Whale submersible pump constant switching

CliveB

First time out this year on site.  Whale submersible pump operates OK but:

Whilst a tap is open the relay continually hunts on and off.  I think in the past it stayed off until the tap was closed.

With taps closed the relay clicks regularly every approx. 15 seconds.

Bailey/Whale instructions of little use - no troubleshooting.

My guess is either the pressure needs adjusting (if this is possible?)

or there is a sticky/damaged/gritty non return valve.

Getting by with witching off the pump when not in use.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

IMG_20210703_101122164~2.jpg

IMG_20210702_103814985~2.jpg

light and pump should come on when a tap is opened and the press switch detects a pressure drop and then go off cleanly when the tap is closed.

if yours is clicking on and off it could mean the switch needs slight adjustment, I say slight because the clicking means that it is almost there and the adjuster (inside the van at the side of the inlet) needs only the slightest touch.

I am assuming that it is the whale watermaster EP1612 because that is what it looks like on your pics.

The regular click indicates a pressure drop which could be just a dripping tap but more commonly leaking O rings in the socket housing or plug and the system is just trying to maintain pressure

If it is the watermaster, everything is readily available such as O rings, sockets and repair kits.

I had endless problems with ours and in the end had to change the whole socket (54 quid)

Been perfect ever since.

Posted (edited)

I should lòok for any blocked filters. (Does the flow look good from the tap)

My thinking being if blocked filter p.s. seeing high pressure when called upon so switching off and on.  Also when tap closed maintained pressure leaking through a partially  blocked filter so pump swts  on to maintain pressure .  However if flow good from taps let us know for a rethink. 

Edited by CraigP2005
Add too

Posted (edited)

fwiw ...

Maybe try ......

Assume modern unit & Whale i/c system ? They do need the calibration setting up.

When we had similar issues we resolved after following the pretty simple re-calibration advice on this video :-

M

Edited by montesa

Posted (edited)

It sounds like you have two separate issues

First, the pump pulsing on/off when tap opened. This could be the PS needing a slight tweak, but as CraigP2005 suggests, check the strainers on the tap outlet- they just screw on. 
The second issue is the pump pulsing when all taps turned off. Simplistically, your system is loosing pressure. This could be a tap dripping, a small leak, or (most likely) a bit of muck under the non return valve that’s built into the inlet point. I understand that overhaul kits are available for these items. 
Another common issue is the O ring on the pump connector. These do benefit from a light application of silicone grease. Helps the sealing and make plugging in / removal easier

Edited by Lost in the wilderness
Auto correct

Posted (edited)

Thanks everyone.

Pressure to taps ok, but with the constant on/off it's pulsating.

I have now seen the recallibration video and it looks as though the adjuster needs a tweek anticlockwise.

O rings look ok, but when I disconnect the pump there is a constant trickle of water from the inlet.

First step to adjust pressure switch.

Edit

Lost in the wilderness I was eventually coming to the same conclusion as you.  Two issues, the adjustment and a leaking non return valve.

The adjustment I will try later.  Valve replacement when back home and I have bought a service kit (referred to in another thread I found).

Thanks all.

Edited by CliveB

57 minutes ago, montesa said:

fwiw ...

Maybe try ......

Assume modern unit & Whale i/c system ? They do need the calibration setting up.

When we had similar issues we resolved after following the pretty simple re-calibration advice on this video :-

M

That video from Whale has a more sophisticated electronic pressure switch.

This one looks morr like mine, but poorer quality.

fwiw ...

On our first trip out this year we experienced very similar multiple issues to yours. Dealer said very likely was calibration problems with pump as a starting point - often needs doing periodically. It resolved the issue - we have the Whale i/c. 

It would be my starting point.

If you do not have Whale i/c then follow the other video.

M

I changed O rings and none return valve but just could not get switch to settle down and was continually having to adjust, then I changed complete socket (easy job and flap was broken anyway) Never had a problem since.

Let us know how you get on.

I have finally found the Whale instructions I need for recalibration. Not through the Whale website downloads (only the IC version instructions indexed)

I would post it here, but the pdf is too large and it won't let me!

https://www.whalepumps.com/rv/siteFiles/resources/docs/resource-library/WhaleAdjustingyourpressureswitchb.pdf

But this is the link.

Just to update..

Adjusted the pressure switch as per Whale leaflet.

Very simple job (easier if Bailey hadn't installed pipework and the Truma heater in the way.

Now a nice hum from the pump and a steady water flow.

I still have to tackle the leak as now the pump operates for a second after 2-3 minutes (previously it clicked on/off every 15seconds).

Will be ordering the service kit and replacing the non return valve (which I don't believe can be purchased on its own).

Thanks everyone for the input.

Hi

My name is Hayley and I work in the marketing team at Whale.

Please feel free to contact our Customer Service Team who will do all they can to assist you with your query. You can call them on 0345 9090 911 or email info@whalepumps.com.

Alternatively, please privately send me the best number to get you on and I will get one of our team to give you a call.

Best wishes,

Hayley