Suitable tow car ideas please

KarenB1971

26 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

Personally I think any 1.6 litre petrol engine may struggle with towing I use 2 litres and that works well enough but is still nowhere near the performance of a diesel. For your combination the diesel would be far better.

Remapping might work and be a cheaper option though but you would need one that gave a good uplift in torque, which is where petrol engines tend to come up short.

Don't forget turbo petrols exist! I would prefer to use the 2L turbo I have over any equivalent turbo diesel 😉 Solo and towing. 

We haven't yet established if the OP has a 1.6 N/A or 1.6 turbo. If its the latter I would think they aren't driving it correctly... 

WE towed 1400kg with a 110bhp DAcia Duster 1,6 petrol normally aspirated-had to work the gears and keep revs up-something I actually enjoy-and think ahead on hills-but there was no difficulty keeping up with traffic if you did so. IT was a great car. Not so much thinking to be done with the Navara , Buc combo BUT I still prefer a petrol engine anyday to a diesel. We nover got less than 24mpg either.

1 hour ago, Wildwood said:

Personally I think any 1.6 litre petrol engine may struggle with towing I use 2 litres and that works well enough but is still nowhere near the performance of a diesel. For your combination the diesel would be far better.

Remapping might work and be a cheaper option though but you would need one that gave a good uplift in torque, which is where petrol engines tend to come up short.

The 1.6 normally aspirated petrol will be hard work.

The 1.6 turbo petrol would have no problem.

But with Karen's budget I'd expect she has the earlier normally aspirated unit.

What 2 litre petrol do you tow with? 

I suspect rather than comparing petrol vs diesel you are comparing turbo vs normally aspirated.

Edited by logiclee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

That is where full or mild hybrid comes in to some extent. The electrical assistance does help improve the torque towards diesel levels. And a turbo’d 1.6 petrol can be quite powerful too. 

We have a 1.5 turbo petrol Mini, it has plenty of torque but it's not a towcar.

I expect a modern 1.6 or similar turbo petrol would be fine.

Before diesels became more common we towed with petrol cars including a couple of Saab turbos, they were very good if a little thirsty. 

The vans were possibly lighter.