Corner steadies - question.

17 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

OK, ignoring my last post for  a moment........

What does your manufacturer recommend Steve??  (Genuine question, not trying to catch you out):

Hi Andy, everything in my reply to you 7 hours ago

2 minutes ago, Steven said:

Hi Andy, everything in my reply to you 7 hours ago

:Thankyou: 

I thought there might have been something else other than that! 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

50 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

:Thankyou: 

I thought there might have been something else other than that! 

Just searched and found the topic where Swift confirmed it, third post from bottom on first page

Thanks for taking the time to find that thread (all the arguments seem the same don’t they?) Pretty unambiguous BUT on my Caravan the jockey wheel is mounted on the outside of one chassis rail not in the middle.

Nothings ever simple is it?

3 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Thanks for taking the time to find that thread (all the arguments seem the same don’t they?) Pretty unambiguous BUT on my Caravan the jockey wheel is mounted on the outside of one chassis rail not in the middle.

Nothings ever simple is it?

Where the jockey wheel is located has no bearing on whether it is retracted or not.

I only mentioned it because Swift mention the location in the thread  you linked to.

Slightly off topic but when we had our Bailey that we stored at home we always removed the Jockey wheel

(outside mounted type as mentioned by Mr Plodd) purely as a security measure.....At least we knew if we saw somebody walking along with a jockey wheel we knew:

1-It wasn't ours

2-They might be coming to steal our van.

If you removed the jockey wheel then what was the front of the van resting on? 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

3 minutes ago, WispMan said:

If you removed the jockey wheel then what was the front of the van resting on? 

The front steadies.....this principle was only used while being stored at home and not in use.

Recently at a site I observed a young couple setting up what looked like a brand new caravan.

I was impressed when he backed the caravan almost expertly onto the pitch, but then he started to wind down the steadies. No use made of jockey wheel to level fore and aft and the steadies were used to level side to side as well - he had a very powerful electric drill.

However, he seemed to know what he was doing and correctly connected the EHU cable and rapidly connected up aquaroll and wastemaster.

When they came to leave they were having a lot of trouble hitching up and I noticed that they were using the jockey wheel when the rear steadies were still down.

Not sure I would want to buy that van.

2 hours ago, OWOMW said:

Recently at a site I observed a young couple setting up what looked like a brand new caravan.

I was impressed when he backed the caravan almost expertly onto the pitch, but then he started to wind down the steadies. No use made of jockey wheel to level fore and aft and the steadies were used to level side to side as well - he had a very powerful electric drill.

However, he seemed to know what he was doing and correctly connected the EHU cable and rapidly connected up aquaroll and wastemaster.

When they came to leave they were having a lot of trouble hitching up and I noticed that they were using the jockey wheel when the rear steadies were still down.

Not sure I would want to buy that van.

Were the steadies used to unhitch it from the car?