Government changes the rules - again!

Woodentop

When the UK left the EU on 31st January this year we were all told that the country letters on our registration plates were no longer acceptable and we must use an old fashioned GB oval. If the plate had the EU ring of stars that must be covered. The Saltire and the Welsh dragon can replace the Union flag provided a GB oval is also displayed.

Then they changed their minds and said that we could use the letters GB on the registration plate provided the EU ring of stars was covered with a horizontal Union flag, all on the same blue background.

Now they have changed again! From 28th September the country code must be UK and not GB, the horizontal Union flag remains, all on the same blue background. Any existing plate with GB on it must be either modified or replaced by the end of this year.

One day they'll get it right.......................

When travelling abroad, an oval GB plate will definitely be required if the plate displays a 'UK' instead of 'GB'.

3 minutes ago, Lutz said:

When travelling abroad, an oval GB plate will definitely be required if the plate displays a 'UK' instead of 'GB'.

????? :blink:

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Lutz said:

13 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

????? :blink:

My understanding was that if the number plate displays the Union flag and GB where the EU ring of stars used to be a separate oval GB plate would not be required when abroad, but this won't apply if it displays 'UK' instead of 'GB', because 'UK' is not an internationally recognised country identifier.

Edited by Lutz

17 minutes ago, Lutz said:

I think you've misunderstood. The UK Govt. have notified the UN Secretary General, as allowed under the international traffic conventions, that the GB country identifier will be changed to UK later this year. Therefore UK can be displayed on number plates but an oval UK plate will be required if GB is displayed.

1 minute ago, Legal Eagle said:

I think you've misunderstood. The UK Govt. have notified the UN Secretary General, as allowed under the international traffic conventions, that the GB country identifier will be changed to UK later this year. Therefore UK can be displayed on number plates but an oval UK plate will be required if GB is displayed.

Thanks for pointing that out to me. If the UN has been notified, then of course that would apply and UK would replace GB both on plates and on the oval sticker.

In the grand scheme of things this is not really a big deal is it? It's a sticker, that's all.  Our government is trying to ensure that the people of Northern Ireland are included and made to feel included in the UK. A reasonable thing to do at this difficult time in my opinion. I don't think the minor matter of car stickers is the biggest worry at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Ern said:

In the grand scheme of things this is not really a big deal is it? It's a sticker, that's all.  Our government is trying to ensure that the people of Northern Ireland are included and made to feel included in the UK. A reasonable thing to do at this difficult time in my opinion. I don't think the minor matter of car stickers is the biggest worry at the moment.

It's actually international law but as you say, in the grand scheme of things it isn't the most important consideration right now.

I'm not sure what impact, if any, this will have on the Channel Islands (GBA, GBG & GBJ), Isle of Man (GBM) and Gibraltar (GBZ).

There are loads already advertised on eBay !

Posted (edited)

Let's hope the message gets through to the powers-that-be abroad. Many of the people that I meet abroad don't even know what the United Kingdom is and the term is rarely used in the media. Many refer to it all as 'England'. Even the term Great Britain isn't used much.

Edited by Lutz

to save one and all fretting, fit a plain plate with just the registration number and other legal markings for uk roads.

When you go abroad put on what ever sticker is flavour of the month.

macafee2

Mine has the ring of stars and GB below it, i tried to add a picture but its too large to post on the forum. 

I assume it would need changing from GB to UK to travel outside of the UK? 

There are an awful lot of vehicles in the UK who have the same plate style, i assume they don't need changing unless you plan on taking the vehicle outside the UK?

Well I've already bought and applied GB / Union flag stickers and put them on. :rolleyes:

I imagine we'll all be running around trying to be legal before we set off for Europe while EU vehicles will be coming over here with their headlamps unadjusted or unmasked, as per before Brexit.

8 hours ago, hawkaye said:

Well I've already bought and applied GB / Union flag stickers and put them on. :rolleyes:

I imagine we'll all be running around trying to be legal before we set off for Europe while EU vehicles will be coming over here with their headlamps unadjusted or unmasked, as per before Brexit.

I don’t doubt that for a moment! I am also sure that a huge number of Brits will travel to Europe with “old” style number plate identifiers and/or GB not U.K. oval stickers blissfully unaware of the changes and get away with it. 

