Pitch up

Sonar

Do many people here use the pitch up.com website.

Are there other options.
And what would you recommend  ..

I have used Pitchup mostly for campsites in France & Spain but not UK.

Always found website easy to navigate and bookings hassle free.

I do however prefer to do my own bookings from the internet in UK or you could use the various Camping Club sites as a member.

Used it once when trying to find a place for two family's to be at the same site. Was down to late notice and all my usual options being booked.

Was a very nice site we ended up booking 

Pitch-up is a booking site (otherwise known as online travel agents or OTA’s) - they take 15% commission on a booking, camping sites voluntary opt to list pitch allocation on Pitch-up just as hotels list on the likes of booking.com, Expedia, late rooms and so on.  They are good because their reviews tend to reflect reality (but where possible I’d advise folk to book direct to help smaller sites along). 

Nothing wrong with Pitch-up IMO, always worth a look for some “little gems”, there search options also help choose sites by location and pitch type.

Cheers, Martin

Wife has used Pitch up a few times and we've not been disappointed. 

I've also found that the sites we've used through it have been owners that are new to  the game.
Think a few new owners need to use more free advertising, rather than paying for the pleasure

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

Well, this is awkward. I was a developer on pitchup for 3 years. In fact I was their first real employee.

In general, you can trust the reviews on there. The management team were super strict about never deleting a "bad" review. They would occasionally edit a review to remove personal insults rather than removing it from the site.

They could be a little bit funny with refunds if you had to change or cancel for whatever reason. However, so long as its only a few quid of a deposit it's probably not worth worrying about.

I guess the most positive thing I can say is that despite not working for them for more than 4 years it's still one of the first places I look when booking a trip away.

10 hours ago, JanandJay said:

Wife has used Pitch up a few times and we've not been disappointed. 

I've also found that the sites we've used through it have been owners that are new to  the game.
Think a few new owners need to use more free advertising, rather than paying for the pleasure

I know first hand from several friends in the game that Pitch-Up can turn a empty field into a camp site full of people literally ‘overnight’ (in season of course) - they may be a tad costly IMO taking 15% from the site but it works and delivers bookings time after time (as long as the owner then gets good reviews or they could kill it themselves overnight too!). 

Those who watch/have watched the hotel inspector will have seen repeatedly success when establishments join these online booking agents - it’s just become a way consumers work …… www.do everything online.always connected.information.cheapest.NOW🤣

Those who always use club sites may get a pleasant surprise checking out some little gems on Pitch-up, give it a go I say 👍

Edited by Martin
Added link FYI

Cheers, Martin

Like those hotel booking sites they're parasitic and can lead to higher prices as site owners seek to restore their income per pitch. And I recognise they'd say that the extra bookings they attract would yield additional income, but when such booking becomes the norm then there really is no additional income.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

1 minute ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

Like those hotel booking sites they're parasitic and can lead to higher prices as site owners seek to restore their income per pitch. And I recognise they'd say that the extra bookings they attract would yield additional income, but when such booking becomes the norm then there really is no additional income.

I kind of agree but what usually happens is future repeat bookings liaise direct with site. Sites can only dream of attracting the level of business Pitch-up present standing on their own two feet, what are the alternatives? Maybe a franchise with a club? That’s just as costly and incredibly contractual/tied in for maybe 10 years.

Pitch-up also offer sites quite a lot of benefits including T&C’s, allocation systems and others.

No easy answer Andy, Pitch-up are merely answering how the market demands. 

Cheers, Martin

Thank you everybody for your input. And your time.

I will when we’re able to go make pitch up our first port of call.

thanks again.

Since cancelling our membership with the clubs, Pitch-up has been our main source for discovering new sites.  Having been members of both clubs for many years and staying on most of their sites, it has been refreshing to stay on smaller, less formal sites and, unlike the clubs, there's been the added advantage of being able to select 'Adults Only' in the search criteria.

We've just returned from a week on an excellent site which we would never have found otherwise, but which was a suggestion in their weekly email.  In fact, as I've been typing this, another email has just arrived from Pitch-up asking if we had enjoyed our recent stay and would we like to write a review of the site. 

I used Pitch up for first time last week. Wanted a site near Poole in Dorset and came across Pitch-up. The site we selected was in fact brand new and we were the 4th van on last Friday. I found Pitch-up great and as I understand it, if you put in your arrive/leaving dates it only shows sites with space on those dates?? The site seem pleased with Pitch-up and I will deffo use them again. Looking forward to being asked to write a review for this fabulous site too.

Now if Pitch Up had a ‘no dogs’ option, it would be perfect.

Edited by Whomer

14 minutes ago, Whomer said:

Now if Pitch Up had a ‘no dogs’ option, it would be perfect.

It does! 
2944DCCA-42D9-41DE-8703-4D0C277D2260.jpeg.17a67d72a8cbb089f906d976aeba7ddb.jpeg

Cheers, Martin

We've been using UKCS.co.uk for years, for tents until 2017 when we bought our caravan, and for that ever since then. I don't think we've ever ended up with a dud site, having read reviews carefully, and looked back over a couple of pages too. No profit to the sites as far as I know, so only objective reviews by real campers.

Free to use, and lots of useful categories when selecting both site and requirements, with options of searches by name, by nearest town, by radius from given spot, and more.

As the "uk" bit implies, mostly concentrated on this country, but has some overseas listings as well.

Just back from two really lovely little sites in Northumberland as a result of it, one of them close to relatives living in the area who had no idea it was there.

16 minutes ago, Martin said:

It does! 
2944DCCA-42D9-41DE-8703-4D0C277D2260.jpeg.17a67d72a8cbb089f906d976aeba7ddb.jpeg

Top! 
it’s getting to be like camping at Crufts now.

On 10/07/2021 at 10:35, VOLVOVANNER said:

Wanted a site near Poole in Dorset

What is the name of the site please?

Simmons Farm Estate, Organford Nr Poole.

Great new site for independent caravanners/motorhomers.

No showers, steps to Portakabin loos but everything else v good. Not a working farm so no mud.

1 hour ago, VOLVOVANNER said:

Simmons Farm Estate, Organford Nr Poole

Thank you VV. Could be useful.

We use it to find sites but if we have to book, we book direct with the site. 

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

12 hours ago, KontikiKid said:

We use it to find sites but if we have to book, we book direct with the site. 

:goodpost:

If we're looking to support small, privately run sites, we also book direct as Pitch Up take a 15% cut of the site's fees. Sometimes we can even negotiate a cheaper pitch fee based on the number of nights.

Never heard of it, but if stuck use Caravansitefinder. That is very comprehensive and can be a bit over the top sometimes.