Baffled - Lunar LX200 & Trio awning!

Hi folks,

As a total novice caravanner I have done my best to find the answer to this question before posting here.  Hopefully someone can help!

I have bought a secondhand size 13 Trio family awning - it’s a full A awning - for my 1999 Lunar LX2000 524.  However it doesn’t fit properly. Both side doors are way too low (the doors closest to the caravan).

According to the manual the awning size required is 965cm (this would be a size 13). I have also measured it and from the ground on one side to the ground on the other it’s 972cm.  The awning rail alone is 894cm if that makes any difference.

What am I doing wrong?!  In theory the size 13 should fit but it definitely doesn’t!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Jenny

The canvas part of your awning should be a few inches above ground level all the way around with the plastic mud wall making up the rest. If this is correct then the awning is the correct size and you have low doors by design. 
The caravan being not being completely level makes a huge difference but as you say both doors are equally low that is unlikely to be an issue.

Thank you!  I have attached a couple of pictures here - the doors are definitely not supposed to be so low as you’ll see.  It’s as though the length on the rail isn’t as long as the fabric?

I’m not sure what size I should get to rectify it?!

Thanks again 😊

0436DA98-DE21-41A9-B608-7C081EFB8450.jpeg

Well, a size 13 is 950cm to 975cm  which is correct for your van and your measurements, so it would suggest that it is not a size 13 awning! From your picture it is clearly far too large, at a guess I would think that is a size 14 or even a 15. 
Is the size marked on the awning or was this what you were told by the seller?

There is a tag on the inside that says ‘975’ and the seller told me it was a size 13.

Honestly, I’m relieved I am not just losing my mind!

Hmmm so would you reckon it’s a better idea to get another size 13?  I’m not sure how to go about selling this one :)

Very odd Jenny, 975cm and size 13 are both correct, as you have measured what is known as the A measurement from ground around awning rail back to ground and have got 972cm then it should be an exact fit! 
My best guess and it is a guess is that the previous owner changed their van for a larger one and had the awning altered to make it fit, clearly a  cheaper option then buying new as it does appear to look in lovely condition. This is a fairly common thing and perhaps just slipped the sellers mind.
If you measure the actual length of the awning then you can advertise it at that length, rather than a size. I think if you do measure it you will find it is a lot longer than the 975 on the label. 
As far as I can see, yes, a size 13 is what you need, mine is a Bradcot and they work purely on length but it is fairly academic, size or length.

Actually that could be a solution, get it altered to fit. There are few companies around that will do alterations, you then just need shorter front roof poles to suite. Though saying that your frame does look to be the correct size.

That’s a good solution, I’ll have a look to see if there’s anywhere locally that will alter it as it’s fantastic otherwise.

Thank you so much for your help (and reassuring my sanity :) )

Googling Awning alterations Dublin gives you a few people to contact. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Hello Jenny - I think we met yesterday. ;)   As regards your Trio awning.   It's a good quality make.   The one I use for my winter trips is also a Trio which I bought second hand around 10 years ago.   In spite of three months use every year, it's still very serviceable.   I have had mine to the canvas workshop twice.   Once to have a zip replaced and again to have a three inch gusset added in each end panel.   What I would suggest with yours is to have a dart removed from the centre of the roof section.   You would need to measure from ground to ground on your caravan, then match the length on your awning.  The piece removed would be triangular in shape which would be several inches at the van end and going to a point at the outside edge.  However, it's better to be slightly too long rather than too short.   Remember you may sometimes be on a pitch where you have to place the n/s wheel on a ramp - which in effect increases the length of awning required.     A good canvas workshop could make the alteration almost invisible, at a much lower cost of replacing it by selling and buying.   Good luck.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Similar thought to Jaydug, I think you will find there are two darts in your roof section which have extended its size without needing to alter the frame. That appears how most of the alterations to extend are done. If that is the case you just need someone to remove them, they should be fairly easy to spot if this has been done.

When we had an LX 2000 524, the awning fitted well on level ground when the roof-to-side join on the awning was an inch or two higher than the gutter above the washroom window, and the equivalent join at the front lined up on the gutter above the front windows. I'm agreeing with everyone else here; the awning has grown.

As an aside, it wouldn't be much trouble for awning alteration people to sew in an extra label saying what had been changed and when, would it?

2 hours ago, hawkaye said:

As an aside, it wouldn't be much trouble for awning alteration people to sew in an extra label saying what had been changed

We had our Isabella awning resized by Isabella and they did just that.

Looks like the previous owner extended this awning as you can just about see the extension "darts"

On 06/07/2021 at 20:30, Jaydug said:

Hello Jenny - I think we met yesterday. ;)  

Hi Jaydug!

We absolutely did, you are an inspiration 😊 I have bookmarked your advice and plan to use a lot of it too.

Thank you for the advice here too. I really appreciate it.

On 06/07/2021 at 20:52, Stagn8 said:

Similar thought to Jaydug, I think you will find there are two darts in your roof section which have extended its size without needing to alter the frame. That appears how most of the alterations to extend are done. If that is the case you just need someone to remove them, they should be fairly easy to spot if this has been done.

Thanks again, I will have to get it out and have a proper look again (if it ever stops raining here)

I hope it's a handy fix so we can enjoy the awning without creeping through tiny doors :)

7 hours ago, hawkaye said:

When we had an LX 2000 524, the awning fitted well on level ground when the roof-to-side join on the awning was an inch or two higher than the gutter above the washroom window, and the equivalent join at the front lined up on the gutter above the front windows. I'm agreeing with everyone else here; the awning has grown.

As an aside, it wouldn't be much trouble for awning alteration people to sew in an extra label saying what had been changed and when, would it?

Oh you had an LX2000? Fantastic. I hope it was a good caravan for you.

And I agree, it certainly would be helpful to know it was altered and by how much.  It would make my life and many others a lot easier!

Agree with PHutchinson, if you enlarge your photo you can see the seam of a dart just above the window, seems to be about an 8 inch (200mm) section, if that is repeated the other side then that would be 16 inches (400mm) shorter. Would that be enough, just asking in case there are more darts in the roof seams? 
Might be worth measuring your current awning and doing the math. Ideally your canvas should not be touching the ground, just the mud wall.

14 hours ago, JenLunar said:

Oh you had an LX2000? Fantastic. I hope it was a good caravan for you.

It was. PM-ed you with a bit more detail.