Electric supply help

joker11

We have just purchased a 2016 Bailey Pegasus Genoa. Can someone tell me how to tell when the mains electric is connected. We thought the plug symbol on the display unit by the sink meant the electric was connected but this doesn’t appear to be the case. We are just concerned that if the electric went off for any reason we wouldn’t know unless the microwave was turned on.

Normally you can't, if you have a battery charge level, it will go up when on charge .

I have to check my fridge or microwave to check mains is on.

surely you have some mains lights? you have mains sockets a  tester could be plugged into or a radio

6 minutes ago, madasaman said:

surely you have some mains lights? 

I think mains lights have been phased out on some models over the last 5 years or so - my last 2 vans haven’t had any. But as you say, you can always plug something in or open the fridge door.

45 minutes ago, -Jim- said:

I think mains lights have been phased out on some models over the last 5 years or so - my last 2 vans haven’t had any. But as you say, you can always plug something in or open the fridge door.

Funny that once mains 230v lights were the feature of the year!

23 minutes ago, Fenester said:

Funny that once mains 230v lights were the feature of the year!

Turned out there was an issue if you were off grid and it got dark😜

just plug something into a socket.   The fridge light works on the 12v in my van.

7 minutes ago, joanie said:

just plug something into a socket.   The fridge light works on the 12v in my van.

You're correct Joanie. If the fridge has a digital display, which a 2016 van will have, both the display and the interior light will run on 12V from the van's battery, whatever form of energy is being used to run the refrigeration. So that's not a way to tell that the 240V is working.

The microwave is usually left with the power switched on and has a digital clock display that will show that the mains is running and any lamp or electrical device plugged into a 3 pin socket will also tell you.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

If the LCD display is Truma (or for that matter Alde) and has a Schuko two-pin plug symbol showing then mains is present on the heating unit.

The alternative is a nightlight in the 13A socket that stands alone near floor level - possibly painted with a dark colour so it isn't too bright!

My fridge alarms immediately if it loses mains power (when it's supposed to be on mains power).

image.png

I have this fitted in full view by the entrance door - others could do the same. Alternatively a simple neon indicator connected inside the caravan or motorhome next to the power distribution box would suffice. Be aware though that even the dimmest of lights can appear to flood the caravan or motorhome with light at night, so if you're disturbed by this, chose the location of the lamp with this in mind. The third option is to buy a mains tester plug (see below) and simply place that in a convenient 13A socket.

image.png

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Posted (edited)
On 05/07/2021 at 12:54, joker11 said:

We have just purchased a 2016 Bailey Pegasus Genoa. Can someone tell me how to tell when the mains electric is connected. We thought the plug symbol on the display unit by the sink meant the electric was connected but this doesn’t appear to be the case. We are just concerned that if the electric went off for any reason we wouldn’t know unless the microwave was turned on.

If the electric goes of you will have to go to the plug socket to see if someone has disconnected it or the breaker has gone of.

so all the time you can use your microwave or the mains lights I don’t think there is to much to worry about.

This is most likely not a good answer for you the only other way is to have a fused neon switch fitted above a socket  when the neon is on the 240 electric is on. Or change a 240 volt socket for a neon switched one..

Edited by Sonar