Continental Style Caravan

Ed1973

We regularly visit a municipal site in the Loire that has a “No twin axle caravans” sign at the entrance. We know the site warden reasonably well and I asked her about the reason for the sign. Her response???

”We don’t want any travellers coming in and ruining the site for everyone else, so it’s very easy if they turn up to point to the sign and say Non! 

If the people with the caravan look like nice holidaymakers, then we let them in of course, but the sign gives us the option”

They have the same attitude if a caravan turns up being towed by a van or pickup, if it looks like a neat and tidy private van (Transit custom being a prime example) then they may well let them in, but if it’s a “Oi’ve got a bit ‘o tarmac left sor!” pickup it’s whole a different story. 

Quite often, when driving around France, you will see dedicated “ aire like”camp sites for seasonal workers who move around the country with their caravans for work, usually linked to agriculture  (“Gens de voyages”  or something similar) . Those sites are always immaculately clean and tidy! So it’s not all travellers who treat the rest of the world like rubbish dumps with no regard for others.

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

On 03/07/2021 at 18:11, Ed1973 said:

Looking at booking a site and it says it can’t take continental style caravans, a quick Google brought no info about what type of caravan this is. Any ideas

ps we have a twin axle van that measure 7.96m

For continental style caravans they could mean anything really but I'd assume they mean twin axle Hobby and Fendt. However, it could also be the more generic interpretation of the door being on the UK offside.

I suspect they don't want to discourage UK van owners with a nice twin axle Swift, Bailey or the like (as no twin axles would normally cover it in that case) while giving themselves an out for certain undesirable clientele.

If you feel your caravan may be taken for a continental style van then you have two options:

- You can decide to take your money and spend it with another campsite who welcome you. 

- You can phone them up and make clear that you are not the type of owner they may be concerned about and check that they are happy to take your booking.

Interesting post and only the second time I've heard this, I'm stewarding a THS later in July, a lady phoned me this week to book on and asked if it was alright to book as she had a 'van with door on right side and in the past she had been refused on commercial sites! Every day a school day

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

Interesting reading and thanks for of your replies. Think I’ll ring and check.

• Guest locked this topic