Do the French use roll type water containers?

Hi All,

This is a bit of a random question but what do our European caravanners use to store their water?  Do they use roll type barrels?  Do they use jerry can type containers?  It's been a while since we were in France and I can't remember what they were using.

Thanks for your responses.

Bob

in my experience no. You often see the French staring in admiration when you fill yours at the tap!

2 minutes ago, MalH said:

in my experience no. You often see the French staring in admiration when you fill yours at the tap!

That was my impression too, but wondered if my memory had failed me.  Thanks.

13 minutes ago, MalH said:

Staring in admiration? No not really. The Brits seem to want their caravans to be like little houses, whereas the French are natural campers, and having water standing at the pitch is not really what the French like to do. Even more staring and pointing if you use a Wastemaster, because they are not sure what is in it!

1 minute ago, Ern said:

Staring in admiration? No not really. The Brits seem to want their caravans to be like little houses, whereas the French are natural campers, and having water standing at the pitch is not really what the French like to do. Even more staring and pointing if you use a Wastemaster, because they are not sure what is in it!

What do the french do for water and waste?

macafee2

Most foreign caravans have onboard water tanks filled with a watering can. 

Plenty of foreign caravanners do use wastemasters under caravan. 

Edited by Camperdom

4 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

macafee2

They use bottled water for making coffee and use the on site toilets and showers 

We have often found no separate area to empty the Wastemaster - you feel so guilty emptying it at the fresh (potable) water drain. Sometimes there’s a little wall around the drain, making it harder to empty, but it’s all in the fun of caravanning on the continent.

They don't seem concerned about simply letting grey waste trickle onto their pitch - at best they run a pipe into the nearest bush!

Some years ago at an overnight stop I emptied a Fiamma waste container down a drain alongside a tap.

Looks of horror and consternation from local residents.

As I rolled the waste container away some campers appeared with cleaners and disinfectants.

I later realised that the waste container was roughly the same shape and size as a toilet cassette and they were not familiar with the habit of collecting waste water for safe disposal.

Some dirty looks as we left.

14 minutes ago, CliveB said:

Some years ago at an overnight stop I emptied a Fiamma waste container down a drain alongside a tap.

Looks of horror and consternation from local residents.

As I rolled the waste container away some campers appeared with cleaners and disinfectants.

I later realised that the waste container was roughly the same shape and size as a toilet cassette and they were not familiar with the habit of collecting waste water for safe disposal.

Some dirty looks as we left.

Yes, I have had the same experience in Spain and Italy and it wasn’t just looks of horror and consternation that I got, but downright aggressive comments from the locals.

I suppose it depends what you put down your sink. We normally just wash hands & rinse teacups etc. Caravan plumbing is not household plumbing.  Provided it is just a bit of soap & mostly water there is little issue with it soaking into ground anyway. 

33 minutes ago, Camperdom said:

Provided it is just a bit of soap & mostly water there is little issue with it soaking into ground anyway. 

I tend to agree, after all most CL owners tell you to 'chuck it in the hedge' to limit the amount of waste going into the sceptic tank. The problem is fragments of food being left on the surface to attract vermin. That said, I have to confess to using a lemonade bottle with holes drilled in the bottom and a layer of grit to act as a filter, but this was many moons ago!

When touring in France with the CCC we were instructed on the sites we used to drain grey water onto the flower beds as a means of irrigation.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

19 hours ago, MalH said:

I tend to agree, after all most CL owners tell you to 'chuck it in the hedge' to limit the amount of waste going into the sceptic tank. The problem is fragments of food being left on the surface to attract vermin. That said, I have to confess to using a lemonade bottle with holes drilled in the bottom and a layer of grit to act as a filter, but this was many moons ago!

We use a length of hose with a leg from a pair of tights tie wrapped to the end. This allows the liquid to flow away but retains all solids, at the end of the holiday remove the tie wrap and either dispose of the tights or invert over a bin to dispose of the solids and then rinse and reuse.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Many French sites are in septic tank and very understandably sensitive at what goes in them.  The chemicals and soaps in waste water can destroy the natural bacteria working in the septic tank, plus the extra volume fills them up quicker and the cost of emptying them is high.   They also insist on certain bio toilet chemicals for the same reason. 

The simple answer is just ask ?   Most will be only to happy to say the flower beds etc for irrigation.  Food scraps should never go down the sinks. If you’ve ever had to unblock a  pipe you would know why.  Hanging offence. 

Aqua rolls used in the 80 s did indeed bring gasps of admiration as did motor movers.  

Edited by Alan Stanley

On 27/06/2021 at 08:51, macafee2 said:

macafee2

They drag very little fresh water or waste water about - much the same way campers with tents .

2 hours ago, Steven said:

We use a length of hose with a leg from a pair of tights tie wrapped to the end. This allows the liquid to flow away but retains all solids, at the end of the holiday remove the tie wrap and either dispose of the tights or invert over a bin to dispose of the solids and then rinse and reuse.

They would need to be washed properly for my Better Half;)

Edited by SamD

On 27/06/2021 at 08:52, Camperdom said:

Most foreign caravans have onboard water tanks filled with a watering can. 

Plenty of foreign caravanners do use wastemasters under caravan. 

On 27/06/2021 at 08:57, moorgate said:

They use bottled water for making coffee and use the on site toilets and showers 

When abroad very similar to the above quotes and as ex campers very happy with the following:-

Onboard water tank  filled from a 10l jerry can. Drained before leaving sites.

Drinking water in a jug direct from a tap if possible.

Use site facilities for toilets, showers and washing up.

Waste into a bucket which is easy to empty into surrounding vegetation as little volume produced.

Hot water reservoir in caravan is sealed off with valves, so no water wasted filling or emptying. Can soon heat water on a ring if needed.

Don't take Aquaroll or Wastemaster with us so no problem storing when travelling between sites.

John.

Edited by John19

On 27/06/2021 at 10:21, Lutz said:

Yes, I have had the same experience in Spain and Italy and it wasn’t just looks of horror and consternation that I got, but downright aggressive comments from the locals.

This made me smile as it reminded me of the time the exact same thing happened to us on a site in Holland. I was emptying our square black waste container when a man approached and started yelling at me.

He clearly assumed that I was emptying a toilet, and that I was Dutch, so my puzzled looks and shrugging of shoulders seemed to irritate him.

Had he been a little less aggressive I may have have laughed less when our Dutch friends appeared, explained what I was doing and demanded that he apologise for his behaviour.

4 hours ago, SamD said:

They would need to be washed properly for my Better Half;)

Go on give her a treat and buy her some new ones :) 

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

2 minutes ago, Steven said:

Go on give her a treat and buy her some new ones :) 

Nah - I'm too tights!