Jump to content

Inconsiderate Motorway Services Parking


KnausCol
 Share

Recommended Posts

I called in at Durham A1 services with the caravan on my way back from Northumberland on Saturday. There is a very clearly designated and very separate caravan/trailer parking area with about eight nice long marked bays that is well away from the car and lorry parks. Despite this half the bays were taken up by a load of motorcycles (a large group travelling together)  and a couple of cars. The site wasn't so busy that the standard car park was full. It seemed to me that the close proximity of the caravan parking area to the services building (cafe, toilets etc.) is what had attracted these people to park there i.e. laziness. I managed to park but whilst there but I spotted at least one other rig that pulled in and there was no space for them.

Why are people so inconsiderate?

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was ever so and always will be. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Indeed it was ever this.  We made the mistake of trying to stop at Maidstone services Sat afternoon & caravan parking area was completely full of Eastern European small courier trucks parked up for weekend. 
 

We actually managed to park to use our toilet in the no parking area by the air pump. At £1 a go for air there were no takers so we were ok for 15mins. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Compared to Germany, France etc, we feel rest areas and parking for caravans in the UK is in dire need of improvement.

Very limited, often full plus the other problems mentioned above.

Abroad, we have found there are the simple rest areas, rest areas with toilets and full service areas all usually with lots of space (very infrequently can be full when lorries are parked up by law)

 


Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KnausCol said:

  . . . . the bays were taken up by a load of motorcycles (a large group travelling together) . . . . .

 

I wonder if they were the same group we found at the M1 Services Skelton Lake, Leeds on the first Saturday in May when travelling to Scarborough from Derby. There were 6 or 7 bikes parked when we went into the service area for a visit to the loo and to get a coffee but goodness knows how many when we returned. Almost all mature gentlemen riding Harley Davidson machines - very few youngsters on fast Jap bikes.

 

First photo a general view with our van in the distance. Second phots shows the view from my car seat - one guy had parked rather close. It reminded me of an old film - was it Clint Eastwood and the orangutan who knocked over a whole row of bikes - if I had opened my door wide the effect would have been the same.

 

Bikes 4.jpg

Bikes 3.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice bikes, just a Hells Angels gathering enjoying a day out with their Harleys.

Obviously too many to fit in the normal bike park area.

 

"Quote very few youngsters on fast Jap bikes."

No way would you find any other make apart from one other American bike (Beulah) possibly in a Hells Angels ride out, and they were probably doing a charity fund raising event.

 

Quote " Almost all mature gentlemen riding Harley Davidson machines" Yes because youngsters simply cannot afford a Harley, and you have to be invited to join whichever Chapter you want to join. You cannot simply fill in a form and join

 

Quote " was it Clint Eastwood and the orangutan who knocked over a whole row of bikes - if I had opened my door wide the effect would have been the same"

 

I wouldn't have rated your chances of surviving what would have happened to you if you had done so.

Edited by Brecon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, DerbyClubman said:

 

I wonder if they were the same group we found at the M1 Services Skelton Lake, Leeds on the first Saturday in May when travelling to Scarborough from Derby.

Looks very much like they could be - several chapters of Hells Angels.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KnausCol said:

 … … the close proximity of the caravan parking area to the services building (cafe, toilets etc.) … …

Well that’s very unusual … caravan parking is normally at the furthest extreme of the parking areas because they think we just want to park up, use our own toilet, brew our own tea, eat our own sandwiches and go - so no profit for them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Brecon said:

Nice bikes, just a Hells Angels gathering enjoying a day out with their Harleys.

Obviously too many to fit in the normal bike park area.

 

"Quote very few youngsters on fast Jap bikes."

No way would you find any other make apart from one other American bike (Beulah) possibly in a Hells Angels ride out, and they were probably doing a charity fund raising event.

 

Quote " Almost all mature gentlemen riding Harley Davidson machines" Yes because youngsters simply cannot afford a Harley, and you have to be invited to join whichever Chapter you want to join. You cannot simply fill in a form and join

 

Quote " was it Clint Eastwood and the orangutan who knocked over a whole row of bikes - if I had opened my door wide the effect would have been the same"

 

I wouldn't have rated your chances of surviving what would have happened to you if you had done so.


