Draft skirt advice

al0505

Hi Recently bought a kampa 330 rally air.

i was shocked to find that the awning didn’t come with a draft skirt!!!!

so moving on what does everyone recommend? We will also need a way of covering the wheel. (Considering using corex from work to make my own then zip tie it to the alloy)?

thanks in advance

Ant

Draught skirt is available to buy by the metre from most accessory shops, there’s little difference between makes from what I have seen. The problem with wheel arch covers is getting them to stay in place! I now have an Isabella cover which requires an aluminium strip sticking onto the side and it slides into that. Works well and doesn’t require and drilling etc.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Thanks for the swift reply!

i will take a look at the Isabella cover.
we as most are trying to make the awning as dog proof as possible as well as stopping any drafts!

Posted (edited)

Draft-stoppa make a nifty wheel arch cover which requires no add on's, press stud's or sticky stripes.

www.draft-stoppa.co.uk

It is available to suit single or twin axle caravans.

Video available on Utube :-)

Edited by charlieboy2608

Posted (edited)

We bought our draught skirt by the meter from eBay.

Bought an extra meter  marked out where the wheel arch was .. Then sewed the wheel arch One meter length to the skirt just below the thread cord.

then bought some adjustable suckers again from ebay

and now it is all in one.

Slide in the skirt lift the wheel  sewn on flap  on the skirt  above the wheel arch and stick on..

Quick and easy..  and cheap so easy to replace when required.

The suckers are in ebay..

eBay item number:

Edited by Sonar

33 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Draft-stoppa make a nifty wheel arch cover which requires no add on's, press stud's or sticky stripes.

www.draft-stoppa.co.uk

Thanks Charlie - although I couldn't find it with the address you quoted - I did find Jaid Designs as linked below

https://www.jaiddesigns.co.uk/

Just now, DerbyClubman said:

Thanks Charlie - although I couldn't find it with the address you quoted - I did find Jaid Designs as linked below

https://www.jaiddesigns.co.uk/

Apologise's...I did do a quick search but the manufacture's name deserted me.

We have been using one for about 7 years-great design and durability :-)

9 hours ago, al0505 said:

so moving on what does everyone recommend? We will also need a way of covering the wheel. (Considering using corex from work to make my own then zip tie it to the alloy)?

thanks in advance

Ant

Simple neat solution is a piece of figure of 8 channel (see here) to locate on the awning skirt across the wheel arch. Then use another piece of awning skirt 'upside down' located in the channel and secured at the top to the van side using your choice of velcro, press studs or limpets.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

For the OP

The quoted 'Draftstopper' is made from Corex. 

Like you, if I had a supply of corex I would have made my own. But my Brother changed his caravan for a twin, so I inherited it?  

1 hour ago, KnausCol said:

Simple neat solution is a piece of figure of 8 channel  to locate on the awning skirt across the wheel arch. Then use another piece of awning skirt 'upside down' located in the channel and secured at the top to the van side using your choice of velcro, press studs or limpets.

The very system I've been using for years.   With a couple of suction hooks it leaves no marks and works a treat.

1300932329_Awningskirtaaa.jpg.03eca69b076b3337cc532a3445e9829b.jpg

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Thanks for all the great replies!

Having a Labrador and a Golden Retriever we needed something robust.

I bought 750mm wide draft skirt to suit the length of the caravan and also a Draft Stoppa.

The dogs will get under the skirt unless you find a way to stop them.

My way was to use 40mm x 12mm softwood  lats in 2.1 m lengths, cut lengths to suit the skirting, drill every 600mm or so and peg them over the excess at the bottom of the skirt.  The lats weigh little and can be stored in the caravan or wherever.  The only drawback is holes in your skirt but they are secure.  There's enough ventilation from the open ends and other side of the cvan.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, al0505 said:

........as most are trying to make the awning as dog proof as possible as well as stopping any drafts!

Similar here except ours is for cat proofing, I knocked this up out of 4mm ply with adjustable feet to keep it shut up tight to the wheelarch.

20210704_222818.png.d21dda99e9d323ed81b03ab4dc517967.png

Also pin the ends of the draught skirt to stop them sneaking out the sides.

