Anyone still hoping to go to France this year?

Morning all, basically as above. We still have the tunnel booking for the 4th September although the campsite booked through the caravan and motorhome club was cancelled this week (balance became due) so hopefully if things open up for travelling and not resticted to quarenteening on arrival or returning home a holiday in France this year is still possible.  Who else has the same optimism? .

7 minutes ago, boatrusper said:

Morning all, basically as above. We still have the tunnel booking for the 4th September although the campsite booked through the caravan and motorhome club was cancelled this week (balance became due) so hopefully if things open up for travelling and not resticted to quarenteening on arrival or returning home a holiday in France this year is still possible.  Who else has the same optimism? .

Fingers crossed/optimistic BUT as we all are aware it is a very volatile situation which can change at a moments notice......

Hoping to get 2 weeks in France in September. Both of us vaccinated and we tend to keep away from the crowds on holiday anyway, so provided the Border/quarantine formalities aren’t dissuasive, we are planning to go.

When the first wave lockdown happened, the wife and I made the conscious decision NOT to go France as we have done so for many years. Wife a retired nurse, me still working (NHS), we are all vaccinated, the wife who also had covid, last December. With this 3rd wave (delta) making it's self known, and how volatile the restrictions are, it is a definite NO.

We are leaving the UK mainland, for our main holiday this year, Anglesey here we come, CMC CL Adults only. Works for us.  (Not even leaving the Principality)

See what next year brings? 

Portsmouth - Caen booked for 1st September.  A couple of months ago I was optimistic, now, not so sure.  France still on amber list and Delta variant hasn't yet impacted France to the extent it has here.

Lots of things to sort out if we go, now that we have left the EU, but leaving that until August.  Things will be clearer then I hope.

We have both had our vaccinations.

We cancelled everything last year and had some credits with French sites booked direct which are valid for this year, BUT we decided that with the unpredictable situation (covid and politics) it is just too much hassle, and for us too risky health wise. Money down the pan.

So, were roughing it in Blighty again this year and hope to get cracking on the continent next year.

Yes we are in France now down in Dordogne. Went over on Eurotunnel last Saturday 26th. Antigen test previous day vac papers all printed out & French official stamping passports never even checked them. 

Done our French trip last yr usual 4mnths but this years trip is only 90 days of course & nothing to do with Covid. 

Come on over ASAP I would. It’s all quite normal. 

Thanks for the postive feedback. I also posted on a motorhome forum this morning, it appears that many people are also waiting and remaining hopeful.  

We are hoping to travel from N. Ireland on Irish passports via Dublin on August 20th.........hoping to 🤞

We booked in December via caravanclub for this summer but sadly just cancelled and got a full refund £820 , tunnel and some sites , thanks Pete 

Hopefully we will get to France in September, but, like many others, we are playing a waiting game to see how things pan out (no ferry booked yet) 

We have however booked a “Winter Sun”  holiday with Brittany Ferries for April next year. 28 nights in an apartment including ferry crossings with cabins and meals each way. Done it before, excellent value.  

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

18 hours ago, David P said:

When the first wave lockdown happened, the wife and I made the conscious decision NOT to go France as we have done so for many years. Wife a retired nurse, me still working (NHS), we are all vaccinated, the wife who also had covid, last December. With this 3rd wave (delta) making it's self known, and how volatile the restrictions are, it is a definite NO.

We made a similar decision to stay in England with a possible flit next year into Scotland. Much as we would both like to travel abroad again, concern over the ever-changing rules would spoil the relaxation we seek in a holiday.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Possibly September if we get clarity on rules, if not next year.

May go to Canaries or Spain in November for my 70th!

17 hours ago, boatrusper said:

Thanks for the postive feedback. I also posted on a motorhome forum this morning, it appears that many people are also waiting and remaining hopeful.  

Noy everyone is waiting . 807 passengers on first ferry from Plymouth to Santander a month ago 

we are still hoping. We have 2 weeks annual leave booked in august. if we can we will head down to the eurotunnel.....

Although I looked it up last night and it is approx 900£ instead of the approx 400-500£ it usually is!!  I'm hoping price might come down if demand goes up and more people go on...

Cancelled this years trip early on and transferred ferry booking to August 2022, if that has to be cancelled think we will call it a day in the EU. 

Would It be a far assumption that people who have recently made the journey across the water to Europe are retired/self employed?

Hence if they need to isolate on their return to the UK they do not have to take annual holiday out of their Employee allowance?

We are hoping for Italy in September which of course involves a short transit through France. 

Failing that, we are trying again for Christmas and New Year. The latter will happen even if the former does happen! 

Russ 

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

18 minutes ago, moorgate said:

Or they can work from home.

That's assuming they can travel home and not have to stay in a government hotel to isolate......

2 hours ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Would It be a far assumption that people who have recently made the journey across the water to Europe are retired/self employed?

Hence if they need to isolate on their return to the UK they do not have to take annual holiday out of their Employee allowance?

Yes we are retired. Not remotely  bothered about what happens when we get back.  All that mattered was getting to France as normal & we have achieved that so win win. 

On 04/07/2021 at 09:54, boatrusper said:

If you are lucky enough to get away I wouldn't worry that you have had to cancel your booked site. Apart from a few beachside sites in the South of France sites in France are rarely full at that time of year.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

On 05/07/2021 at 13:56, reedyontour said:

we are still hoping. We have 2 weeks annual leave booked in august. if we can we will head down to the eurotunnel.....

Although I looked it up last night and it is approx 900£ instead of the approx 400-500£ it usually is!!  I'm hoping price might come down if demand goes up and more people go on...

My understanding of “supply and demand” is that prices go up if demand increases. I have seen some insane prices for self-catering holidays in the UK this year.

2 hours ago, Glen and Les said:

My understanding of “supply and demand” is that prices go up if demand increases. I have seen some insane prices for self-catering holidays in the UK this year.

I know, I know, I am in denial!! :D:D

Isn't that Egypt not France??? 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion