Help please. Everything is different.

Paulines7

2 hours ago, Griff said:

Slim shot here but our regulator has a crash sensor and after every journey it needs resetting otherwise no gas.

Not sure if they had this feature in 2010. :unsure:

Thanks for your post Griff.  There is no mention of a crash sensor in the Baileys handbook.  I will take a photo of it shortly and post it on here.  

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Silversurf said:

If the gas is turned on at the bottle fitting shown in your photo and the yellow handle, if fitted, shown in Mr. Plods photo is in the down position and you are operating the gas tap on the hob correctly, i.e. turning it on and pushing it down, then gas should flow from the burner.

However, when a gas system hasn't been used in a while and a new bottle is fitted, it can take a little while to purge air out of the gas pipes.

Next time you try, if it doesn't light, keep the gas tap turned and pushed down for a min. or so , if it has auto ignition it should light eventually, if hasn't got got auto ignition, a separate button, keep the tap pushed and turned, don't push this button and if alls well you will eventually smell gas, the best burner to use when purging air is the largest burner.

Have you tried any other gas appliances fitted ?

You may have hit the nail on the head, Silversurf.   The previous owner told me that they hadn't used the van for well over a year.   It has a separate button for the spark so I will try turning and pressing the hob control tap until I smell gas.  

I haven't tried  any other gas appliances other than the hob.  

I tried turning and pressing the hob control tap until I smelt gas but none was coming through.  I rechecked the gas valves, the yellow switch on the regulator and decided to take the pigtail off.  It wouldn't come off so I tried turning the black key but it wouldn't move.   I then pushed in the little red thing on the black key as shown in the picture below and the black key then turned.  Instead of the pigtail coming off,  it snapped firmly into place.  I went back into the caravan  and ..........

The hob lit straight away.

I would like to thank you all very much for your help.    I have learned a lot from you all in this post alone and am grateful it is sorted before we go away next month. 

Here is the pigtail in question showing the little red thing on the black key. 

DSCI0200.JPG.277cf3491f8a46de9923cbacbb22b8fa.JPG 

Pleased to read of your success.

1 hour ago, JTQ said:

Pleased to read of your success.

Thank you JTQ but it was thanks to you and all the other people who answered with their suggestions. 

Hurrah!! 

Someone who has managed to sort a problem thanks to  members of the forum and they have taken the time to return and let us all know. :Thankyou:

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

8 hours ago, Paulines7 said:

Thank you JTQ but it was thanks to you and all the other people who answered with their suggestions. 

Another nice thing is that your question prompted many answers that could very well  have been the solution, as with many problems there can be many causes and the replies will be a good source of info of what and where to look for folk with similar problems.

Hi Pauline, As you are flushed with success, did you sort the toilet?!!

2 hours ago, Allan Guest said:

Hi Pauline, As you are flushed with success, did you sort the toilet?!!

:D :D :D     I haven't put any water in the flush but only because I don't want to fill it before we go away! 

At least I know that it's no different to filling the flush in the Lunar loo except that the water and pink liquid go into the hole under the flap on the side of the caravan.  

3 hours ago, Paulines7 said:

:D :D :D     I haven't put any water in the flush but only because I don't want to fill it before we go away! 

At least I know that it's no different to filling the flush in the Lunar loo except that the water and pink liquid go into the hole under the flap on the side of the caravan.  

To maybe save you some angst when filling the toilet cistern. Many folk see water in the filler spout and think the cistern/tank is full. Don't be fooled, the spout always has a layer of water in it.

You should see a clear plastic pipe mounted vertically to one side of the cassette locker. That pipe shows the water level in the tank and usually you can go on pouring a substantial additional amount into the tank before it shows full. Or you could just keep on pouring 'til the spout overflows and soaks your shoes.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

DONT be tempted to travel with much water in the flush tank at all, it sloshes about and can escape  into the caravan ! (If full it also takes about 10kg of your already meagre payload! ) 

20 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

DONT be tempted to travel with much water in the flush tank at all, it sloshes about and can escape  into the caravan ! (If full it also takes about 10kg of your already meagre payload! ) 

:goodpost:

21 hours ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

To maybe save you some angst when filling the toilet cistern. Many folk see water in the filler spout and think the cistern/tank is full. Don't be fooled, the spout always has a layer of water in it.

