Will it freeze quickly

Sonar

When the caravan is connected to a running tow car will the freezer section within the fridge freeze quickly.

I know there are other freezer transport options as I have just been offered one.

A portable freezer that plugs in the tow car and sits in the boot  goes as low as minus 19. Is this a better option for carrying frozen items.

There have been many discussions of late wrt the fridges freezing/cooling capabilities whilst towing. Smart alternators unfortunately have a lot to answer for. So the answer to your question is no. At best it will maintain a previously cooled fridge. I've found them pretty poor.

When the fridge is running on 12v through the car it will only maintain the temperature in the fridge, it certainly won’t freeze down. In fact, it is not recommended to freeze items from room temperature in the caravan fridge as it’s not intended to do this - only put pre-frozen items in the freezer compartment. We’ve had some pretty soft ice creams out of ours over the past month - they’re not the best.

Many thanks  for the replies.

I thought it might have been the case with the freezer .

think I will have to sort out the freezer box now.  

I will post details when or if it is still for sale..

I have a permanent temperature display of my caravan freezer box.     Also the 12volt supply for the fridge comes directly from the engine compartment through 2.5mm cabling.      I towed the caravan home earlier in the week.   Just before I started, with the fridge just having come off mains, the temperature was showing -18C.     When I arrived home, four hours later and having had a stop of around 20 minutes, the the temperature was showing -4C .   It was only a reasonably warm day.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

At best the 12v tow supply will only maintain fridge state and slow the rise in temperature of the freezer. However if you properly prepare the fridge/freezer on mains prior to a trip, the freezer will maintain at least a sub zero temperature for a fairly long time. Having it near full of pre-frozen items and avoiding opening for some time before your journey helps too.

All this assumes of course your tow vehicle is providing an adequate continuous voltage.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

3 hours ago, Sonar said:

A portable freezer that plugs in the tow car and sits in the boot  goes as low as minus 19. Is this a better option for carrying frozen items.

Are you sure that’s 100% correct ??

It’s more likely that any 12 volt item “might” reduce the temperature inside 19° down from ambient, but to minus 19° on a 12 volt supply is asking an awful lot!!!

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Are you sure that’s 100% correct ??

It’s more likely that any 12 volt item “might” reduce the temperature inside 19° down from ambient, but to minus 19° on a 12 volt supply is asking an awful lot!!!

Seems so.  

https://www.dellonda.co.uk/products/dl14-50l-portable-dual-zone-compressor-fridge-freezer-cool-box-for-car-camping-led-12-24-230v?variant=32241886658634&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIscWJhPHV8QIVkd_tCh2UnQndEAQYAiABEgI16vD_BwE

I am hopefully getting the 30 ltr version buying from a friend that bought two as he said one to use the other a spare.

he said 240 volt the freezer till the temperature you want load with goods place in car 

the temp lowers while loading up       the 12  volt of the car brings to temp down within an hour the the temp you set. Only while the car is running. .

when not running the freezer turns off. And will take some time to unfreeze unless you open the lid.

Edited by Sonar

Seems pretty impressive. However being the cyclical individual I am I have asked them the below question.  When, or if! I get a reply I will post it on this thread. I notice someone has asked a similar, but less specific question, and the answer given is, to say the least, not particularly clear or helpful.

What is the current draw, in amps, when initially switched on with 12volts (not 230v) supply, and how long would it take to lower the internal  temperature, if empty,  from say an ambient of 20°c down to -15°?

D

3 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

… being the cyclical individual I am …

I don’t remember you mentioning you had a push bike, Plod 🤣

Posted (edited)

Good old auto UNcorrect ! 

I do actually have an E bike, and very good it is to :D

Edited by Mr Plodd

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Seems pretty impressive. However being the cyclical individual I am I have asked them the below question.  When, or if! I get a reply I will post it on this thread. I notice someone has asked a similar, but less specific question, and the answer given is, to say the least, not particularly clear or helpful.

What is the current draw, in amps, when initially switched on with 12volts (not 230v) supply, and how long would it take to lower the internal  temperature, if empty,  from say an ambient of 20°c down to -15°?

