Trying to Contact AL-KO

Hi

Does anyone know the best way to make contact with AL-KO, I have a hitch problem and I can't find an e-mail, tel. No. or even a contact form.

Any suggestions much appreciated

Their  email address is mail@al-ko.co.uk, or it was

Phone number is  01926 818500

Try this LINK

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the response.

The e-mail address bounces back and they make it quite clear on the phone answering machine that they will not Talk to  members of the public. There is a contact link on their web site but that does not work either

Edited by 8ig Steve

Very frustrating, because I also have the same email address for them - from when we registered our Secure lock. As you can’t get in touch with them, why not share your problem here and see if any members can help you?

As suggested,  the problem I have is :-

My 2017 Elddis Crusader Storm caravan is fitted with the common AKS3004 stabiliser hitch.

My new Mercedes GLE is fitted with a tow ball which includes a ring around the centre to allow the car to control the caravan during reversing (and stabilising??).

I have discovered that the vehicle manual states that stabiliser hitches should not be used and my Mercedes Dealership have told me to use the hitch without the stabiliser lever engaged, this in my opinion is an appalling suggestion!!.

I need to find out if AL-KO are happy for this type of ball to be used in the 3004 hitch.

I believe that there was a similar (long) thread regarding similar problems with Audi tow balls which eventually resulted in AL-KO confirming that it was OK, they look the same but hard to be certain.

An urgent response would be much appreciated as I am due to use the caravan next week.

Mercedes GLE Tow Ball.JPG

On 08/07/2021 at 19:41, JanandJay said:

Their  email address is mail@AL-KO.co.uk, or it was

Phone number is  01926 818500

Try this LINK

I have tried this link and had some apparent success with the "send message" button that it lead to, awaiting response!!

A quick search on Google revealed this Caravantalk post - hope it helps.

I also found a contact link that opened - it’s their shop contact, but it may get you to the right person and, hopefully, a satisfactory reply.

https://ukshop.AL-KO-tech.com/uk/contact

Edited by Glen and Les

https://www.mercedes-benz.co.uk/passengercars/mercedes-benz-cars/models/gle/suv-v167/specifications/equipment-packages/towing-package.html

it is quite clear there.

It's the car maker and/or towbar maker who needs to confirm it's acceptable to use the stabiliser on the vehicle not AL-KO!!

The 3004 stabiliser hitch with handle up is roughly equivalent to a normal hitch. 

As long as you have a well-loaded caravan, with the correct noseweight, and tyre pressures you're unlikely to notice much difference between handle up and down on any tow vehicle.  (I've accidentally driven like that more than once and am also sure one caravan had the handle pushed up by the handbrake handle issue.  Only on finding the handle up did I think, "Oh! So that's why I felt the lorries moving the caravan a tad"!)

Your caravan has ATC which - provided MB have wired the permanent 12V feed correctly (check that, too?) - will help control any unwanted swaying more than the 3004 can.

I'd suggest you contact your supplying car Dealer and Mercedes Customer Service urgently as they should also be able to speak to AL-KO technical direct.  You may wish to draw their attention to the Audi similar (if not identical) towbar ring system - albeit from another caravanning site not CT https://www.practicalcaravan.com/news/can-you-tow-a-caravan-with-an-audi-q7 

But I doubt you'll get a definitive answer to that very quickly, if it will change from "no" to approving the use with the friction pads.

Removal of the stabiliser hitch is a possible for a conventional hitch (and sell the stabiliser or keep for the future).  (Ask MB about greasing their special ball in that situation).

Edited by Rodders53

4 hours ago, Rodders53 said:

https://www.mercedes-benz.co.uk/passengercars/mercedes-benz-cars/models/gle/suv-v167/specifications/equipment-packages/towing-package.html

it is quite clear there.

It's the car maker and/or towbar maker who needs to confirm it's acceptable to use the stabiliser on the vehicle not AL-KO!!

The 3004 stabiliser hitch with handle up is roughly equivalent to a normal hitch. 

As long as you have a well-loaded caravan, with the correct noseweight, and tyre pressures you're unlikely to notice much difference between handle up and down on any tow vehicle.  (I've accidentally driven like that more than once and am also sure one caravan had the handle pushed up by the handbrake handle issue.  Only on finding the handle up did I think, "Oh! So that's why I felt the lorries moving the caravan a tad"!)

Your caravan has ATC which - provided MB have wired the permanent 12V feed correctly (check that, too?) - will help control any unwanted swaying more than the 3004 can.

I'd suggest you contact your supplying car Dealer and Mercedes Customer Service urgently as they should also be able to speak to AL-KO technical direct.  You may wish to draw their attention to the Audi similar (if not identical) towbar ring system - albeit from another caravanning site not CT https://www.practicalcaravan.com/news/can-you-tow-a-caravan-with-an-audi-q7 

But I doubt you'll get a definitive answer to that very quickly, if it will change from "no" to approving the use with the friction pads.

Removal of the stabiliser hitch is a possible for a conventional hitch (and sell the stabiliser or keep for the future).  (Ask MB about greasing their special ball in that situation).

The Mercedes link clearly states that the trailer or trailer tow hitch !!could!! be damaged, (I suspect if any damage was to occur it would be to the friction pads running round a grooved ball). This is the MB get out clause for using a tow ball without reference to 90% of new/recent caravans in this country. It very much puts the ball (no pun intended)  in AL-KOs court to confirm that their hitch will not be damaged on this type of ball.

The MB stance, from my dealer, is that the stabilisation system in their cars is so advanced that you would not waste time with a crude old mechanical system so don't engage it. In my opinion the mechanical stabiliser is the prevention and any electronic system just reacts to the situation after the event (the cure).

The ATC on my caravan is powered and green light operational, this is another concern because it means that there are two electronic systems attempting  to tackle the same problem which sound like a recipe for disaster to me.

I won't use the caravan with the lever up but the next issue would be with my insurers, they would need to confirm that they are happy for me to use the caravan without the stabiliser lever engaged does that sound likely?