Service Stations on A1 Durham area?

I'll be towing up the A1 from Yorkshire to Yellowcraig near Edinburgh, and there seem to be a lack of suitable service stations for caravans along the A1 near Durham/Newcastle area. Viewing them on Google maps they appear to be mainly for cars, with very limited HGV parking.

Anyone know of a caravan friendly service station in that area please?

Hi.

Durham services (roadchef) has dedicated caravan and coach bays that are separate from the lorry park. However there's often trucks, cars, vans and motorbikes in there because these spaces are nearest the main building and toilets etc.. 

Washington services (moto) doesn't have dedicated caravan bays, but their carpark is large and often see caravans parked in there.

Garry.

10 minutes ago, GarryH said:

Hi.

Durham services (roadchef) has dedicated caravan and coach bays that are separate from the lorry park. However there's often trucks, cars, vans and motorbikes in there because these spaces are nearest the main building and toilets etc.. 

Thanks Garry. When viewing Durham services on Google Maps it looks like a coach only parking area. Are caravans also allowed in those bays?

Hi.

As far as I'm aware yes, there's always caravans parked in there. 

Durham has Costa, McDonald's, WHSmith and a over priced Garage.

Washington has Greggs, costa, Burger King, WHSmith and a over priced garage. 

8 minutes ago, JCCD said:

Thanks Garry. When viewing Durham services on Google Maps it looks like a coach only parking area. Are caravans also allowed in those bays?

I was there last weekend and although Google Maps shows the area marked for coaches, directions for caravans entering the services directs you to that area. Mind you when I was there half the spaces were occupied by motorbikes and a couple of cars. See my other thread.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

Thanks, I'll keep those two service stations in mind.

I used the Durham service last week , parked in the Coach bay due to the Hgv being full. Had no issues 

KIA SORENTO KX3 2012 Bailey Pageant Limousin SERIES 7 1700 kg

volvo xc70 D5 se

Hi all, new to caravanning and service stations seem a nightmare. Two on way up M1/A1 had only drive in/reverse out or no dedicated bay.

I'm trying an alternative approach - as a Caravan and Motorhome club member I contacted a Ceritified Location near the motorway and asked to pay them for a stopover en route, not pitching or anything just a dog walk and sandwich. They agreed to my request and did not ask for payment though a bottle of wine equivalent will be left.

Just a thought all

Chris

On 02/07/2021 at 07:21, outnumbered said:

I used the Durham service last week , parked in the Coach bay due to the Hgv being full. Had no issues 

how is that getting along? Last time I was a long there it was a building site, I thought it would be tight for getting a caravan around the cones.

2 hours ago, anthdci said:

how is that getting along? Last time I was a long there it was a building site, I thought it would be tight for getting a caravan around the cones.

2 hours ago, anthdci said:

It all done , on the way out you now have to go left, to the roundabout where the new Amazon building is and back up to joint the A1

KIA SORENTO KX3 2012 Bailey Pageant Limousin SERIES 7 1700 kg

volvo xc70 D5 se