 

more likely to be middle aged fake angels with their ‘choppers’ and the ‘outlaw’ gear bought off the peg from a Harley dealer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One word (no make that two) sums that situation up for me

 

Ignorance

Inconsiderate

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just an organised gang of criminals out for a days charity funding 😂😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 30/06/2021 at 16:23, Whomer said:


 

more likely to be middle aged fake angels with their ‘choppers’ and the ‘outlaw’ gear bought off the peg from a Harley dealer.

Probably correct - when I had my Harley, I used to ride with the Valhalla MC Club based in York.  Harley jacket with tassles, leather jeans, black helmets, shades - all the gear.  In our group was a retired senior police officer (me), barrister, doctor, and loads of other 'professionals' - but we must have looked threatening in a group of 30 or 40 Harleys.  That said, we raised a shed load of money for such as the RNLI and other charities and every Christmas had a ride-out to take presents to kids in the local hospitals. Appearances can be deceptive:)

VW Touareg Escape towing a 2018 Knaus Starclass 695

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29/06/2021 at 22:41, DerbyClubman said:

 

I wonder if they were the same group we found at the M1 Services Skelton Lake, Leeds on the first Saturday in May when travelling to Scarborough from Derby. There were 6 or 7 bikes parked when we went into the service area for a visit to the loo and to get a coffee but goodness knows how many when we returned. Almost all mature gentlemen riding Harley Davidson machines - very few youngsters on fast Jap bikes.

 

First photo a general view with our van in the distance. Second phots shows the view from my car seat - one guy had parked rather close. It reminded me of an old film - was it Clint Eastwood and the orangutan who knocked over a whole row of bikes - if I had opened my door wide the effect would have been the same.

 

Bikes 4.jpg

Bikes 3.jpg

Did you consider speaking to them?:) Always go for the largest rider...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hells Angels, probably not.  HOG members - more than likely (Harley Owners Group). As has been said, mainly retired riders with a bit of spare cash to lavish on their hobby .... a bit like many caravaners and motorhomers (in fact I'd bet a lot of them enjoyed both hobbies)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Never understood the appeal of Harley’s, very agricultural compared to other bikes. Fine for dead smooth straight roads, but not a lot of use on the twisty bits.

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 30/06/2021 at 16:51, Mr Plodd said:

One word (no make that two) sums that situation up for me

 

Ignorance

Inconsiderate

Just like the red car in the first photo. :rolleyes:

 

When out on the Ducati or sons R1 I come across many instances of inconsiderate and ignorant motorists, odd that I don't come across the same number when in my car, yet my visibility, yellow bike, yellow helmet, day glow bib etc is far greater.

 

I've lost count of the " Oh I didn't see you " excuse for their incompetence.;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The main problem is that a motorbike has a very small frontal area, so many drivers look but don’t see what is actually there. I experienced similar things when riding patrol bike in the Police, and you don’t see many bikes more visible than those on the roads.

 

I recall one occasion when turning right off an A class road, did the vital “lifesaver” check over the right shoulder just before turning  ⁉️⁉️there’s a boy racer overtaking me ( at about 80 I reckon) despite the double white line system down the middle of the road. My turn was aborted very swiftly In order I might “have words” with him.

Had I not done the “lifesaver” check I would have probably been killed :angry:

 

He didn’t get a ticket, he went to court and got a 6 month ban for his troubles. He had only had a full licence for less than a month at the time of the incident. 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Never understood the appeal of Harley’s, very agricultural compared to other bikes. Fine for dead smooth straight roads, but not a lot of use on the twisty bits.

 A fellow I used to work with took exception when I called his pride and joy ( a Harley) a tractor. :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

The main problem is that a motorbike has a very small frontal area, so many drivers look but don’t see what is actually there. I experienced similar things when riding patrol bike in the Police, and you don’t see many bikes more visible than those on the roads.

