Driving in Spain

Getting conflicting info regarding driving in Spain. Some web sites say no International driving permit is required. Others say one is needed. Has anyone had any experience with this post Brexit . TIA

For the £5.50 an IDP costs why not just get one anyway ?

Factored into the cost of getting to and driving in Spain it is minimal

Are we actually going to be allowed to travel to Spain ?? 

I think the UK licence may only be allowed until end of Oct 2021.

UK have allowed Spanish citizens with Spanish driving licences but it is not yet certain that Spain will have a reciprocal agreement. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bob Martin said:

Getting conflicting info regarding driving in Spain. Some web sites say no International driving permit is required. Others say one is needed. Has anyone had any experience with this post Brexit . TIA

The current answer is here:

https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit

Edited by Legal Eagle

1 hour ago, Legal Eagle said:

I think that someone there is making things unnecessarily complicated regarding which version of an IDP is necessary. Those countries which signed the 1968 agreement will only issue the 1968 version regardless of whether one is visiting a country that signed the 1949 or the 1968 agreement, so by that token, the 1968 one should cover 1949, too.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Lutz said:

I think that someone there is making things unnecessarily complicated regarding which version of an IDP is necessary. Those countries which signed the 1968 agreement will only issue the 1968 version regardless of whether one is visiting a country that signed the 1949 or the 1968 agreement, so by that token, the 1968 one should cover 1949, too.

Apparently not. It is about the agreement that the destination country signed, not the issuing country. UK Post Offices can issue any of them as should the issuing authority in every country be able to.

If you disagree, you need to take it up with the UN!

Edited by Legal Eagle

3 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

Apparently not. It is about the agreement that the destination country signed, not the issuing country. UK Post Offices can issue any of them as should the issuing authority in every country.

If you disagree, you need to take it up with the UN!

I'm not disagreeing with anybody, but if a country didn't sign the 1949 agreement but only the 1968 one, it stands to reason that it won't issue the 1949 version.

WispMan
This post was recognized by WispMan!

Legal Eagle was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 2 points.

Just now, Lutz said:

I'm not disagreeing with anybody, but if a country didn't sign the 1949 agreement but only the 1968 one, it stands to reason that it won't issue the 1949 version.

An example - France and Spain signed different agreements. If you needed an IDP to drive in both countries you must obtain the correct agreement versions therefore you would need two IDPs, one for each country that applies to the agreement they accepted and signed. Anything else would not be valid.

When you apply for an IDP you should be asked for which country(s). It stands to reason then that the issuing authority can issue all agreement versions and not just the one for their own country.

Posted (edited)

The issue has only arisen because the UK signed both the 1949 and the 1968 agreements, but a country that only signed one of the two wouldn't have the authority to issue an IDP according to a level to which it was never a party and consequently never agreed to.

Edited by Lutz

Posted (edited)

If you say so, but the UK didn't sign the 1926 version though can still issue a compliant version for Mexico.

As it says in the UK Govt. web page link I posted:

The IDP you need depends on what country you’re visiting.

If you’re travelling through more than one country, you might need more than one type of IDP.

Edited by Legal Eagle

Posted (edited)

I can only comment based on my experience of countries which only signed one agreement and will only issue the respective version accordingly.

Edited by Lutz

Posted (edited)

There are different lengths of validity too so you must be able to obtain the correct version and validity for the country being visited to meet the requirements of the agreement they signed. A 1926 or 1949 permit lasts for 12 months. A 1968 permit lasts for 3 years or until your domestic driving licence expires, whichever comes first.

Edited by Legal Eagle

Posted (edited)

Brit tourists do not need an IDP to drive in EU so to answer op question yes you can drive in Spain on UK licence as a tourist. No plans to change licence requirement for UK tourist’s max 90 day EU hol but UK residents in EU countries are being required to swap their UK licences for licence of their EU country of residence I think. 

Yes Brits can enter Spain as tourists right now either by direct ferry with no test or vac requirements or drive through France compliant with current entry requirements for France ie double vac & antigen tests.  Things could change at anytime of course. 

You do need Green Card for both car & caravan though. Get both from you car insurer. 

Edited by Camperdom

2 hours ago, Legal Eagle said:

There are different lengths of validity too so you must be able to obtain the correct version and validity for the country being visited to meet the requirements of the agreement they signed. A 1926 or 1949 permit lasts for 12 months. A 1968 permit lasts for 3 years or until your domestic driving licence expires, whichever comes first.

All I can say is that here in Germany there is no way that one can be issued with the 1949 version.

But OP is in the UK! 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

32 minutes ago, Lutz said:

All I can say is that here in Germany there is no way that one can be issued with the 1949 version.

From a USA website list of FAQs about IDPs:

My client is traveling to South America, so which permit should I issue?

The 1949 International Driving Permit is valid for South America, EXCEPT Brazil and Uruguay. The 1968 IDP is valid in Brazil and Uruguay, but with some time restrictions.

I'm now going to watch the grass grow for a bit of excitement.

3 hours ago, Camperdom said:

Brit tourists do not need an IDP to drive in EU so to answer op question yes you can drive in Spain on UK licence as a tourist. No plans to change licence requirement for UK tourist’s max 90 day EU hol but UK residents in EU countries are being required to swap their UK licences for licence of their EU country of residence I think. 

Yes Brits can enter Spain as tourists right now either by direct ferry with no test or vac requirements or drive through France compliant with current entry requirements for France ie double vac & antigen tests.  Things could change at anytime of course. 

You do need Green Card for both car & caravan though. Get both from you car insurer. 

Green card no longer required after EU decision on June 30th 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47459859

Yes. Just read that on Guardian website & was about to post the link but you best me to it.  

It all helps I suppose even though it will never be what it was.  

All we need now is for the ridiculous 90 day rule to be amended.

21 minutes ago, stevew1 said:

Easy way round that is to visit countries where the rules doesn't apply such as Croatia or apply for residency in any EU state. I did this years ago and hold Italian residency paperwork. 

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

7 hours ago, stevew1 said:

Do you mean just for EU or for US Australia & most other countries in the world as well ? There’s all sorts of ridiculous rules that have appeared this year. From July 1st EU citizens fully vacced can travel freely in EU space but Brits cannot. Why is that I wonder ?

Yes , just the EU , I can drive to the EU very easily but other countries I may want to visit again such as the US , Australia , New Zealand etc are too expensive for me to spend much more than a month in . I have visited quite a bit of the US over the years , usually for 3 weeks at a time , we had a month in Australia driving & flying around but found it very tiring plus I picked up a very nasty stomach bug there .

As I get older the thought of a flight more than 5 or 6 hours fills me with dread .

On 01/07/2021 at 12:12, Cheltenham Caravanner said:

For the £5.50 an IDP costs why not just get one anyway ?

Factored into the cost of getting to and driving in Spain it is minimal

fwiw...

Purchased both - a Spain zone & a France zone IDP - for the 2 agreements.

Armed with Passport Photos after request the Docs were dug out from back of a draw, then handwritten out and rubber inked stamped by perplexed Postmaster. Do watch out for errors made by PO staff, pointed one out & then corrected.

Prefer to just have them in glovebox, if ever was requested, rather than argue & point out to French & Spanish Police on roadside that they are no longer needed.

SteveW - 90 day rule hassles for us have started mmm. Just booked for Lanzarote 14N in late September (we hope) so as to not eat into the 90 allowance for early January 2022 to Espania (we hope).

Strange times.

M

36 minutes ago, montesa said:

fwiw...

Purchased both - a Spain zone & a France zone IDP - for the 2 agreements.

Armed with Passport Photos after request the Docs were dug out from back of a draw, then handwritten out and rubber inked stamped by perplexed Postmaster. Do watch out for errors made by PO staff, pointed one out & then corrected.

Prefer to just have them in glovebox, if ever was requested, rather than argue & point out to French & Spanish Police on roadside that they are no longer needed.

SteveW - 90 day rule hassles for us have started mmm. Just booked for Lanzarote 14N in late September (we hope) so as to not eat into the 90 allowance for early January 2022 to Espania (we hope).

Strange times.

M

👍👍 , good luck.