Member Owned CL site

I have just joined the Caravan and Motorhome club.

They have over 2000 CL sites, some of which are classed as 'Member Owned', the ones I have seen are more expensive than most 'Non Member Owned' CL sites.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the two categories of CL sites?

Thanks

I had always taken it on face value, 5 van sites are privately owned, some of those owners being club members, some not?

As these  are privately owned, the owners set their prices.

Unfortunately, where a site forms part of some bigger enterprise, like, say a farm as a typical example, then, unlike one in somebody's "garden", there is every probability the "enterprise" one will incur VAT because of the overall turnover of that larger business. So, expect these to be priced inherently 20% dearer, than the back garden offering, just to cover the same overheads.

I think at first basically run by farmers wife or house owner with a big garden to provide the wife with a little pocket money.  But today this as changed to provide income in many cases.

More and more CLs are adding electric hook up so can be higher priced to recover costs.

Last year I was on a commercial caravan site and it had a separate CMC Cl fenced off at one side so that definitely run for income and an extra 5 caravans.

I was told by a 5-van site owner (CCC in this particular case) that the club’s site inspector did his best to persuade him to become a club member - the reason being that potential customers would assume his site would be better run by a caravanner or camper, but in reality he had never owned a caravan or Motorhome or tent !

Posted (edited)

CL's were once places to park a caravan, which the site owner could run for next to nothing, and the money charged to campers was peanuts. CL owners were often providing themselves an opportunity to meet people with a common interest. Electric hook-ups were rarely provided. The typical CL now has professionally installed electric hook-ups which cost a lot more than when the farmer could install them himself by nailing the outlet socket to a fence post. The investment and annual certification plus the consumption have made it an expensive facility. Toilets and showers often cost a huge amount and the maintenance and running cost has to be covered. Public liability insurance has become increasingly expensive especially since the club no longer provide a club organised PL insurance policy. Local Authority business tax has to be paid.  Increased occupancy because of the leisure industry boom has made many CL's a business opportunity which may have become an important income element (or even the sole income) of the CL owner, especially with the decline in farming. Customers are still demanding more and more facilities - drive over grey waste dumps and even hard roadways, for example.

Edited by Ern

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, JTQ said:

I had always taken it on face value, 5 van sites are privately owned, some of those owners being club members, some not?

As these  are privately owned, the owners set their prices.

Unfortunately, where a site forms part of some bigger enterprise, like, say a farm as a typical example, then, unlike one in somebody's "garden", there is every probability the "enterprise" one will incur VAT because of the overall turnover of that larger business. So, expect these to be priced inherently 20% dearer, than the back garden offering, just to cover the same overheads.

VAT is claimed back on the costs so the overheads are less in compensation for the VAT uplift on fees. In a non VAT registered enterprise  the VAT is not reclaimable so the overheads are effectively higher but no VAT is charged . So in reality the effect on fees it is fairly similar.

However, in a bigger enterprise the investment in developing a CL/CS can be set off against taxable profits earned on other activities so one could argue the mix results in a better outcome for the owner,

Edited by Fenester
more thoughts