Jaguar F Pace 3.0 diesel

dgreaves

I am checking the market to source a decent jaguar F Pace3.0 diesel version to replace my 2019 Vauxhall Insignia 1.9 diesel SRi Sports Tourer which in turn replaced my Mazda CX-5 awd all singing and dancing version, the Vauxhall is a cracking car and an admirable tow car on the flat but on hills it's another matter I should add we tow a Swift Elegance 580 , my question is does anyone tow with the F Pace? any guidance as to suitability very welcome.

Dave Greaves  

Have you thought about a remap? Otherwise I have seen a couple of F Pace tow cars in the past 2-3 weeks and imagine the 3.0 is a barnstormer. The only concern I would have is ensuring you get one with air suspension. There does seem to be an issue with stability when towing with larger SUV’s on steel springs across a few brands. 

Also worth checking if they require extra cooling for towing should you find an automatic model.

the f pace does not come with air suspension and all 3 litre diesels are automatic  but you can get adaptive damping  on the upmarket versions but what effect this has on towing I don't know 

I towed with a 3L diesel Velar but it had air and dynamic suspension, dreadful car but rock solid towing 2000kg and plenty power.

Now have a 3L diesel Sport with air and dynamics and it is also rock solid.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

thanks for the replies I will go ahead with the 3 litre diesel F.Pace but next question is that I have sourced 2 cars same year spec  and mileage  one £29000  from a independent garage and the other £34000 from a Jaguar dealer

but comes with the Jaguar 12 months warranty the independent has 12 months warranty for £450 in addition which one to go for ?

Dave Greaves

£29000 + £450 is a lot less than £34000 ! 

And £4550 buys you a lot of repairs IF they are ever needed.  

Just be sure the warranty on offer from the independent covers all you want it to cover. 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

If you have the reg for the cheaper one I would phone a Jaguar dealer on Monday and ask them to check service records and any recalls are upto date. I would question why it has ‘escaped’ the Jaguar used car network. And, maybe given the unpopularity of diesel the dealer car price is negotiable? 

Edited by Flatcoat888

thanks for the replies I will go ahead with the 3 litre diesel F.Pace but next question is that I have sourced 2 cars same year spec  and mileage  one £29000  from a independent garage and the other £34000 from a Jaguar dealer

but comes with the Jaguar 12 months warranty the independent has 12 months warranty for £450 in addition which one to go for ?

Dave Greaves

I found out you need the vin number and go on the jaguar service record website put in the number and away you go.

interesting reading and if they baulk at giving you the vin number walk away.

On 10/07/2021 at 16:16, Mr Plodd said:

£29000 + £450 is a lot less than £34000 ! 

And £4550 buys you a lot of repairs IF they are ever needed.  

Just be sure the warranty on offer from the independent covers all you want it to cover. 

you are right but if every couple of months you are spending £500 you will soon come to hate the car. Of course the more expensive one could be a dog. Why not try to haggle down the  more expensive car and like the independent, carefully check the warranty. Also check out the Independents reputation, MOT history of the cars if old enough to have them and as suggested, service history and it it is via main dealers.

macafee2

Check out the independent warranty, does it cover crank failure as JLR V6D is known to suffer, but its random. Most warranties exclude the crank, including the LR extended warranty, but, if it has a full main dealer service history, LR have been known to make a substantial contribution to a replacement engine, you're unlikely to get any help without main dealer service history.  A replacement engine is circa £15K and I believe a rebuild is not feasible as the individual bits are not available.

Edited by Barney1
Added engine cost

Barney, Given that the 3.0 litre V6 diesel is made at Dagenham I find it difficult to believe the parts are not available but I don't know for certain. The original 2.7 litre was a joint venture between Ford, Jaguar and Peugeot but I believe that JLR are the only customers now. 

On 15/07/2021 at 17:21, PaulHo said:

Barney, Given that the 3.0 litre V6 diesel is made at Dagenham I find it difficult to believe the parts are not available but I don't know for certain. The original 2.7 litre was a joint venture between Ford, Jaguar and Peugeot but I believe that JLR are the only customers now. 

It's now out of production I believe.

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

What bits are unavailable?

On 10/07/2021 at 16:31, Flatcoat888 said:

maybe given the unpopularity of diesel

I wonder if diesel cars are unpopular, or if this perception is what we are being fed by the media. 
Certainly, at the moment I prefer diesel, and more importantly, there is very limited choice of alternative tow cars for my van 

No, they're unpopular. Petrols are far superior and there are many examples that would tow your van. 

😁

We can argue til the cows come home but if petrol is superior for towing show me a petrol tHGV tractor unit….. but unfortunately the misinformed press and buerocrats have thrown the baby out with the bath water with their anti diesel diatribes. 

1 hour ago, swirly182 said:

No, they're unpopular. Petrols are far superior and there are many examples that would tow your van. 

😁

It all depends what you use to categorise "superior" For my part I consider a diesel as better  for towing and, as has been pointed out, you dont see any petrol powered HGV's, or, more importantly  for that matter, any petrol powered vans. Why do you think that is?? If the desire was there the manufacturers would be only to willing to fulfill it, and they dont!

1 hour ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

I wonder if diesel cars are unpopular, or if this perception is what we are being fed by the media. 

No, you only have to look at sales and what is happening in the market.

Go back pre-dieselgate and more than 50% of new car sales were diesel. By the end of 2021 it's expected to be less than 10%

Most manufacturers have dropped diesel from their small to medium ranges.

Many manufacturers have already dropped diesel altogether or plan to before Euro7.

8 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

It all depends what you use to categorise "superior" For my part I consider a diesel as better  for towing and, as has been pointed out, you dont see any petrol powered HGV's, or, more importantly  for that matter, any petrol powered vans. Why do you think that is?? If the desire was there the manufacturers would be only to willing to fulfill it, and they dont!

Commercial fleet management used to be part of my role and I still get involved today.

When it come to HGV and vans fleet managers do not look at performance, power and torque they consider will it do the job and overall cost.

Diesel nearly always win on cost due to the thermal efficiency and hence economy.

But in the last couple of years the van market is moving quickly towards petrol hybrid and EV due to the tax breaks and business wanting to push their "Green" credentials.

Trouble is the waiting lists due to the big players like Amazon placing massive orders for hybrid and electric vans.

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

just checked on the warranty offered as an addition to the F-Pace I am still mulling and this the engine section

below

Engine
The rocker assembly, including hydraulic followers, inlet and exhaust valves (except carbonised, burnt, pitted and sticking valves), cylinder head gasket, camshaft and followers, timing gears and chains (excluding tensioner), oil pump, pistons and rings, con-rods, gudgeon pins and bearings, crankshaft and bearings, inlet manifold and ring gear

Dave Greaves

Crankshaft included that good as that what can fail, and results in a wrecked engine that mega-bucks to replace. 

13 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Crankshaft included that good as that what can fail, and results in a wrecked engine that mega-bucks to replace. 

I had the transfer box and balancer shafts replaced under warranty on my ePace earlier this year.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

how is the E-Pace as a tow car?

Dave Greaves

3 hours ago, dgreaves said:

how is the E-Pace as a tow car?

Dave Greaves

Very good, I have the 2.0 180d HSE.

Wide wheelbase with very little overhang at the back, and pulls a 1600kg caravan no problem.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

I finally test drove the 3.0 diesel  F-Pace today the special First Edition version with all the bells and whistles but the

downside was the 22inch wheels this model comes with, the car itself is awsome but the ride on these wheels is dreadful hard to describe but like being on a springy skateboard,  anyway back to the drawing board and I'll try one with 20inch wheels.

Dave Greaves