Whereas  I, If I did the same, would probably get pulled by “Flic” a few hundred metres outside of the port and be “invited” to contribute to the French economy to tune of a few hundred Euro 

I wonder how I would get on if I had a GB and  a U.K. identifier on the back, or alternatively an EU type front number plate and a U.K. type rear one? The only requirement is to have a country of origin identifier on the rear of the vehicle. 

9 hours ago, Dave87 said:

Mine has the ring of stars and GB below it, i tried to add a picture but its too large to post on the forum. 

I assume it would need changing from GB to UK to travel outside of the UK? 

There are an awful lot of vehicles in the UK who have the same plate style, i assume they don't need changing unless you plan on taking the vehicle outside the UK?

No. As we are no longer in the EU - of which the ring of stars is a symbol - we would be committing an offence to display it on a UK vehicle. You must remove the ring of stars - which can legally be replaced by a Union flag - and display GB at the moment but no later than the end of this year it must be changed to UK.

What always puzzles me is that it seems to be impossible to get a plate within Europe that does not have the country of origin letter - D, F , NL, or whatever - but <we> only fit it if we want to go outside the UK (and because of the Common Travel Area it is not required for British vehicles venturing into the Irish Republic.) Maybe because of the lack of borders in the EU?

32 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

What always puzzles me is that it seems to be impossible to get a plate within Europe that does not have the country of origin letter - D, F , NL, or whatever - but <we> only fit it if we want to go outside the UK (and because of the Common Travel Area it is not required for British vehicles venturing into the Irish Republic.) Maybe because of the lack of borders in the EU?

The reason is that, because of the common travel area, the standpoint of many countries is that all vehicles must be legally usable at any time throughout the EU regardless of whether one actually wants to take advantage of the possibility or not. In such cases there is no need to inform one's insurance of the intent to travel abroad, either.

7 minutes ago, Lutz said:

In such cases there is no need to inform one's insurance of the intent to travel abroad, either.

The majority of U.K. car insurers, and certainly the “Big Boys” (rather than the ones no-one has heard of )  do not require you to notify them of any travel abroad (usually with a time limit if 60 days though) and the cover is identical to that which is given in the U.K. 

Always best to check the policy wording before venturing abroad. 

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

The majority of U.K. car insurers, and certainly the “Big Boys” (rather than the ones no-one has heard of )  do not require you to notify them of any travel abroad (usually with a time limit if 60 days though) and the cover is identical to that which is given in the U.K. 

Always best to check the policy wording before venturing abroad. 

I understand, but we on the Continent don't have a time limit how long one can spend abroad, either. Among other things I suspect it's because so many living close to the borders live in one country and drive to work every day in another.

Think I'll just stick with my EU GB plate

And I hope you get away with it.

Me? Well Sod’s law was written specifically with me in mind! so I will lash out my few quid and buy a couple of U.K. stickers on the theory that’s one less reason for “Flic” to pull me, and possibly (after mush searching) find some other small and insignificant rule I have broken and invite me to contribute to clearing zFrance’s national debt as a result. 

I doubt if Flic will be remotely interested in whether you have a U.K., GB, or even no country of origin sticker, but, for the minimal outlay involved I am happy to comply.  

But on the other hand  if Flic is having a bad day, or is just plain bored, sitting near a ferry port, or peage service area etc  could just provide him with an hour or two’s “entertainment” 

6 hours ago, Scarab said:

Think I'll just stick with my EU GB plate

Same, i'll change mine before we head to switzerland next year.

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Having read the posts about country identifier's I am trying to establish what to put on the car and van.

I am thinking of putting UK on the plates but don't want to replace again with GB

The Caravan Club say put GB on, any thoughts on latest proposals

RiCHARD

From 28th September 2021 the country identifier changes to UK, as notified to the UN by the UK Govt. Therefore GB no longer applies from that date.

On 06/07/2021 at 07:45, Woodentop said:

No. As we are no longer in the EU - of which the ring of stars is a symbol - we would be committing an offence to display it on a UK vehicle.

Under which law would we be committing this offence?  

My understanding is that:

• cars registered after 31st December 2020 must not wear EU badged number plates and must display a UK identifier (number plate or oval sticker) when travelling abroad.
  • cars registered before 1st January 2021 are not required to change or modify their existing EU badged or plain unbadged number plates but must display a 'UK' oval sticker for travel abroad.

According to the Govt. website, a 'UK' oval will be required in Spain, Malta and Cyprus regardless of number plate identifiers.