...but that not what you do nor is it what was claimed.  I have one and it's on mains at home or on site prior to journey when it maintains frozen temp throughout the journey to site or to home.  well worth the cost.  Had it for getting o n 10 or so years with no trouble and been a boon over lockdown when consumption went up!!

Edited by SamD

Handy to know of someone’s personal experience.

Does it need the higher voltages that a Caravan fridge needs? Or is it happy with just 12v?

Just thinking of possible issues with (not so) Smart alternators that seem to be the norm these days and are causing issues with Caravan fridges when under way. 

@Sonar All you need to do is keep a couple of freezer  blocks in your home freezer and prior to holiday turn on your camper freezer on mains voltage with them in.  You will soon learn how quickly it gets down to required level - thermometer helps or water!!  When ready for off transfer your frozen food to camper and, in my case, place camper in boot and connect to 12v fag socket!  Depending on whether you have freezer in van, you can use camper freezer in awning on mains.  Sorted!!

@Mr Plodd I really don't know about voltage issue - 'in car' versus 7 or 13 pin connector.  All I can say is that over many years and, for example, a 5 hour delay on top of a 5 hour journey (Chesterfield to Devon) when the pylons came down on the M5 recently, everything was still frozen solid.

27 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Handy to know of someone’s personal experience.

Does it need the higher voltages that a Caravan fridge needs? Or is it happy with just 12v?

Just thinking of possible issues with (not so) Smart alternators that seem to be the norm these days and are causing issues with Caravan fridges when under way. 

Runs on a 12 volt  socket. Here is the plug

savedImage.jpg

I should say that Mine is not the same make as the one under discussion but the principles apply,

This is the one I am talking about.  

36L Portable compressor fridge freezer cool box ideal for long road trips, camping trips and general travel use. • Lightweight and compact design allowing you the flexibility to take with you anywhere you go. • Supplied with an AC to DC adaptor, giving you the option to use at home as well in your vehicle. • 3.5m DC power cable included. • Fully insulated anti-vibration design aids performance. • Features an electronic thermostat with LED digital temperature display making it easy to adjust and monitor the temperature of your fridge freezer. • Fitted with two wheels and handle for easy manoeuvrability. • Dual zone design means you can control the temperature of each zone individually, with both compartments ranging from -20°C to +20°C. • Refrigerant: R1234yf. • Control panel features useful USB output port for on-the-go charging. • External Product Dimensions (W x D x H): 723 x 360 x 368mm. • Maximum Internal Product Dimensions (W x D x H): 550 x 270 x 285mm.

savedImage 2.jpg

savedImage 3.jpg

savedImage 4.jpg

savedImage 5.jpg

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

My 20 year old Engel fridge/freezer box will get down to  -25C on 12 volt  at 3 amp in 3 hours.

The  Sawafuji swing motor compressor is a superb bit of gear.

Edit add link: swing motor

Edited by beejay

Having now had a good look the 12 volt car charger works better than I thought.

so tried what I thought Was.  The  240 volts to run the freezer turns out to be just as fast as the car.

Then realised that the 240 volt charger was in fact just putting out max of 14 volts.

So good all round .

This I would recommend to anyone ……..been told There about £300 new.

but worth every penny .

mine was a lot cheaper but unused. So bargain..

The effectiveness of the fridge when using the car battery depends on the wiring used between the car abd caravan. Many are fitted with wiring just too thin to work correctly but even with the correct wire I doubt the freezer compartment will get the temperature down that far. If you can run the fridge before you set off and get it cold though this should work and a couple off ice blocks in there will help.

What we have done in the past is fill the freezer compartment with frozen food, fill what space is left in the fridge with frozen freezer blocks. Don't open the door, stat set to coldest & fridge switched on to 12v, this method has worked on overnight crossings to Santander, then on to Camping Le Pavillon Royal, all the food still frozen in the freezer compartment on arrival? (no dicky tummy's) Don't forget that now we have Brexit, no raw meat can be taken into the EU?

Edited by David P