2004 hobby 720 whale system

RobPinn

Hi , could anyone advise me on the whale water system.

I had the water system working while we were away , but the last day it packed up , there doesn’t seem to be any power at the socket .

I noticed on the whale it said 12 v . When it was working I was connected to mains , is there a transformer , could that be my problem or is there a fuse somewhere.

cheers 

Rob 

Do you have a battery? 

As the pump works off 12V not the mains. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

To discover what is wrong you need to work methodically eliminating  each possibility as you go.

Did the pump stop working whilst you were still connected to the mains 23”v or was it OK until you disconnected the EHU? 

The pump almost certainly has a fuse, so that’s the very first thing to check. If it has blown you need to find out why. 

If the fuse hasn’t blown Do you have a multimeter so you can check if there is 12 volts at the pump? If you don’t have one do the internal lights still work when not on EHU? If the internal lights still work when not connected to the mains then the fault is on the pump circuit

Is this Caravan new to you? If it is have you actually checked to see if there is a leisure battery fitted? 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

The caravan was connected to the mains only and everything worked OK for most of the holiday then just the water packed up while still connected to mains electricity ,there isn’t a leisure battery , and it wasn’t connected to the car .The submersible works OK because I wired it up to the car battery.

Well if you wired your submersible pump directly to your car battery then tge fault can only be one of three things.

1. Flat car battery
  2. Dead pump
  3. Wiring fault.,

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

39 minutes ago, RobPinn said:

Hi , could anyone advise me on the whale water system.

I had the water system working while we were away , but the last day it packed up , there doesn’t seem to be any power at the socket .

I noticed on the whale it said 12 v . When it was working I was connected to mains , is there a transformer , could that be my problem or is there a fuse somewhere.

cheers 

Rob 

I presume like many Hobbies of that era it hadn't had the optional extra of battery and charger fitted.

Yes there is a 12v transformer, more than likely two , one giving 12v DC which mainly supplied the water pump, hob extractor fan if fitted, toilet water pump and  few lights and anything that required DC. so if any of these are working the 12v transformer is OK.

The 12 AC transformer supplied 99% of the 12v lights and that's all.

As others have said you need to test with a multimeter and yes there is a fuse in the PSU in the wardrobe.

Tracing faults or chasing wiring in early Hobbies can be a nightmare  on the 12v side, AC and DC for two reasons, one because from the fuses / transformers ,there is a bunch of black and white wires that go off here there and everywhere, the only time other colours are seen are at the item they serve, where somewhere along the line, the black and white have been changed, so finding which two wires go to which component is a nightmare.

The second reason is that Hobby won't release wiring loom diagrams, there some on line but are basically useless, especially from the black/white wire era, all they do is show a line diagram of what is connected to which transformer, but with no terminal numbers and as mentioned no coloured cables to allow you to test at both ends.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

Get yourself a cheap leisure battery. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I've just had a quick look at some notes I made years ago and it appears that the 12v DC supplies the following.

Some ceiling lights,  the water pump or pumps if the van has an internal tank, the toilet light, the toilet pump and the space heater fan and are supplied from one fuse 15A ? so if any of these work, the fuse is OK.

With a multimeter you need to check for 12v on the terminals at the back of the socket in the van, if you get 12v  that confirms the fuse and wiring is OK up to there, next test is at the female terminals in the outside of the socket, these can get corroded and open up slightly giving a poor connection, next test is at the pump plug to test for broken or disconnected wires.

If none of the items above work, then you need to check the fuse and wiring.

Does your van have a pump switch in the console above the sink and hob, is this on ? the switch can also become faulty.

2 minutes ago, WispMan said:

Get yourself a cheap leisure battery. 

They don't have a leisure battery or charger as standard, unless the optional kit was fitted by the importer, there are many out there that didn't have them fitted.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

Thanks ,all for your advice, looks like I’ll have to follow the wires back from the socket and see where the go.

Cheers

Rob

Hi

My name is Hayley and I work in the marketing team at Whale.

Please feel free to contact our Customer Service Team who will do all they can to assist you with your query. You can call them on 0345 9090 911 or email info@whalepumps.com.

Alternatively, please privately send me the best number to get you on and I will get one of our team to give you a call.

Best wishes,

Hayley

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.