Inconsiderate Motorway Services Parking

KnausCol

2 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

You seem to want someone else to speak to the motorway services, why don't you speak to the manager or did you?

Have you ever spoken to the drivers of cars parked in the caravan parking area?

macafee2

Macafee@ - easy to say but some people find it difficult to risk an angry confrontation and would be most uncomfortable approaching drivers of cars parked in caravan spaces (there's every chance that they are inconsiderate louts who would not welcome such an overture)

A further point - we join clubs and organisations so that we can enjoy 'strength in numbers' and have someone to represent our interests.  I don't think it is unreasonable for the OP to ask that the Caravanning Organisations pursue this issue (although they probably do already)

Posted (edited)

This problem is so widespread (IMHO) that one individual, speaking to a "manager" or other totally unknown person is unlikely to achieve anything and is risky

We recently suffered in the same way and had to continue our journey further than we would have liked before finding a place.

Most of the service areas have tiny (compared to our EU experiences which I constantly use as a reference point) cramped, badly designed parking areas.

Not enough caravan specific places which can be driven through (please don't use the "just learn to reverse better" argument)

We don't mind being amongst the lorries but even they are subject to sites that demand a massive juggernaut reverse into a space which needs extra area to allow that and is an obvious safety risk.

Only by the member organisations using their "strength" (rather than being more biased to sales and manufacturers) will anything be improved but I'm not holding my breath as nothing has changed in the 10 years and prior that we have noticed such things!

Edited by DougS

OP has asked "Could the Caravanning Organisations (and other interested parties) make strong representation to the powers that be, to clamp down on this and enforce the fact that these areas are strictly for the vehicles intended?  "  Has the OP spoken to any caravan organisations and asked them to take up the challenge.

I see no issue is asking to speak to the services manager who if my experience is anything to go by, is not available, and asking the manager to deal with the problem.  Find out who the parent company is and contact them.

I accept that some drivers wont like being asked to move or having it pointed out what they are doing is wrong but that is perhaps why they do it, no one challenges them.

There may be times when a solo car is travelling with a towing outfit and so they have parked together.

macafee2

In answer to Macafee2 's post - 1. Yes, I do hope someone in authority would take this matter up with the appropriate bodies. 2.  No, I didn't speak to the drivers - there was no one in the cars or sitting on the motorcycle and 3. I was unable to park the caravan in the first place to go on this quest!

In this day and age confronting wrong-doers can book you a trip to A&E or worse. Also, in this day & age there is an air of increasing selfishness AND an inability to admit you’re wrong. I have been in arguments where the other party would swear black was white rather than admit their guilt.

Anyone confronting a stranger nowadays is a fool. Go through the correct channels or just move on. I have never walked away from confrontation but nowadays I certainly wouldn’t instigate it.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

7 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

In this day and age confronting wrong-doers can book you a trip to A&E or worse. Also, in this day & age there is an air of increasing selfishness AND an inability to admit you’re wrong. I have been in arguments where the other party would swear black was white rather than admit their guilt.

Anyone confronting a stranger nowadays is a fool. Go through the correct channels or just move on. I have never walked away from confrontation but nowadays I certainly wouldn’t instigate it.

Unfortunately Gary, you are so right.  It would have not only been completely impractical to approach them but extremely foolish. 

Caravan organisations complain about inadequate parking? No chance.

Tell them there was no dog walking area and they’d be on it like a flash though!

Roboman, you say you were at “Brent Knoll” and I am not sure whether you were heading north or south.

But on the M5 the northbound side at Sedgmoor services has a big overflow area at the far end of the complex where you can always park, and the southbound side at Taunton Deane services does not present problems for caravans either.

Sedgemoor Northbound caravan parking is a free for all, no trucks (yet), but the newly marked out parking slots are much too small for caravans, so twerps in cars/vans  infiltrate.

Sedgemoor Southbound has seen new tarmac on the old bombsite that used to be for caravans but is now the province of trucks, and the newly designated drivein/driveout caravan bays are populated by trucks, and other mindless twerps in vans.

Most of the discussion here is a repeat of another topic only a couple of weeks ago.

Roger - you only encountered one motorcyclist - I was parked next to about 50 all in the caravan area. details in the topic linked below

Click Here for Link to 'Inconsiderate Parking'

• Steven changed the title to Inconsiderate Motorway Services Parking

This post has moved completely from the original problem of people parking in areas designated for CARAVANS

2 minutes ago, roboman said:

This post has moved completely from the original problem of people parking in areas designated for CARAVANS

It all comes under the heading of "Inconsiderate Parking"

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"