Crusader Mistral 2018 Damp

I have had my 2018 crusader mistrial in dock with AWS agents since April 3,problems with water ingress on front right window.

Hymer refuse to accept a claim as it's not there approved agent.We have agreed a price with AWS  agent for the complete repair

there is where we are still at,as they say they can't get parts( in this case the front shelf matching vinyl).

So two weeks ago I gave them authority to get an alternative vinyl from a local retailer.

Alas there is still no progress,despite a paper chain of emails,and constant phone calls .

I'm coming to the end of my tether over this,what can I do?,do I need to take legal action?

Whilst I'm not an expert, if there is a Hymer warranty in place then can the van be moved to their approved repairer for the warranty work?:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/somethings-gone-wrong-with-a-purchase/claim-using-a-warranty-or-guarantee/

From your post, it looks as though you have already committed to work with the AWS repairer (unsure why for such a new van?) so would need to pay them off if Hymer can be persuaded to take over.

Otherwise you are in the hands of the AWS and need to negotiate with them and treat it as a consumer problem:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/somethings-gone-wrong-with-a-purchase/complain-about-a-service/

Unless I'm missing the point?

Elddis require quite a number of hoops to be jumped through before approving a warranty claim and that's with an approved workshop.  The workshop assessed my problem, and then submitted a claim, Elddis required photographs these were produced. They then required further photographs. They then asked for the fridge to be removed for more photograph but refused payment to the repairer  for doing this work who obviously refused. I then had to take the van back in for one of their (Elddis) engineers to assess the problem. All now approved but yes they are keen. Maybe they have been stung in the past or they just enjoy putting barriers in the way of those unfortunate enough to have a duff van. Your only option is to go to an approved workshop. 

Many thanks for the replies,the reason we asked the AWS engineer to do the repair as they serviced it,and in fact replaced the rubber around the window in the lockdown service in 2020,quoting it had A high damp reading .

My worry is can they keep the van in there workshop for an indefinite time,ignoring my requests for updates,or are they obliged to eventually complete the repair to my satisfaction.

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately, all companies will have their explicit warranty and hoops to jump through.  Customers need to ensure they meet the conditions to ensure they can claim.

At the moment, it looks as though you have allowed the AWS company to repair a fault (the window) that should have been taken care of by an Elddis approved repairer (actually, your supplying dealer who the warranty is with?)

If it's the same window, Elddis may well say that you have allowed an unauthorised repair to be made and they will not now cover any further faults with that problem?

You now have a situation where you have told AWS to go ahead with another repair and they are waiting for parts?

If they can't get them then either a temporary repair or other means of getting your van back until a full repair can be made is necessary?

All of this depends on working with the AWS people to find out the problem and negotiate a way to resolve it.

If you can't agree then you can take the van away but will be obliged to agree a payment to them for work already done, otherwise they can retain the van until an agreement is reached?

IMHO, much better to discuss and agree with AWS as legal action may well be expensive (especially if the actual problem is that they can't get the parts) and will certainly be even more time taking and frustrating?

You'll notice all my question marks as the exact situation isn't clear to me but my statements are what I would expect to happen unless anyone else has alternative suggestions?

Edited by DougS

It isn't unreasonable of Elddis to want their own recognised service agent to sort your warranty claim-imo anyway-I'd get it to where they want it to be seen or if you trust AWS bit the bullet and pay them to do it. Is your warranty intact anyway if they've serviced it-if they are NCC registered you should be ok?

I agree with Jezzerb, sometimes it is best to just pay the AWS engineer to do the job and get the van back in action. I have taken this route myself a few times even though i should not need to but feel it has been for the best.

Thankfully my servicing agent is an ex Elddis main dealer who is still willing and able to carry out warranty work with the full blessing of Elddis. He also lives in the real world and is always contactable. Many small issues I have sorted myself and the dealer is happy with that.

The biggest problem you have made for yourself is that you have enlisted the services of a non approved repairer by Elddis/Hymer.

Your contract is with the supplying dealer and that is where you should have taken the van for any work during the warranty period which requires approval from Elddis/Hymer under the terms of the warranty.

I am not at all surprised that the person you have decided to enlist to repair the van cannot get the spares from Elddis/Hymer, they , along with all the other makers will not supply to non approved repairers.

You could try legal action but you have broken the terms of your contract and I think your chances of winning any such action are slim to nil, and probably the additional cost of taking the action in the first place.

Approved Workshop Scheme engineers are allowed to service vans and maintain the warranty but they are NOT allowed to carry out the kind of repair you have to the main structure of the van.

They can repair most of the items fitted inside the van such as cooker etc as they are covered by the individual makers warranty, not by Elddis/Hymer.

Edited by Brecon

It's also a total nightmare getting spare parts at the mo apparently-they can't get parts for new caravans to keep up with demand -let alone supply spare parts-perfect storm of Brexit, virus and a stuck ship in the canal apparently are all being blamed. Hope you get a solution soon.

Edited by Jezzerb