Whale water pump on gas

nessie3

Hello,

I’ve just tried running the pump on gas. Hot water came through for a few seconds but then turned cold.

No amount of coaxing,switching on off etc worked and I’m now at a point where I don’t know what to try next.

Any ideas boys and girls.

All help greatly appreciated.

Andy

I think you mean running water heater on gas and the pump on 12v.

Thing I often forgot was to take cover off the gas fumes outlet on the outside, in which case the gas ignition light turned red. 

Is your ignition light showing lit or not?

Edited by David 38

The pump works off 12V not gas. I assume you are heating the water by gas and only getting a small amount. 

Is the tank full of water? 

Does it work on mains leccy? 

Have you left the gas heating the water long enough? You'll need about 30mins and the tank will likely only hold around 10-15 litres before it runs cold 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Hello Graham,

Many thanks for getting back to me.

I think I may not have left the gas heating the water long enough,it’s the first time I have tried running the van on gas.

Can I assume there wouldn’t be enough hot water to take a shower,just enough for a decent wash?

I will try it again tomorrow and leave it for around 30 mins and see what happens.

Thank you.

Andy

We both shower in a morning one after the other and plenty of hot water for both of us.

Thing is to remember to put a full aqua roll on before going to bed.

Shower is

Wet yourself, then switch off 

Soap yourself 

Switch back on and shower bubbles off. 

Not enough water for a full normal shower. Look at the water tank and you'll understand why. 

Same applies with mains leccy. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

The water heater is not like an instantaneous household item.

It is a storage tank which is heated either by gas or electric, or both for faster heat up.

The tank on most vans has 10 Ltrs of water in it and needs time to heat up which can take some time.

You can safely leave the heater switched on (after filling the van water system) as it is controlled by a thermostat.

20 minutes ago, Brecon said:

The tank on most vans has 10 Ltrs of water in it and needs time to heat up which can take some time.

Yes but that is mixed with cold so I guess ours is 50/50 hot and cold thus doubling the 10 ltrs.

No, the heater puts out water at 70 degrees, it is mixed at the tap, by the user to a temp that they want.

As the hot water is drawn off, it is replaced by cold which then heats up, so the amount of hot water is around 15 or so Ltrs at the tap before it reduces more as the hot water in the heater is diluted.

If you want really hot water then the hot water will run out much quicker than having it at a lower temp at the tap.

4 hours ago, WispMan said:

Shower is

Wet yourself, then switch off 

Soap yourself 

Switch back on and shower bubbles off. 

Not enough water for a full normal shower. Look at the water tank and you'll understand why. 

Same applies with mains leccy. 

This is for some reason known as a navy shower and is very effective when you get the hang of it.

I have fitted a push button stop valve between the hose and shower head (about a fiver) and this seems easier to use than  the main mixer tap which is then only used to set the temp

Tried one of those push button shower heads but didn't get on too well with that as OH found it too slippery when soapy

56 minutes ago, robertB said:

This is for some reason known as a navy shower

It was originally named as the Navy ships had very little water storage facility and had to be used very sparingly.

It will still be very relevant in submarines, but surface vessels may now have desalination plants on board allowing more leisurely showers.

I asked my mate across the road who was until recently a CPO in the navy (also a caravanner) and he agreed with your comments so closely Brecon that it was almost uncanny :)

SWICHTING ON!!

23 hours ago, nessie3 said:

Hello Graham,

Many thanks for getting back to me.

I think I may not have left the gas heating the water long enough,it’s the first time I have tried running the van on gas.

Can I assume there wouldn’t be enough hot water to take a shower,just enough for a decent wash?

I will try it again tomorrow and leave it for around 30 mins and see what happens.

Thank you.

Andy

Hi Graham,

I’ve just done the same procedure as yesterday then left it for 30 mins.

Pleased to say that everything is good,plenty of hot water.

Cheers friend.

Andy