What tow car

Patbhoy

Have you not seen photos in car magazines of prototypes towing loaded trailers? However however convoluted some try and make this process we have to stick with the law and what the car manufacturer has type approved on the certificate of conformity. As for a Karoq and it’s SEAT Ateca sibling a full fat auto 4wd diesel version has a ‘kerb’ weight around 1600kg. 

36 minutes ago, Jezzerb said:

Thanks Charlie boy-interesting so how do they manage to create trailer assist software on a vehicle

Not my area of expertise I'm afraid but would assume the vehicles sensor's are continually monitoring set parameters that if a deviation is flagged it will assist in bringing the vehicle under control-I appreciate that doesn't fully answer your question......

Posted (edited)

I have a 2015 VW Tiguan 150 4motion manual. Towing a 2015 bailey gt65 Bologna at mptlm of 1606kg.

I can say that it just about copes, but with 2 growing teenage kids it's not great.

It was a perfect towcar for my previous pageant S6 at about 1450kg, very stable and loads of grunt .

Managed 33mpg towing with that set up fully loaded with surf gear on the roof .

However I'm looking forward to taking delivery of a Santa Fe next week and up plating the 'van

*The tiggy was 1760kg on the weigh bridge which is a chunk more than the quoted figures

Edited by mimo
Additional comments

Posted (edited)

To be honest 150 is not enough horses for that set up. I always go for the highest output engine available and remap on top of that.  And your comment confirms the only way to check the weight is to weigh it. Manufacturers often quote the lowest weight for the vehicle range. 

Edited by Flatcoat888

23 minutes ago, Flatcoat888 said:

To be honest 150 is not enough horses for that set up. I always go for the highest output engine available and remap on top of that.  And your comment confirms the only way to check the weight is to weigh it. Manufacturers often quote the lowest weight for the vehicle range. 

The generally accepted measure for a caravan towing power to weight ratio is 40PS per tonne. 

For that you use the maximum weights which would be 1930kg plus 1500kg or 3430kg.

So 150PS/3.43 tonnes=43.7PS/tonne, so the good side of acceptable but not greased lightning.

However it's v unlikely that the car would be loaded to GVW, whilst the caravan is likely to be at top whack. So it's likely that an average rig would actually weigh about 3200kg, which would yield 46.9PS/tonne.

A similar ratio exists for Torque where the acceptable figure is 60nm per tonne. In this case the max torque is 250nm and therefore the calculation is 250/3.43= 72.9nm per tonne and with the more realistic weight 250/3.2=78nm/tonne.

So in performance ratio terms, on both measures the car is able to handle it's normal load without issue.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

I know all of that but still think 150 is borderline even though VW tend to under rate their engines. It will probably be 160/165 in practice.

6 hours ago, -Jim- said:

Thanks Flatcoat. I’ve used the CMC service a few times over the years and never found my current or potential car’s details missing.  Likewise, I’ve never found their information incorrect.
I shall double check in future, thanks for the heads-up.

Jim

And yet I've never found it accurate for cars I've owned, so don't bother with any of those sites.

7 hours ago, -Jim- said:

Thanks Flatcoat. I’ve used the CMC service a few times over the years and never found my current or potential car’s details missing.  Likewise, I’ve never found their information incorrect.
I shall double check in future, thanks for the heads-up.

Jim

When I bought my current BMW, I tried the CAMC outfit match. 
Doesn't cover any 520D models. 

Only covers the 5 series on models over 3 litre

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

One problem with the CMC site is that they don't seem to repeat a model for every year it's current. So, for example, if BMW updated the 5 series in 2018 and those updates run through to 2021, you can only find the model in 2018. Not repeating the models for all the relevant years must save a lot of space on servers but it also gives the impression that a particular model isn't listed.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

17 hours ago, mimo said:

*The tiggy was 1760kg on the weigh bridge which is a chunk more than the quoted figures

Typical VAG. Our Yeti 150 4x4 is quoted at 1585kg and is 1640kg on the weighbridge.

16 hours ago, Flatcoat888 said:

I know all of that but still think 150.... It will probably be 160/165 in practice.

On the rolling road mine was putting out 162PS, 350Nm instead of the quoted 150PS, 340NM.

Remap on mine 190PS, 425Nm but the gearbox (DQ250 DSG) limits the torque to 360NM unless the limit is defeated. 

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

That is the problem with remapping a car with DSG. You could end up destroying the ‘box if not careful and ideally need the later beefier 7 speed wet clutch DSG that handles much more torque. 

2 hours ago, Flatcoat888 said:

That is the problem with remapping a car with DSG. You could end up destroying the ‘box if not careful and ideally need the later beefier 7 speed wet clutch DSG that handles much more torque. 

But that very much depends on if the DQ381 or DQ500 is fitted. (Both transverse 7 speed wet clutch)

The DQ381 is 420Nm the DQ500 is 600Nm

The DQ250 6 speed wet clutch is rated at either 350Nm or 400Nm depending on year and application. The only difference is clutch clamping pressure which is software adjustable.  With the 400Nm software in the Torque limit is 420Nm.

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.