Do You Have a Fire Extinguisher in your Caravan

Mr Plodd

as an old and bold Fireman told me on a firefighting course…

”What steps do you take in the event of a fire? Big ones”

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked a neighbour who was a serving fireman what fire extinguisher he had in his  house once. His reply surprised me somewhat.......

”I don’t have one! If I had an extinguisher I would waste time using it trying to put a fire out whilst I  could be calling the experts out! So my advice is Get out, get the fire brigade out, AND STAY OUT, shutting all the doors behind you!”

Which, when you think about it, makes perfect sense.

He did admit to having a fire blanket in the kitchen though. His reasoning being that if he had a fire he could grab that and throw it over the flames, but he would only get ONE shot at it, which would only take seconds, before legging it out of the door. (I have a fire blanket right by the Caravan door, but no extinguisher.) 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

34 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I asked a neighbour who was a serving fireman what fire extinguisher he had in his  house once. His reply surprised me somewhat.......

”I don’t have one! If I had an extinguisher I would waste time using it trying to put a fire out whilst I  could be calling the experts out! So my advice is Get out, get the fire brigade out, AND STAY OUT, shutting all the doors behind you!”

He did admit to having a fire blanket in the kitchen though. His reasoning being that if he had a fire he could grab that and throw it over the flames, but he would only get ONE shot at it, which would only take seconds, before legging it out of the door. (I have a fire blanket right by the Caravan door, but no extinguisher.) 

I agree but I do have an extinguisher, I think it is a requirement for the insurance.

1 minute ago, Ex-Gasman said:

I agree but I do have an extinguisher, I think it is a requirement for the insurance.

Really??  

Cant say I have ever come across that condition, to be of any practical use a fire extinguisher needs to be of a decent size (not one of the things the size of a can of insect spray) and that poses all sorts of problems of exactly where there is space in a caravan to mount it (then there’s the weight implication to consider) 

Could you identify which caravan insurer imposes that condition? It’s certainly not one my insurer has (Caravan Guard) 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

We do have a fire extinguisher immediately next to the door of the MH, and that is 'serviced' regularly but I would only use it to address a very small fire, in the same way as I may throw a fire blanket over a chip pan on my way out of the door.

My policy has always been to leave it to the experts - and I have been trained in fire safety and the use of various kind of fire extinguishers (with annual refresher courses) but no way do I class myself as an expert. 

In the case of a caravan fire, my advice is simple . . . get out - stay out !

Back to the original post:-

We have a MH with the access door on the UK offside (right side) and have been instructed on morethan one occasion to park nose-in on UK sites, thus putting our access door on the same side as a nose-out UK spec caravan. I never quite understood the logic, other than possibly providing a little extra privacy for those on the neighbouring pitch - it certainly was not a safety issue, regardless of what the site owner may claim. At the end of the day though, it is their site and they can impose whatever rules they wish, and equally it is my choice whether to accept them and stay, or move elsewhere.

When touring abroad with our UK caravans, I don't recall ever being asked to park the other way round on a pitch, in fact rather the opposite, and generally we could position our caravan however we liked within the confines of the pitch.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

19 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Really??  

Cant say I have ever come across that condition, to be of any practical use a fire extinguisher needs to be of a decent size (not one of the things the size of a can of insect spray) and that poses all sorts of problems of exactly where there is space in a caravan to mount it (then there’s the weight implication to consider) 

Could you identify which caravan insurer imposes that condition? It’s certainly not one my insurer has (Caravan Guard) 

I don't know if bmy caravan insurance has that condition but when I had a motorhome I'm sure it had that and I replaced the extinguisher to keep it in date. We're going away today, I will byry to look out the insurance when we get back. If there's a doubt better to have one than have a problem with a claim in the future. I have a fire blanket and I'm more likely to use that than an extinguisher.

56 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I have, always have had, extinguishers in my home, outbuildings, cars, caravans and boats when I had them.

First thing to say is that knowing how and when to use the extinguisher is imperative.

Second let common sense prevail.

I much prefer to have the means to safely fight, or contain, a small fire in all these locations rather than let say a simple electrical item, TV ?  in a lounge take hold before the fire services get there and stand outside and watch it get worse.

Yes, the insurance will pay for everything, but will they, they can't replace such as  memories, photo's, documents and data etc. items of no material value, but of immense value to the owner.

Yes dial 999 first, weigh up the situation and know how to use an extinguisher correctly and safely.

I'll leave the last words with those of a  fire service, I think that they know best !

If you find a fire in your home, the best thing to do is get out, stay out and dial 999.

Fighting fires is best left to the professionals and isn’t worth the risk.

However, if you have a fire extinguisher that you could use to put out a fire that’s small and in one place, then you need to know before hand how to use it properly and safely.

Before you make any attempt to stop a fire with an extinguisher, call 999 first.

