"How thieves are targeting motorhomes and the signs to look out for" - the Daily Express

So basically the Express have done an article to help a Tracker company sell more products, not considering that trackers are only useful once a caravan or motorhome has been stolen, and the tracker hasn't been disabled.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

If my caravan was stolen by the usual suspects there is no way I would want it back.

24 minutes ago, Malc Edge said:

If my caravan was stolen by the usual suspects there is no way I would want it back.

I don’t think you’re alone there

1 hour ago, Odd days said:

I don’t think you’re alone there

:goodpost:

The only downside to not wanting your caravan/motorhome back in the present climate would be finding a replacement :-(

If you go on YouTube there is a channel salvage Uk who repair and sell cars. They do a tour of the copart auction yard, and motorhome and caravan section is empty. They was told as quick as the come in they go out, but they did have a stolen recovered motorhome there and show the damage done to it. You would not want it back.

3 hours ago, Malc Edge said:

I felt the same. However, my 2.5 week old van was stolen, but recovered within a few hours. 
The nice gentlemen who took it,  had forced their way in, and ripped out the alarm. Slightly bent the drawer slides in front chest in the process. But no other internal damage. 
So yes, in this case was happy to get it back. 
Had they used it, or trashed the interior, I think I would have felt differently. 
As an aside, dealer advised that if we hadn’t got it back, that no more of this model available, so would be a 2022 model, but not until September at earliest

6 minutes ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

that no more of this model available, so would be a 2022 model, but not until September at earliest

Exactly-funny times we find ourselves in..........

43 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

The only downside to not wanting your caravan/motorhome back in the present climate would be finding a replacement :-(

...and finding insurance.  You really don't want to go down that road, believe me

1 hour ago, Babstreefern said:

...and finding insurance.  You really don't want to go down that road, believe me

Very good point.

3 hours ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

As an aside, dealer advised that if we hadn’t got it back, that no more of this model available, so would be a 2022 model, but not until September at earliest

By this time of year, in any year, you'd be hard pressed to find a lot of new models and if you factory ordered a new one it would be a 2022MY van as from September.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

The not want it back bit depends on on how long it is before it is recovered. Quite simply if a tracker device finds it quickly you get it back almost certainly as you left it and so there is no problem. If it is missing for some time this may be a problem but this depends on what has happened to it. 

Basically motorhomes are going to be stolen to be sold on and the thief is unlikely to damage it as this reduces the price he gets, the new owners might change things but they are likely to use it for holidays weekends and the like so damage from this is likely to be low.

The problem comes with caravans stolen by those who want to live in it and it is they that cause the main problem. In general motorhomes are not attractive for this as the motorhome is no use if you have a transit pick up for your "business".

Posted (edited)

About half past five this morning the wife was woken up by a police helicopter circulating the area, the farm just up the road from us stores motorhomes and caravans, some being very high spec and new, apparently 3 were stolen in the early hour of this morning, as far as we can gather  trying to get away from the police they tried to cross Essex bridge at Shrugbough Hall a 16th century horse carriage bridge, it did not go well, i cannot only just cross with my 8 mph mobility scooter, definitely no room for a towing vehicle or caravan.

Edited by Oscarmax

Coincidentally I received an email from our local police today which gave advice about caravan security. Much of it is pretty obvious to those of us who’ve owned caravans for years, but I thought it would be useful to copy it here for the many ‘newbies’ that have joined this forum recently … … 

• Ensure that your caravan is kept secure at all times, with all doors, windows and roof windows closed and locked
• Remember to fit hitch locks, wheel clamps and immobilisers as required as part of your insurance, even when your caravan is in storage or you are on holiday
• Hitch locks lock a car and a touring caravan together when on-site or at temporary stops en route – the law allows you to tow with the lock in place providing that the hitch still rotates correctly
• Wheel locks have the dual purpose of being a visual deterrent and an anti-theft device – the best ones will still work even if the caravan tyres are let down by thieves
• Look for Sold Secure Gold or Diamond standard wheel locks – often locks that are easy to fit are also easy to remove
• Never store valuables in your caravan – those you take away on holiday with you should be marked with your postcode, as with any accessories you use with your caravan, such as water carriers, tables, satellite dishes etc
• Always store your caravan in a safe and secure location, as detailed to your insurer
• Leaving your caravan in an area covered by CCTV and good quality lighting will deter thieves, as will leaving the hitch head parked inwards and the caravan blocked in and difficult to remove – consider security posts to keep your van even more secure
• If you are thinking of keeping your caravan in a storage site, check if your insurer has a preferred site
• Before choosing a storage site for your caravan, check online to see what crimes have been reported there and how easy it is to go and pick up your caravan and if the site operator checks your details
• When holidaying in a touring caravan, try to use registered sites which have a good level of security, such as CCTV cameras
• Installing a GPS vehicle tracker could help to locate your caravan in the event of it being stolen – if you have such a system make sure that your subscription is paid
• If you have a caravan alarm, set it – these are often linked to the tracking monitoring company and can give early notice of theft
• Register your caravan with CRiS – if it is stolen and then stopped by the police they will be able to contact you quickly
• Keep an eye out for anyone acting suspiciously where your caravan is stored, and ask your neighbours to do the same – all suspicions concerning thieves targeting caravans should be reported to the police.

Jim.

I read the article. It did come across as  white paper with the aim of promoting the sale of trackers.

The insurance discounts given for trackers are less that the annual charge for connection furthermore  frequently they fail to get a signal with swift command telling you that your caravan is somewhere where you definitely know it isn't.