 

I recall one occasion when turning right off an A class road, did the vital “lifesaver” check over the right shoulder just before turning  ⁉️⁉️there’s a boy racer overtaking me ( at about 80 I reckon) despite the double white line system down the middle of the road. My turn was aborted very swiftly In order I might “have words” with him.

Had I not done the “lifesaver” check I would have probably been killed :angry:

 

He didn’t get a ticket, he went to court and got a 6 month ban for his troubles. He had only had a full licence for less than a month at the time of the incident. 


Turning right? Did you indicate Andy?!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dave Capiro owner said:


Turning right? Did you indicate Andy?!  

 

What do you think :rolleyes:

 

 

7 hours ago, Flat_at said:

 A fellow I used to work with took exception when I called his pride and joy ( a Harley) a tractor. :D

 

The truth often hurts ! 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

There's a massive difference between an MCC and an MC. Wearing a central backpatch with top and bottom rockers makes these guys an MC.

 

It's difficult to make out the logo on the patch, but it certainly isn't the Hell's Angels Deaths Head. Nor is it Charlie, the Outlaws skull and crossed pistons, which are the  biggest MC in this country. I'm pretty sure they're Satan's Slaves, another well established 1%er MC.  Who play by the MC rules and are collectively or individually not to be messed with. Very disciplined, very committed to their club and their brothers, they follow a strict set of rules that the rest of us wouldn't recognise.

 

They certainly won't give a damn about parking where they shouldn't, their only priority is to stay together. And no services staff are going to tell them otherwise.

 

An MCC or HOG, I'd be more dismissive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyway - back to the original topic. We've given up trying to park in Caravan bays at Services, these seem now to be the province of White Van man or, at Stansted Services - the AA!

We go and park with the Trucks. Never had a problem, most Truck drivers are very courteous and there are always eyeballs about to keep an eye on your rig. Another bonus is the Truck park is normally closer to the Services building than the designated Caravan spaces,

 

Cheers

Keith 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stopped off at Rowhams services westbound on M27 lunch time today. Caravan parking combined with truck parking. Loads of bays available! 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On a recent trip out with our caravan, we once again came across the same old problem at Motor Way Service areas.    No where to park up to rest and get refreshment.   Although designated areas have been clearly marked as ‘CARAVANS ONLY’, we found cars parked there and even, at Brent Knoll, a single motor bike was blocking any outfit from driving into the long slots provided and having to drive on.

This is not only a lazy and selfish act but can be extremely dangerous.  ‘Tiredness Can Kill – Take a Rest’ says the signs, but when you are forced to continue driving on because of these ignorant people, it is not conducive to Road Safety.

Could the Caravanning Organisations (and other interested parties) make strong representation to the powers that be, to clamp down on this and enforce the fact that these areas are strictly for the vehicles intended?  As it is a road safety issue, should it not be illegal to ignore these signs? I’m sure a large number of members have experienced this annoying problem

Roger

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, roboman said:

On a recent trip out with our caravan, we once again came across the same old problem at Motor Way Service areas.    No where to park up to rest and get refreshment.   Although designated areas have been clearly marked as ‘CARAVANS ONLY’, we found cars parked there and even, at Brent Knoll, a single motor bike was blocking any outfit from driving into the long slots provided and having to drive on.

This is not only a lazy and selfish act but can be extremely dangerous.  ‘Tiredness Can Kill – Take a Rest’ says the signs, but when you are forced to continue driving on because of these ignorant people, it is not conducive to Road Safety.

Could the Caravanning Organisations (and other interested parties) make strong representation to the powers that be, to clamp down on this and enforce the fact that these areas are strictly for the vehicles intended?  As it is a road safety issue, should it not be illegal to ignore these signs? I’m sure a large number of members have experienced this annoying problem

Roger

You seem to want someone else to speak to the motorway services, why don't you speak to the manager or did you?

Have you ever spoken to the drivers of cars parked in the caravan parking area?

 

macafee2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Steven changed the title to Inconsiderate Motorway Services Parking

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...