You should see a clear plastic pipe mounted vertically to one side of the cassette locker. That pipe shows the water level in the tank and usually you can go on pouring a substantial additional amount into the tank before it shows full. Or you could just keep on pouring 'til the spout overflows and soaks your shoes.

"Or you could just keep on pouring 'til the spout overflows and soaks your shoes." I will be very careful as the input for the loo flush water is on the outside of my caravan and if I overfill it, the pink and water mixture could run down and stain the bodywork.  

Another good reason for forsaking additives in the flush water. Plain water wouldn't stain. NB additives in flush water whether pink, puce, green, purple or blue are not mandatory and are expensive perfumed deodorisers. Much cheaper and no risk of black bits in the flush water if you just keep a spray bottle of diluted pink by the toilet and spray the bowl after use, if you must have perfume.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

:Plus1:

On 02/07/2021 at 15:06, Steamdrivenandy said:

Another good reason for forsaking additives in the flush water. Plain water wouldn't stain. NB additives in flush water whether pink, puce, green, purple or blue are not mandatory and are expensive perfumed deodorisers. Much cheaper and no risk of black bits in the flush water if you just keep a spray bottle of diluted pink by the toilet and spray the bowl after use, if you must have perfume.

Fortunately, I have never had black bits in the flush water and have always used the pink liquid.  I have very little left in the bottle now but before I buy some more, I wondered whether Domestos 5 rim blocks would be suitable instead.  I use them in our home loos.   They cost £1 from most Supermarkets,  give off a lovely smell and last for ages.  Has anyone ever tried them in caravan loos?  

image.png.277f8266330fbb96ab450ffa32e249cd.png 

I'm not sure whether or not it is an intentional feature of proper caravan flush liquid (I usually use Thetford Pink) but I've sometimes noticed a 'film' effect in our loo i.e. on opening the slide for use, there is a bubble like soapy film sealing across the aperture. I think this must help ensure an air tight seal when the slide is closed which can only be a good thing. Obviously you wouldn't get this advantage using only water. Anyone else experience the same?

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

44 minutes ago, KnausCol said:

I'm not sure whether or not it is an intentional feature of proper caravan flush liquid (I usually use Thetford Pink) but I've sometimes noticed a 'film' effect in our loo i.e. on opening the slide for use, there is a bubble like soapy film sealing across the aperture. I think this must help ensure an air tight seal when the slide is closed which can only be a good thing. Obviously you wouldn't get this advantage using only water. Anyone else experience the same?

I too get the bubble/film on the slide … … but I’ve never used additives, just plain flushing water.

4 hours ago, Paulines7 said:

Fortunately, I have never had black bits in the flush water and have always used the pink liquid.  I have very little left in the bottle now but before I buy some more, I wondered whether Domestos 5 rim blocks would be suitable instead.  I use them in our home loos.   They cost £1 from most Supermarkets,  give off a lovely smell and last for ages.  Has anyone ever tried them in caravan loos?  

image.png.277f8266330fbb96ab450ffa32e249cd.png 

NO. There is a significant risk that using these will stop the chemicals working. If you ever forgot to add the chemicals, you really know about it at emptying time. 
Also consider if they may damage the plastic bowl of the toilet 

21 minutes ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

:Plus1:

1 hour ago, -Jim- said:

I too get the bubble/film on the slide … … but I’ve never used additives, just plain flushing water.

That's surprising. The surface tension of plain water is not very conducive to bubble forming.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

7 hours ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

NO. There is a significant risk that using these will stop the chemicals working. If you ever forgot to add the chemicals, you really know about it at emptying time. 

We have never forgotten to add the blue liquid but I did wonder if the Domestos rim product could damage the plastic bowl of the toilet as it contains a lot of chemicals.   I don't know the answer to that so perhaps I had better stick to using the pink rinse.