On board water pump not being activated by micro switch

Gordon Luff

I have a 2004 Abbey Impression and now have a problem with the water. I am using the on-board water tank option. The control panel is a Sargent AC75. The tank is full and when I turn a tap on, the pump activated light is illuminated on the control panel to suggest that the micro-switch is calling for water. However, the pump is not running and no water is coming out. This has never happened before? 

Fuse for pump? pump switched on? don't know your van so just thoughts. Can you check power is going to pump when light is showing ?

As the warning light is coming on, it's probably the pump that has failed.

Time to get the multi meter out, and check that there is power to the pump when the light is on, if there is, then change the pump.

I have checked the fuse which is OK. The rest of your suggestions are a bit beyond me. The pump seems to be with the on-board tank which is inaccessible without taking out the drawer unit.  Are you able to tell from the attached photos where I could test to see if power is going to pump?

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

If you can identify which wires run to the pump, you can check there is power going to them, but I can't help you any more from those photos.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Only the one on the AC75 Power control panel. The tap symbol is internal and the water container is external. The external is working OK

IMG_0490.jpg

The microswitch could be defective, I hads a similar problem on my pressure switch, inside the pump. Measured 12 volts fine and LED was lit, however there was not enough current flowing to run the pump. I shorted out the external wires, and it ran fine. Bought a new switch for less than £3 and all is well.

Dave.

Thanks Dave, I can't see an obvious route to get to the pump, other than removing a whole lot of timber work. It is with the on-board tank under a drawer unit. I might just have to call someone out. I appreciate your help and everyone else that replied.  

Are you sure your taps have microswitchs? I would have thought a 2004 van would have a pressure switch. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

If it's 'a' microswitch that's failed the system should work using an alterative tap as the whole system is pressurised by the one pump. It's unlikely that the microswitches on all the taps will fail at the same time. So, if you have a microswitch system and none of the taps set the pump running then it's unlikely to be a microswitch problem. 

If the van hasn't been used for a while then it's possible that the pump has dried out and stuck, needing something to overcome the 'sticktion' and start working again. 

On board tanks are usually accessible from above and have a large removable 'bung' on top to allow cleaning and maintenance.  

If this tank is under the central cabinet, these are usually easy to remove and that may reveal access to the tank.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

If it works on the external water container then it is unlikely to be a microswitch that has failed.  Similarly, if you have a pressure switch then that would be working too.  The most likely cause if the internal pump, its wiring or fuse.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Gordon last here four months ago. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion