Santa Fe 2009 towing questions

100leelee

Hi

have a 2009 manual Santa Fe.

Towed for the first time last weekend and have a couple of questions for fellow Santa Fe owners past or present!

I have towed for most of the past 15 years or so, many tow cars etc so kinda know what to expect..!

The Santa Fe seems to have a ‘noisy’ rear end, not overly so, but definitely more than I would consider normal.. is this a common complaint? There is a slight ‘clunk’ when changing gear, again excessive? I don’t know..

Power wise seems okay, being only a 5 speed to gaps between gears is very noticeable when towing, though copes with it well.

Any feedback welcomed!

thanks

Get the universal joints on the two propshafts checked for excessive wear. Also the suspension mounts on the rear axle fir corrosion.

Hi we had a 58 plate manual years ago. Coped pretty well especially considering we towed a twin axle Crusader Sirocco with it and it only had about 160bhp.

Cant remember any noises from the rear although ours had a drive shaft replaced which made a bit of a clunking noise.

Be careful with reverse as quite a few had issues with clutch and DMF overheating and causing problems (ours was replaced under warranty).

All in a pretty decent car and we currently are on our 5th Santa Fe (a66 reg) would love a new one but they’re pretty expensive.

Duncan

We had a 2009 automatic for 10 years and it towed our vans excellently. Obviously I can’t comment specifically on the manual but reckon it’s a great tug.

Thanks for the replies.. will reply when have done a few checks..!

Hi

Propshaft joints seem ok.

Mountings look fine, no excessive movement…

Then, as was moving around under the car, nudged the spare wheel.. this was literally moving around freely.. hence the ‘clunk’ noise as it hit the towbar!!

Tightened the support frame and all seems well so far!!

Lesson: never take things have been done correctly, check everything..!!

Keep a close eye on your spare wheel, they have a habit of being stolen