Make sure the fire is contained before trying to put it out yourself

Make sure you use the right type of extinguisher for the fire

Keep your fire extinguisher somewhere that’ll be easy to reach in an emergency

Keep an extinguisher in your kitchen – this is where most fires start

Read the instructions for your extinguisher regularly

Recharge or replace any extinguisher that’s been used at all

Make sure extinguishers are serviced properly once a year

Put a fire blanket and a dry powder or foam extinguisher in caravans and motor homes.

Anything under 2kg CO2 or 6l AFFF, you are just annoying a fire.

if it’s too big to be knocked down by them, it’s too big for a hand held extinguisher.

I don’t keep extinguishers in the house, or car, but I do have them in my garages and the Workshop.

They are not for fighting a fire, they are for fighting my way out if a fire breaks out.

as Mr Plodd rightly says, get out, stay out, and get the professionals out.

Dead people’s don’t make claims on their insurance.

We have 2.  One in the front  locker that’s outside the caravan  and the other inside 

both 2kg powder ones.

I have seen how quickly a fire will spread in a caravan. In less than 2 minutes the whole caravan was completely ablaze. Hardly time to expect the experts to be at the scene other than to stop the fire from spreading to adjacent objects. Whether a fire extinguisher in the hands of a layman is going to be of much use under such conditions is debatable.

14 minutes ago, Lutz said:

I have seen how quickly a fire will spread in a caravan. In less than 2 minutes the whole caravan was completely ablaze. Hardly time to expect the experts to be at the scene other than to stop the fire from spreading to adjacent objects. Whether a fire extinguisher in the hands of a layman is going to be of much use under such conditions is debatable.

within 60 seconds, the temperature inside a closed caravan on fire will reach 600c and flashover point. Anyone trying to open the door will die, anyone inside is already dead. 

at least on Continental sites it’s common to see fire fighting hose reels that can at least be used to damp down adjacent caravans. Not sure wether that’s a legal requirement or just good practice.

anything hand held is not going to be any use.

I was told by a fire safety officer that the only reason to have fire fighting equipment in our office was in case it was needed to clear a path to the exit. Otherwise we left it alone while we left the building.

I was told by our local Fire chief that extinguishers were only put in anywhere because insurance companies insisted.

The Fire service just want you to get out.

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Yes, I have one and I would use it if appropriate. I don't see it as putting me at risk.

We have a fire blanket by the oven and 2, 5kg extinguishers - one near the door step and the other just outside the awning.  I doubt there'd be time or inclination to use anything inside the cvan except possibly the fire blanket.

I'd probably be tempted to use one outside on a very small fire as long as there were no gas bottles or vehicles nearby.

Having done some training as a track martial, and seeing how things can go wrong,  I would rather leave it to the professionals if at all possible.  

Fire blanket and as quick an exit as possible does us.  Not daft enough to even think of doing  anything else 

Not got a fire extinguisher but wonder about these.  They should be checked and serviced each year, but those small ones for car and van are only a tenner, I guess users would replace them as the checks would cost more than a new one. If it was ever made compulsory to carry in cars or vans then that would end up with a lot of landfill if replaced every year.

I notice on one website they offer a 5 year warranty. If it fails would you be in a position to return one?

short answer, no , but we do have the fire blanket. 

long answer. We used to have one when we started caravanning along with the fire blanket, however , they have to be serviced regularly  or the expiry date checked. The main thing is knowing how to use them properly  and the same goes for the fire blanket.  

I remember a large supermarket on fire in the west country , about 30 years ago, it went up in 2 minutes as most food and packaging are flammable, this store didn't have the fire breaks like the newer ones have. The people didn't  even have time to get their keys and bags out of the lockers, but at least no one died.   

I have seen videos of caravans on fire , I don't think anyone would have time to do anything but run and raise the alarm

Blanket and 5kg powder here. When I was in the Camping and Caravanning Club members were recommended to have a bucket of water outside the caravan because they were 'useful as near-to-hand fire fighting equipment'. My bucket seemed to only be useful as a drinking point for dogs and a collection vessel for insects, leaves and rubbish.

I have a couple of different extinguishers in my workshop, and one in the kitchen. 

In the caravan, no. If anything happens in that, we're out of there and let it burn.

Just looked at my two fire extinguishers in the garage! Both have a pre 1990 expiry date!

Think I will see if they still work!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Yes, I have one in the car and the caravan. Like others say, if the caravan starts to burn we’re out of there, BUT if there is a fire away from the caravan (barbecue, adjacent caravan etc) then I have the time to assist if possible.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

We have a fire blanket.  Chuck that over and get out smartly!

John.

1 hour ago, Leedslad said:

We have a fire blanket.  Chuck that over and get out smartly!

John.

make sure that your fingers are covered with the blanket

Posted (edited)

we got fire extinguisher, fire blanket, first aid kit, co detector and smoke alarm

1.jpg

20210704_1316051.jpg

20210704_1316241.jpg

we hope to never use them but they are there

Edited by robbie244