

Saves me turning it off...

1 minute ago, DUNCAN123 said:

I think it something to do with the fridge charging/ atc power

The bloke that fitted the tow bar to our 2016 model recommended leaving the stop start switched off.

Duncan

My view would be that stop/start would be beneficial for the fridge working. Each time the car restarts it takes power from the battery, so the smart alternator recognises that and increases the voltage to charge the battery, and that  means the fridge relay also kicks in and supplies the fridge with power.

As for the ATC that just shows how little the fitter knows about ATC, which hints at his (lack of) knowledge base for other caravan related electrical items (see above re fridge) 

ATC is supplied with power as soon as you plug your caravan into the car.  The engine isn’t running then is it? In addition the only time you will possibly need the ATC to function is?? When in motion along the road, at which point almost certainly the engine will be running won’t it?

The stop/start is probably to safeguard the turbo.

We have a 20 plate Santa Fe  Premium SE which has 4 automatic modes, "sport", "comfort", "eco" and "smart".  I can't  really tell what "comfort" does to be honest.   Certainly "eco" shifts early into a higher gear and lowers revs and would not normally be used for towing. "Sport" retains a gear much further up the rev scale and probably tweaks a few other things - it is obvious when selected - the car does accelerate quite well for such a heavy vehicle.

"Smart" decides for you which mode to use and it's my preferred towing mode.  

Using "smart" you can see the mode it's chosen by the colour codes on the dashboard.

Don't forget the paddles are useful for changing down quickly and selecting a higher gear of course.  If you don't move the gear shift to the manual mode - move it forwards or backwards to change up or down, then using paddles when driving in auto will change gear but if the car thinks you are labouring the engine or over revving it will overrule the change shortly after you've made it. edit: or not let you make the change in the first place!

The "lane guidance" I never use.  I only wish it had to be turned on by default. When towing the deviations it make are the easiest way to get into a snake that I can think off.  In my view it's not safe for towing under any circumstances. 

As for the 4 wheel drive there is an indicator on mine showing which wheels are being driven.  Certainly "sport" seems to bring rear drive in greater percentages but rear drive is also used when appropriate in other modes.

Reversing warning sounds are turned off by a dedicated switch near the gear shift.  That's a blessing when reversing hitched up!  

Economy towing 1500 kg around 25/26.  That's the same as both previous models I owned and they were manuals.  Impressed with that but not very economical in town I'm afraid. 

I'm not entirely sure what changes are made in the 21 version.  Some will be cosmetic but I seem to have seen somewhere selections for "snow" and "sand" and so on may be made.  This may be useful but after a little time with the car you soon become aware of how and when to use all of its features.

The rear camera is truly useful for driving accurately to the hitch!  

Think I've covered most things but please yell if there are any questions left unanswered.  I'll give you my thoughts based on my personal experience.  They may not be entirely accurate but very likely closer to reality than those who make "educated" guesses! 

Edited by Squash

I would imagine the thoughts of Santa fe owners would be pretty close to reality and not "educated"guesses.

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

My view would be that stop/start would be beneficial for the fridge working. Each time the car restarts it takes power from the battery, so the smart alternator recognises that and increases the voltage to charge the battery, and that  means the fridge relay also kicks in and supplies the fridge with power.

As for the ATC that just shows how little the fitter knows about ATC, which hints at his (lack of) knowledge base for other caravan related electrical items (see above re fridge) 

ATC is supplied with power as soon as you plug your caravan into the car.  The engine isn’t running then is it? In addition the only time you will possibly need the ATC to function is?? When in motion along the road, at which point almost certainly the engine will be running won’t it?

You have to be a little careful making assumptions now as cars do no not always follow a set pattern anymore, e,g modern cars I have owned  VW turn off AUTO STOP on connection , Merc didi`nt , Volvo does. ATC VW on all the time,  Merc switched off after six hours, Current Volvo, any engine restart will momentarily disconnect power to ATC causing it to self test each time, on connection ATC only fires up when the car is awoken by opening drivers door etc. 

55 minutes ago, compact said:

You have to be a little careful making assumptions now as cars do no not always follow a set pattern anymore, e,g modern cars I have owned  VW turn off AUTO STOP on connection , 

And that depends on model and year. Some do, some don't

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Ok

Thanks for reminding me why I don’t post on here very often.

I didn’t actually say that the fitter mentioned fridge charging or ATC.

