Towing Electrics

mark-w

I have a 2018 Range Rover Evoque. I had an aftermarket towbar fitted but genuine elctrics. The problem I have is the towcar side of the electrics sits directly infront of the towball.

The caravan connector is in my mind quite long and sort of interferes and has to bend a bit to pass round the towball.

Is the a 90 deg connector that I can buy to fit, so that the car end of the interface is at 90 deg to the body work rather than inline like I currently have. This would then solve the problem I'm having.

Did not the towbar fitter realise this? 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Looking at a few Googled images of Evoque towbars the electrics socket mainly seems to be mounted on the towbar, to the nearside of the towball. It also looks as if the socket clamps to the bar. would it be possible to slacken the clamp and move the socket an inch or so to the side? A photo would give a clearer idea of the problem.  

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

2 hours ago, mark-w said:

I have a 2018 Range Rover Evoque. I had an aftermarket towbar fitted but genuine elctrics. The problem I have is the towcar side of the electrics sits directly infront of the towball.

The caravan connector is in my mind quite long and sort of interferes and has to bend a bit to pass round the towball.

Is the a 90 deg connector that I can buy to fit, so that the car end of the interface is at 90 deg to the body work rather than inline like I currently have. This would then solve the problem I'm having.

Not sure adding any connector is a good idea.  It’s another electrical connection or rather mis connection point for rain, dirt and corrosion to reek havoc.  Cant you reposition the socket on the towbar?

Trouble is, it was fitted when it was in for a service at an independant garage,. The fitter, cut the rear bumper as per genuine towbar but I have a removable aftermarket version.

I didn't pay any real attention to it when I collected it. Now 6 months down the line I collected it from the service centre. Always towed it with my Defender so never had the van and Evoque in the same place at the same time til now.

The other option is to fit a shorter connecter on the caravan side of it. Must be a shorter version somewhere

I don't think you'll find a shorter van connector. It has to be long enough to be weatherproof and accommodate 13 wires and their connectors. Having seen a few taken apart I can't see how it can be shortened. 

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.