Whale Pump Problem?

Doosan

Had my yearly service done in March and a small leak was found coming from my Watermaster pump (blue colour) and was told that they can’t be repaired. Bought a new one from my local caravan shop and fitted it myself, easy job just 3 wires and 2 water pipes to just push fit. Now the problem that might or might not be the pump. When I first fill the system it seems to take ages before the system is fully pressurised, much longer than with my old pump. The main problem is when I open a tap (doesn’t matter which tap) the water comes out fine at first then slows down to a trickle and the pump makes a quieter noise, then when I close the tap the pump runs for ages before the system is fully pressurised and it stops. My first thought was it’s drawing in air but I would have thought that the water would leak out from somewhere but that doesn’t happen, when the system is pressurised it will hold that pressure all night long will no pumping due to pressure dropping. The pipe that comes from the inside wall to the pump is about 18 inches long with no kinks. The other thing that might cause a problem might be the non return valve, I just don’t understand what is going wrong. I didn’t have this problem with the old pump. I’m away at the moment. Sorry this is a bit long and thanks for reading. Doosan

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

My first impression to the poor pumping efficiency is like you, there is air getting into the system reducing the pump's action. I think the problem is somewhere on the water input side. Leakage may not happen on the input side as it isn't under pressure.  It could be poor O-ring sealing , one of the fittings isn't seating correctly or a split somewhere.

I would start with the pump and as little pipework as possible and use a bucket or container inside to isolate as much as possible first. If you can just attach an input pipe and an output pipe you can see just how well it works as a baseline,  (flow in and out can use the same container so everything is working in a loop) . Assuming all is well with the pump's capacity, then add bits of the original pipework until it fails as before, that should indicate the area of further investigation. Good luck.

Dave.

Thanks, Dave for that advice. That’s what I have been thinking and running through my mind. This is something I shall do when I return home. My first thoughts is pump but as you have said it’s drawing air in somewhere and then it can’t suck water up until the air has been pushed out. Thanks.

Posted (edited)

I had this on a previous caravan and narrowed it down the the water inlet. Mine had a fine hairline crack in the inlet body. I found it when I started tracking the pipework to find the leak, and felt water weeping at the back of the inlet. When the pump was running the crack was allowing air in. When I removed the inlet I couldn't see anything, but as soon as I put the plug in it opened up. It was very easy to replace.

Edited by MacSpot

6 hours ago, Doosan said:

Thanks, Dave for that advice. That’s what I have been thinking and running through my mind. This is something I shall do when I return home. My first thoughts is pump but as you have said it’s drawing air in somewhere and then it can’t suck water up until the air has been pushed out. Thanks.

Is there a (yellow) Whale IC control box on the rear (so inside caravan) on your inlet socket?

If so, have you tried recalibrating the new pump using the IC Control? 

I have just replaced the onboard pump on my Barcelona and initially didn't push the fittings in far enough which caused a problem. It did feel like I had pushed in correctly but they needed an extra push to fully connect correctly.

Cheers

Paul

16 hours ago, VOLVOVANNER said:

Is there a (yellow) Whale IC control box on the rear (so inside caravan) on your inlet socket?

If so, have you tried recalibrating the new pump using the IC Control? 

Hi, just had a look and no yellow control box on my system.

6 hours ago, Doosan said:

Hi, just had a look and no yellow control box on my system.

Ok, may be worth investing in one, provided it will fit to the back of your existing inlet. Could you post a pic of the back of the socket?

4 hours ago, VOLVOVANNER said:

Ok, may be worth investing in one, provided it will fit to the back of your existing inlet. Could you post a pic of the back of the socket?

Here is picture of the rear of my water inlet connector.050AA523-A8AF-4DD9-AC21-4EC57135FDB2.jpeg.534191fba6805f0fad17885563ceaccb.jpeg

Well done. I think it unlikely a Whale IC Controller will fit to that as does not look like you have any electrical connection to it. Wouldnt want to see you buy one and it will not work as they are not cheap items. Hopefully with the pic someone will be able to advise you further re a solution.

On 06/07/2021 at 12:05, Doosan said:

Good luck Doosan, enjoy your holiday meantime.

Air is compressible but liquid is not so the pressure in the system is not accurate until the air is finally bled out.  Ditto with the vacuum pulling in the replacement.

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

My name is Hayley and I work in the marketing team at Whale.

Please feel free to contact our Customer Service Team who will do all they can to assist you with your query. You can call them on 0345 9090 911 or email info@whalepumps.com.

Alternatively, please privately send me the best number to get you on and I will get one of our team to give you a call.

Best wishes,

Hayley

I believe the IC unit can be retrofitted to the inlet box.  it looks the same as mine (though yours is more accessible)  There is a YouTube video on this.

But before you embark on expensive solutions take a look at this Whale trouble shooting document.

https://www.whalepumps.com/rv/siteFiles/resources/docs/resource-library/WhaleAdjustingyourpressureswitchb.pdf

Tried to upload my copy and failed!