Just that he said he would recommend leaving the stop/start off but hey what would he know he’s only been doing it for 30 years and is the recommended tow bar fitter for most of the main car dealers in Glasgow/ Lanarkshire 

Duncan

Edited by DUNCAN123
Pressed send by mistake

2 hours ago, George&Ade said:

I would imagine the thoughts of Santa fe owners would be pretty close to reality and not "educated"guesses.

So would I! 

Santa Fe with a sport mode amuses me. Our Tucson has 'sport' steering mode which is utterly pointless on that type of car.

I would leave it in comfort and waft... 

Has any other Sant Fe owner been advised ( by their dealer) to turn off the stop start function when towing?  

I am not trying to have  pop at Duncan, rather I am trying to see if the manufacturer, who will have intimate knowledge of the  systems fitted,  rather than a third party, issues the same  recommendation.  If they do I will happily apologise to Duncan’s and his towbar fitter! 

Out of interest I have very carefully checked my cars handbook (Mazda) and there is no mention of disabling the stop start when towing :unsure:

Edited by Mr Plodd

Duncan, who is the fitter you mentioned, as I'm struggling at the moment to find one.  Both Ayrshire ones are closed at the moment, so it looks as if I'll have to go to Glasgow.

It it's Buchans, they can't do it before the beginning of August, and I'm away at the end of July!!

10 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Has any other Sant Fe owner been advised ( by their dealer) to turn off the stop start function when towing?  

I am not trying to have  pop at Duncan, rather I am trying to see if the manufacturer, who will have intimate knowledge of the  systems fitted,  rather than a third party, issues the same  recommendation.  If they do I will happily apologise to Duncan’s and his towbar fitter! 

Out of interest I have very carefully checked my cars handbook (Mazda) and there is no mention of disabling the stop start when towing :unsure:

I have a Volvo XC 60 auto and the stop/start function is cancelled automatically if connected electronically to a trailer.

14 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Out of interest why do you turn the stop/start function off when towing? 

VW Tiguan 2017 handbook advised if tow bar factory fitted or main dealer then stop start could be left ,but if after market towbar and electrics fitted then stop start must be switched of manually 

This is the same for my present Seat Tarraco same instructions, it implies that it’s disabled or electrics are programmed slightly different if factory fitted but as mine were both after market I don’t know, mine are /were diesel petrol may be different?

10 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Would a specific note in the handbook that tells an owner to turn off the ISG when towing elicit an apology for Duncan and his experienced fitter? 

Just checked my Volvo handbook:

1050422014_stopstart.jpg.17fa1f0da60682ea17d9ce9cece02fbf.jpg

As I have an aftermarket system on mine the stop/start doesn't automatically switch off when towing and as it isn't possible to configure the Volvo with an aftermarket (but dedicated) wiring harness I will do it manually.  Never gave it a thought before.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Will Mr P issue an apology to Duncan? 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Vehicles with the Start-Stop system

If the vehicle has a factory-fitted towing bracket or one that is retrofitted by SEAT, the

Start-Stop system operates as normal. No special characteristics need to be taken into account.

If the system does not recognise the trailer or the trailer bracket has not been retrofitted by SEAT, the Start-Stop system must be discon- nected by pressing the corresponding button in the lower part of the centre console before driving with the trailer, and it should remain off for the rest of the journey ››› .

Vehicles with driving profile selection

If you are going to be towing a trailer, the use of the Eco driving profile is not recommen- ded. You are advised to select another of the available driving profiles before beginning to drive with a trailer.

Quote from the manual.

I had dedicated after market electrics fitted which activities trailer assist and picture of caravan on screen when in reverse and prohibits fully auto opening of rear door and other things.

I turn stop/start of anyway when driving if stopped level crossing or other longish delay points I just push the off button and again to go.

Just my preference makes me happy and affects no one else.

Our 2016 Santa Fe stop start works as normal when towing. It had stopped working so we had it checked when the car was serviced.

The technician said it was because the battery was not fully charged. Due to lockdown and lack of use! After a long run it was fine, have to admit it's not my favourite thing .

We have the lane departure thing but I don't use it. The blind spot warning is good but it does pick up the van when you corner sometimes! 

I have looked at the info on the new model,the different modes seem to alter the ratio of front to rear drive mainly. The settings for sand ,mud etc look to be similar to the Terrain Response system that Land Rover use.

Looks nice but we are happy with ours which is low mileage.

Edited by 664DaveS

5 minutes ago, 664DaveS said:

Our 2016 Santa Fe stop start works as normal when towing.

Just beware of stopping the engine when it's been on heavy load dragging a caravan around without allowing an idle for a shortish time to allow lubrication to be available to your turbo.