20210704_223905.png.3f13f0d946b24c9f13881823b2c36735.png

Edited by Griff
Pic added.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

The Knaus has an awning strip around the wheel arch, so I had these made by Bags4Everything. (Apologies for the wrinkles but they had just come out of the bag when I took the photo!) One for each side of the van - to protect the offside tyres as well from sunlight when stored at home. The flap at the bottom can either be pegged down - or on the awning side - the carpet goes over it and keeps it in place with no draughts whatsoever - and totally dog-proof.

IMG_1214.JPG

VW Touareg Escape towing a 2018 Knaus Starclass 695

This is my effort, used 9mm ply cut to shape then glued a matching piece of draught skirt plus a figure of eight rail along the bottom, it has adjustable legs to help keep it in the correct position. 

41EA9659-E84D-4A94-88D8-4D605CC1F2A7.jpeg

11 hours ago, Jaydug said:

The very system I've been using for years.   With a couple of suction hooks it leaves no marks and works a treat.

1300932329_Awningskirtaaa.jpg.03eca69b076b3337cc532a3445e9829b.jpg

That is the very same system I have made myself.

easy to fit works well and cost not a lot to do it…

22 hours ago, al0505 said:

thanks in advance

Ant

Really?? 

Every awning I have ever purchased, full size, three quarter or small porch has always included a draft skirt of the appropriate size.

I would be inclined to check with Kampa as that doesn’t seem right to me. 

EDIT

Just looked on line and Kampa (Dometic)  clearly don’t supply any draught skirts with their awnings now. Penny pinching lot! A draught skirt is a vital part of an awning, I wouldn’t buy a new car and expect to pay extra for the ignition key in order to be able to use it! 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

22 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Really?? 

Every awning I have ever purchased, full size, three quarter or small porch has always included a draft skirt of the appropriate size.

I would be inclined to check with Kampa as that doesn’t seem right to me. 

EDIT

Just looked on line and Kampa (Dometic)  clearly don’t supply any draught skirts with their awnings now. Penny pinching lot! A draught skirt is a vital part of an awning, I wouldn’t buy a new car and expect to pay extra for the ignition key in order to be able to use it! 

Exactly my thoughts!! At least provide a basic skirt! Fit for size! The last two we had came with a draft skirt

24 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

A draught skirt is a vital part of an awning, 

I agree that the four awnings we have had over the years all came with the skirt but we hardly ever bothered to fit it as we had no pets or kids to confine in the awning, and as many trips were just for weekends it didn't seem worth the bother. We tend to use the awning as a storage area but if we do sit out there and it gets too draughty, then we go back in the van !

Just now, DerbyClubman said:

I agree that the four awnings we have had over the years all came with the skirt but we hardly ever bothered to fit it as we had no pets or kids to confine in the awning, and as many trips were just for weekends it didn't seem worth the bother. We tend to use the awning as a storage area but if we do sit out there and it gets too draughty, then we go back in the van !

I think you are very much in the minority on that score! 

Most people seem to use their awnings as lounges and spend a lot of evenings in them (well we do) so minimising draughts  (Not drafts! ) is important. 

We would still use the same system to keep out ducks, foxes and other critters which seem to roam the sites we use whenever the awning is up even without pets.

For weekends we wouldn't bother putting our awning up as we wouldn't take our cats with us, they would stay at home, not so easy with dogs though.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

I wouldn’t buy a new car and expect to pay extra for the ignition key in order to be able to use it! 

The skirt isn't necessarily essential to make the awning work.

Rather like, these days, when you buy a new car if you want a spare wheel you have to pay extra, otherwise it just comes with a (useless) puncture repair kit.

44 minutes ago, Cheltenham Caravanner said:

I wouldn’t buy a new car and expect to pay extra for the ignition key in order to be able to use it! 

The skirt isn't necessarily essential to make the awning work.

Rather like, these days, when you buy a new car if you want a spare wheel you have to pay extra, otherwise it just comes with a (useless) puncture repair kit.

The spare wheel situation surprised me at the time.

Yes I had to pay extra for a spare wheel  and because I bought the wheel 

I never got the INCLUDED repair kit…

As just a reminder.....

These puncture repair kit cans of gunk have an expiry date! Worth checking yours just in case!