Continental Style Caravan

Ed1973

Looking at booking a site and it says it can’t take continental style caravans, a quick Google brought no info about what type of caravan this is. Any ideas

ps we have a twin axle van that measure 7.96m

It's where the door is on the opposite side

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

So don’t you just put it on the pitch with the hitch the other way round, so the door is facing the same way as everyone else?

or is that too simplistic? 😕

8 minutes ago, Vaguely said:

So don’t you just put it on the pitch with the hitch the other way round, so the door is facing the same way as everyone else?

That's may be possible if you have a mover but the site won't know that.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

8 minutes ago, Vaguely said:

Some sites for insurance purposes require the hitch to be facing out. 
I asked at a site once where the view was fantastic at the back of the van and not so at the front. Was told by the owner that all vans have to  have the hitch pointing in the same direction in case of an emergency

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

1 hour ago, Ed1973 said:

Looking at booking a site and it says it can’t take continental style caravans, a quick Google brought no info about what type of caravan this is. Any ideas

What the site is basically saying is that they do not want Hobby, Fendt and some other vans on site as they are associated with the travelling community.

It is a pity these sites do not keep up with what is actually happening whereby the travelling community tend to have Bailey , Swift and other UK made vans. 

Posted (edited)

Yes that is reason some sites do have seemingly odd rules regarding foreign built caravans & also commercial vehicles. Usually they have had trouble in the past with non recreational caravanners causing problems. 

in my experience the vast majority of sites are ok with right hand door caravans though. I have never had any issues with mine. 

Edited by Camperdom

It is a short sighted thing to do when you consider that at least 50% of motorhomes sold in the UK are Continental built and have offside habitation doors.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

That implies that 50% of motorhomes sold in the UK are left hand drive ?

It is their site and they can make any rules they like. 

Who are we to say who they should or should not accept? 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

43 minutes ago, OWOMW said:

No it doesn’t.

There are a great many motorhomes and camper vans that are right hand drive but the habitation door is on the offside, mine included.

1 hour ago, OWOMW said:

Not so. The big European manufacturers - Pilote, Rapido (France), Dethleffs, Hymer, Burstner (Germany) etc build on RHD but with the same "body" as they use on their own markets. It would save the expense of re-designing the body of the motorhome - changing the side the door is on etc and reversing the interior. 

Swift however built motorhomes on LHD and the habitation door is on the correct side for the export market. I did however in 2007 have a Swift motorhome with the British body but LHD!

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Posted (edited)

You can get very large >2.5m wide continental caravans as favoured by a certain travelling demographic. 
‘we do not accept continental caravans’ may simply be a way to deny them access.

The storage site I used to use wouldn’t accept  2.5m caravans for that very reason - they attract theft.

Edited by Whomer

Would say Dutch or German caravanners get turned away I wonder ?  Would that even be legal ? Presumably that could be regarded as discrimination ? 

On 03/07/2021 at 18:54, JanandJay said:

Some sites for insurance purposes require the hitch to be facing out. 
I asked at a site once where the view was fantastic at the back of the van and not so at the front. Was told by the owner that all vans have to  have the hitch pointing in the same direction in case of an emergency

which is horse hockey from the owner. How is he going to get the Hitch lock off and tow away a burning caravan? He could TRY asking me to unlock it and remove it, but it won’t happen!

The “reason” used by so many site operators just doesn’t hold any water at all.  

In the real world, when looked at in a non emotional, and  logical manner, it’s just ludicrous when you consider the various obstacles to moving a caravan in a real hurry.

1. Take down the awning (not a quick or easy job) 
  2. Remove the wheel lock (probably without having the key)
  3. Remove the hitch lock (again without the key)
  4. Having to try and hitch up when everyone else is trying to do the same so “jockeying” for position on the narrow access road. 

All of this whilst the Caravan next door (complete with LPG gas cylinder, is burning like a Roman candle?? Not me mate!  I will be intent on getting as much distance between myself and the fire, and sod my caravan, it’s insured,, 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

8 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

In the real world, when looked at in a non emotional, and  logical manner, it’s just ludicrous when you consider the various obstacles to moving a caravan in a real hurry.

4. Having to try and hitch up when everyone else is trying to do the same so “jockeying” for position on the narrow access road. 

All of this whilst the Caravan next door (complete with LPG gas cylinder, is burning like a Roman candle?? Not me mate!  I will be intent on getting as much distance between myself and the fire, and sod my caravan, it’s insured,, 

:Plus1: totally agree, I would be stood right next to you Mr Plod waiting for the experts to arrive and deal with the situation 

Back to the original post am sure the contributors like Brecon are correct when they state it's more to do with the type of clientelle rather than the actual caravan itself and seems very shortsighted. However as also quite rightly stated it's their site they do what they prefer. I've seen  a 'no large gas bottles' clause-that tends to preclude certain types. It might work better than  types of caravan these days and there's far more variety. All interesting and a bit sad.

On 03/07/2021 at 18:11, Ed1973 said:

They probably say that as a coverall so they can turn away any outfit they just don't like the look of.

Fire Extinguisher Conversation moved here

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Sites can make whatever rules they want within reason so trying to second guess some of these is not always possible. In Europe you will find a lot of sites will not take twin axle models possibly to keep out travellers but many do not have the longer pitches. 

Yes travellers will use the largest Baileys and other UK made vans, but if you look at their sites you will see continental ones are the preferred makes. Possibly a backward compliment as if you have to live in it the better made ones are going to be your first choice. 

11 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

Yes travellers will use the largest Baileys and other UK made vans, but if you look at their sites you will see continental ones are the preferred makes. 

Or maybe that’s because continental ones have higher payloads, so they can fit as many (heavy) mirrors inside as they like ;)

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

On 04/07/2021 at 10:47, WispMan said:

It is their site and they can make any rules they like. 

Who are we to say who they should or should not accept? 

That sounds a bit like Pontins' point of view :D

On 04/07/2021 at 22:34, Mr Plodd said:

As a caravaner and not a ground owner i hope they do none of that. reverse up a large vehicle wrap a tug boat chain round the front of the van, in any form or shape and drag that sucker out and into the middle of the field and let it burn. as long as no one is in it , Who cares where it burns as long as its not stood next to mine.

Getting back to the OP though,

Yes its to prevent travellers and nothing else. Millions of years ago they would turn up and pay a nights rent and then you spend 4 months trying to clear them off your site. Fortunately the laws have changed and they are no longer able to do that. People still leave that rule in place due tot the fact that they can turn up and pay rent every night and cause a complete nightmare to everyone and anyone on the campsite.

In theUK i two with a white van derived mini bus and over the years been refused several times. Some will discuss and allow others will not. I have seen the same in Europe with big twins thats down more to the smaller pitches and more confined turnings. I also tow all year and that also causes issues. Its very common to see signs stating no workers as well.

We've holidayed regularly in Europe with a twin axle and usually check and book with sites in advance to avoid any problems. We've never had a problem finding a suitable site in the area we require. I guess even some of those sites supposedly refusing twins might accept someone they thought looked alright if you turn up not having booked, assuming tight access/pitch size is not the reason for their stance.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

• Gordon locked this topic